Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Enterprise-era Series

Post Star Trek: Enterprise-era Series

I can't believe that it's been so long since I've posted anything game related here! Well, that's all about to come to an end.

I just finished watching the most recent episode of <i>Star Trek: Enterprise</i> - "Twilight" - that I recorded with TiVo, and I must say that I was utterly fascinated by the whole premise. I'd rate this as the best episode yet.

So anyway, watching this episode not only rekindled my interest in <i>Star Trek</i> in general, but in <i>Enterprise</i> specifically. I got out all of my 2150-era Series notes that I began jotting down a couple of years ago, and I think that I have enough material to begin a new game.

With the introduction of the multi-racial Xindi as an enemy, I find myself ever more interested in this era as one for running a game in. Given that we still have Klingons and Romulans, the old standbys are still useable. I've also thought of some chance encounters with [surgically altered] Cardassian agents, some proto-Borg technologies, a wayward Trabe convoy, and perhaps even a chance encounter with some time traveling members of the Krenim Imperium.

So anyway, the gist of the setting is similar to one that I posted a while back: the first Starfleet Deep Space station. Constructed in orbit (with the aid of the Vulcan High Command) around a star at the edge of Starfleet explored space, the PCs (and several NPCs) live and work on the station. Further, the <i>U.S.S. Journeyman</i> - a small exploratory vessel - is kept at the station, allowing for research, reconaissance, or what have you.

So my question is this: does anyone have some reasonably viable statistics for the Xindi races we've seen thus far? I am particularly interested in the Reptilian and the Insectile Xindi (and their technologies). Their ships and weapons are also of particular interest.

I'll be putting up more details as I sort everything out.

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    Well, we've seen that the Reptiles' energy rifles self destruct if an un-authorized user tries one. They and the insectoids seem the most militant. The Primates seem a little more subtle and reserved. The Sloths are the scientists so far. And the Aquatics, we haven't seen much of. The Primates' stats would probably look the most like Humans'. The Insectoids and Reptiles would probably get the usual extras.... strength, agility, and so on. The Sloths would get bonuses for tech. And the Aquatics are anybody's guess. They each seem to have their own distinct design styles, their ships are all different. I suppose Cardassian stats would work for the Reptiles, but until we see more of them and their capabilities, it'll be hard to come up with "canon" stats.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

phase pistols

I'm curious about the phase pistols stats.. would it be a 23rd century phaser but with two settings only?

Talking

http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...&threadid=8918

A bit of Information I dug up on the Xindi. As to the weapons, I'm still trying to figure out waht that 'goop gun' does exactly.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Okay, so here are some more details:

The Starfleet space station, ES-1, is the first extrasolar human space station ever constructed.

Aided by the Vulcans – who do not construct space stations of their own – and a detachment of Andorian engineers and military advisors (much to the chagrin of the Vulcans), the Starfleet Corps of Engineers began construction of ES-1 early in 2152, completing it roughly eighteen months later.

ES-1 was placed in orbit of the star, Vega, roughly 30 light years from Earth. Vega itself has but a single planetary body, save for a few large asteroids, so the station orbits lifeless Vega-1 at a range of roughly 1.1 AU from Vega itself.

A central axle houses the station’s fusion reactor and engineering section, the operations module, and the primary computer core, as well as the commander and executive officers’ personal offices and private quarters. Six equidistant spokes extend from the central axle, connecting out to a habitation ring. The ring itself has an outer diameter of 1.2 kilometers, supports three decks, and has a width of roughly 45 meters. Roughly 400 Starfleet officers, enlisted crewmembers, and non-human personnel make their permanent residence on ES-1.

The lowest deck of the central axle holds the station’s four shuttle bays; the station permanently maintains six shuttles and has room to temporarily house up to six visiting vessels. ES-1 also hosts the <i>U.S.S. Brilliance</i>, a <i>Hawking</i>-class light explorer, a Size 3 (70 meters long, two decks), warp-capable vessel. The <i>Brilliance</i> has a docking port located at the bottom of the station’s central axle. Further, three docking ports are evenly spaced around the habitat ring, allowing larger starships to dock with the station.

ES-1 is well armed and defended. Not only does it boast advanced deflector shield generators (courtesy of the Andorians) and reinforced duranium armor plating, but it is fitted with twelve phase cannon arrays (three atop the central axle, three below, and six spaced along the habitation ring) and six torpedo launchers.

The station is commanded by Starfleet Captain David Laird from Chicago. Laird’s subordinates include his Executive Officer, Maj. Qril of the Andorian Defense Force; Chief of Operations Lt. Jennifer Blackwell from Alpha Centauri; Communications Officer Lt. (j.g.) Stephen Cornwall from Wales; Science Officer Sub-commander T’lar of the Vulcan High Command; Chief Medical Officer Dr. Tindara Ort of Trill (thanks to the Interspecies Medical Exchange program); Chief Engineer Dr. Tsien Liao from Beijing (not Starfleet); and Security Chief Karl Gerechtigkeit from Munich (from the precursor of the Federation Intelligence Service, not Starfleet).

