Thread: Cloaking Device and Manuevers

Question Cloaking Device and Manuevers

Okay, we know the cloaking device is a really nifty thing to have, but takes a while to transition between cloaked and shooting.

How would you simulate this in your game? Also, what if the commander isn't as clumsy as Kruge and wants to decloak only seconds before firing (instead of leaving time for shock/awe dialog)?

My approach is based somewhat on submarine style procedure, with submerged/surfaced roughly analagous to cloaked/uncloaked.

Perhaps a Starship Manuever (probably Tier Three), that allows a starship to decloak as her first action, then fire as her second- but I'm still working out the bugs. Personally, I think one combat action is too short a time for the transition.

Also, what about a cloaked ship stalking a target? The range modifiers for the sensors will work nicely in covering the distance aspect, but what about the alert levels of the crew? I somehow doubt that starships conduct in-depth scans for cloaked vessels while cruising normally. Perhaps a +2 modifier to scans at yellow alert, and +3 when at Red Alert or specifically scanning?

Any input on what is obviously symptomatic of a severe mental breakdown would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Cloaking Device and Manuevers

Originally posted by selek
    Okay, we know the cloaking device is a really nifty thing to have, but takes a while to transition between cloaked and shooting.

How would you simulate this in your game? Also, what if the commander isn't as clumsy as Kruge and wants to decloak only seconds before firing (instead of leaving time for shock/awe dialog)?

My approach is based somewhat on submarine style procedure, with submerged/surfaced roughly analagous to cloaked/uncloaked.

Perhaps a Starship Manuever (probably Tier Three), that allows a starship to decloak as her first action, then fire as her second- but I'm still working out the bugs. Personally, I think one combat action is too short a time for the transition.

Also, what about a cloaked ship stalking a target? The range modifiers for the sensors will work nicely in covering the distance aspect, but what about the alert levels of the crew? I somehow doubt that starships conduct in-depth scans for cloaked vessels while cruising normally. Perhaps a +2 modifier to scans at yellow alert, and +3 when at Red Alert or specifically scanning?

Any input on what is obviously symptomatic of a severe mental breakdown would be greatly appreciated.
    See the "Cloaked Attack" maneuver in Starships. Also note that the description of cloaking devices indicates that an undetected cloaked ship always surprises any opponent.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.