Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "New Frontier" box set

"New Frontier" box set

Hey there

I have just read the Peter David novel "gods above" and found myself thinking what a nice setting the author created with the "ST-New Frontier" series.

Being a long time fan of boxed roleplaying supplements (like the DarkStryder box with WEG's Star Wars) I was thinking if there is any possibility of a "new frontier" setting box to be published.
    Not really in the next year or two, with still so many canon material to put into sourcebooks, but after that.

I'd love to see a box containing all the information about the series so far. Detailed character and ship write-ups. Maps of the sector and background info on the Thallonian Empire, the Danteri and the Xenexians.

Would you be interested in such a boxed set?

Would I be interested in it? You bet.

Will it happen? I think there's a slightly better chance of me being unanimously elected Emperor of the USA.

Then again, PAD's prolific enough that he might be able to write the whole thing by himself, which might cut down on some of the "rights" questions, which seem to be the only thing that hangs these books up as much as the printers do.

So if they DO decide to do it, we might actually see the book by, oh, 2006 or so.

Unless Decipher gets the rights to convert the OTHER Tolkein books to the LotR RPG system... then it's more like 2050.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

I think Dec. agreement with Paramount only covers official material (ie whatever hits the screen.) Which, given how bad Nem was, is very unfortunate.

Regardless these are some of the best Trek Stories out there. I am trying to design some of the races into CODA for my game. Going throught all my New Frontier Books to get what I can on Xenexian, Hermate and Brikar as well as fan based write ups to agree and disagree with the races.
    It is fun to speculate and maybe we should try to make the game ourselves maybe?
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Nem??? What about Ent…ah, ferget it…

Seriously, even with Dec’s agreements with Paramount, it wouldn’t prevent/stop PAD from making a ‘sourcebook’ of sorts through say ‘Pocket Books’ ala “Mr. Scott’s guide to the Enterprise” (Sure it wouldn't have 'game stats', but it would provide enough background for us to fill in the blanks).

Heck, even an annotated edition of his pervious works in the series would be good. The hiccup in this case is/would be the ‘Filmation’ stuff (M’ress and Arex). Paramount basically can’t /doesn’t want anything to do with ‘Star Trek: The Animated Series’, to the point where it’s been classed as ‘non-continuity’…of course how PAD got around this, that’s anybody’s guess (after all, ‘prolific’ only goes so far)
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Sorry, my mistake. I thought the question was "could there ever be a New Frontier game supplement. A unoffical non game book probably would be possible, if the writer ever felt like compiling one.

at least there's a NF minipedia. I want Diane Duane and Shatner minipedias.

Hmmm... the original question was "could there be an official "New Frontier" boxed set" :-)

The StarWars box I mentioned above had some original material, the background story, written by Timothy Zahn, the author of IMO best SW novels out there (The Thrawn trilogy) so maybe we shouldn't give up hope on a box with material by PD. Hmmm, probably wishful thinking, though, considering the legal stuff and so on.

But a PB published sourcebook would be very much appreciated.

If I find the time I will start building the crews of the Starships Trident and Excalibur. Perhaps to be encountered by my PC's in the future... Perhaps if we through together our creations over time we will end up having our self designed setting.

T'lara - Would you mind sharing your species write-ups? I'd love to give my player's ship a brikar asap :-)

Different types of Star Wars products exchange information all the time. There's plenty of information from novels in both SWRPGs. Star Trek almost never does this. I guess you could count the TAS stuff in Starcharts, and there's the Calhoun action figure, and I guess there's a few other things, but Trek has a different policy than Wars.

You're right. Too bad.

Originally posted by Cochrane
    Different types of Star Wars products exchange information all the time. There's plenty of information from novels in both SWRPGs. Star Trek almost never does this. I guess you could count the TAS stuff in Starcharts, and there's the Calhoun action figure, and I guess there's a few other things, but Trek has a different policy than Wars.
    To best sum it up, All of the Star Wars material out there (Movies, Books, RPG, Video Games, Ect...) is Continuity untill Lucas decides otherwise (Hell, Tim Zahn is the one who gave Coruscant it's name in the Thrawn Trilogy and it was used in the Movies). While with Trek the only thing that is continuity are the Movies and TV Episodes and a few select books written by show staffers

Would i love to see a New Frontiers Sourcebook? Hell Yes

Likelyhood that Decipher would be allowed to publish one? Not Very

Maybe this link can help a fan project

http://www.geocities.com/lilladn/Hypedia_x.html

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC
    Maybe this link can help a fan project

http://www.geocities.com/lilladn/Hypedia_x.html
    Great link indeed. The thread about Brikars started some time ago by IKI made me revisit this one. Looks like First of Two was right back than, saying it wouldn't happen, not least 2006 Too bad, though. BTW is the novel line dad in the water? I have not read Missing in Action yet, so please no spoilers, but will there be another New Frontier novel?

Quote Originally Posted by Cut
    Looks like First of Two was right
    First of Two is always right.

I believe there will be another NF novel, eventually. PAD is pretty busy, from what I hear.

In March, the Mirror Universe NF will be visited, in "Mirror Universe Volume 2: Obsidian Alliances," a BIG TPB with three novel-length stories, one of which will be a NF story by PAD.

a blurb (from startrek.wikia.com) :
    Following the Terran Empire's collapse, its longtime rival, the Romulan Star Empire, has absorbed many of the fringe civilizations spread across that part of the galaxy. One of the Romulans' slaves is M'k'nzy of Calhoun, a savage and unpredictable Xenexian who dreams of death . . . and who learns the value of freedom from the unlikeliest of teachers, a Romulan named Soleta.
    Also, on the schedule for this coming November is a PAD book, as yet untitled, that will be a TNG novel, part of the TNG anniversary celebration.

It won't have NF, as far as I know, but it will have... Borg.

Given that PAD's last Borg book, "Vendetta," even if non-canon now, was full of win, I'll definitely be getting that one.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Quote Originally Posted by First of Two
    First of Two is always right.

I believe there will be another NF novel, eventually. PAD is pretty busy, from what I hear.

In March, the Mirror Universe NF will be visited, in "Mirror Universe Volume 2: Obsidian Alliances," a BIG TPB with three novel-length stories, one of which will be a NF story by PAD.

a blurb (from startrek.wikia.com) :

Also, on the schedule for this coming November is a PAD book, as yet untitled, that will be a TNG novel, part of the TNG anniversary celebration.

It won't have NF, as far as I know, but it will have... Borg.

Given that PAD's last Borg book, "Vendetta," even if non-canon now, was full of win, I'll definitely be getting that one.
    Yeah, Peter David has written some great Star Trek ficition, definately.

I'll have to finish up the last Shatner trilogy book, then get up to speed with the DS9 relaunch books (which I have up to Warpath, but stopped reading in Worlds of DS9 one or two) and will then have time for Peter's MIA. Although a short stop in my favorite corner of the trekverse namely TNG with a book by him, sounds about doable. Thanks.