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

Sounds like an interesting campaign!

So I've had a couple of Episode ideas.

The first involves the appearance of a Minosian salesman, eager to ply his military wares to Starfleet (or whoever is interested). The Minosians - warp-capable for roughly three centuries by this time - will wipe themselves out c.2350, though the nature of their erradication is still unknown (even in the 24th century).

The salesman - representing the "arsenal of freedom" - has a variety of offensive and defensive upgrades to offer... for the right price. Perhaps the introduction of Minosian technology is what leads to the development of the standard-issue Starfleet phaser!

The second involves the PCs scouting the region in the <i>Brilliance</i> and encountering representatives of the Son'a, though [obviously] years before they succumbed to their genetic degradation. This encounter will likely provide access to new data concerning the galaxy and, though the PCs will likely never learn the name of the race they encounter, they will make a lasting impression all the same.

A third encounter revolves around the Suliban and their attempts to infiltrate ES-1. As usual, their motives are unknowable, but their plan is to kill a PC or NPC/destroy the station/abduct a PC or NPC (haven't decided yet).

There are a couple of other ideas I've been toying with, but they'll have to wait until later.

mactavish out.

This thread reminds me that I really wish the ENT SB would see the light of day in some capacity.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Is that in question (the Enterprise sourcebook, I mean)?

mactavish out.

Lightbulb Some Ideas

Originally posted by mactavish
    Is that in question (the Enterprise sourcebook, I mean)?
    Originally the ENT SB was to be a 32 page (?) add-on for the Limited Edition Trek package. That, I believe, has been canned. (It's what, two years late?) Also, portions of the material, such as the Suliban write-ups in "Aliens", have been slowly appearing in other products (the NX-class was in "Starships" for example).

Couple these things together, and the fact that the book is too small to stand on its own, I would consider one of the following:

1. Releasing the book as-is, right now, as a PDF to the consumers as a good will gesture or holiday "thank you" gift. The material can still squeak its way into the printed products as time goes on. The real frustration is that there are people who want this information but can't get it in a singular, convenient format.

2. Expand the book further to include seasons 2 and 3 and let the material stand on its own as a 96- or 128-page print product. Season SBs are already on the map for TNG and DS9 so this is a logical extension in my mind.

3. Print the 32-page book as a "limited release direct edition" and sell it via the Decipher store, give away at convention events, or as an add-in to Communicator. Part marketting tool, part value-added.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

I would vote number 2, and Season Sourcebooks for TNG and DS9 sound good.

Hey, Don... is this situation anything that you have anything to do with? By that, I mean do you have some say concerning how this situation is resolved?

What is the possibility that Decipher will do anything with the existing material (i.e. along the lines you've suggested)?

Is there anything that we - the fans - can do to help?

mactavish out.

http://www.trekpulse.com/ent/mult/ep...caps/twilight/

This thread has some decent screen caps of Xindi and Terran ships.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

I've been busily cobbling together my old notes for this campaign, shoehorning in stuff gleaned from this site, and so on. Indeed, everything seems to be shaping up nicely.

I am wondering which races Starfleet will have encountered by this era. All told, I can see including these races: Vulcan, Andorian, Klingon, Romulan, Tellarite, Suliban, Xindi (specifically the primate, reptilian, insectile, and sloth), Denobulan, Risan, Ferengi, Axanari, the Borg [though not likely any further direct contact], and possibly some Orions.

Those not seen on screen that I'm also considering are the Trill, Betazoids, Bynars, Cardassians (again, probably in disguise/surgically altered), Minosians ("Arsenal of Freedom"), Husnock (the race wiped out in the 24th century by Kevin Uxbridge), Bolians, and/or the El Aurians. There are also some notes in my binder mentioning the Krenim Imperium ("Year of Hell, I & II"), Kazon, and maybe some other Gamma and/or Delta Quadrant races.

Who have I missed (specifically the minor/one-shot races we've seen on <i>Enterprise</i>)? Who else might one include?

mactavish out.

Lightbulb

Originally posted by mactavish
    Hey, Don... is this situation anything that you have anything to do with? By that, I mean do you have some say concerning how this situation is resolved?

What is the possibility that Decipher will do anything with the existing material (i.e. along the lines you've suggested)?

Is there anything that we - the fans - can do to help?
    I have absolutely no say in the matter, although I would say I might have some small measure of influence. If, say, Jesse were to call me up (or I him) and ask my opinion I'd certainly give it, but I wouldn't feel comfortable providing my opinion unsolicited [edit: to him].

Your best bet is to work through the Decipher NetRep, Doug Burke, and make your voices heard that you want to see the ENT SB in some capacity.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew