Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek: Enterprise-era Series

So I've been giving this some more thought recently...

The Klingons are actively hostile towards mankind beginning in 2223 (or thereabouts), culminating in the intervention of the Organians in 2266. They remained pretty nasty until 2293, when Praxis exploded and the UFP offered a helping hand. In 2343, the <i>Enterprise-C</i> sacrificed itself defending the Klingon colony of Narendra III from Romulan attack, leading to even friendlier relations between the Empire and the UFP.

So what were relations between the powers like in the 22nd century? I imagine that the Klingons were a lot like Tsarist Russia at the time, controlling a fairly large empire and working on expanding their influence in the region. I am going to operate under the assumption that the Klingon Empire underwent a revolution of sorts during the 2220s, leading to a change in the oligarchic nature of their government and the institution of a quasi-fascist junta with monarchic overtones (like WW2 Japan), perhaps the result of the more militant of the High Council members taking the forefront. This revolution was followed by a period of imperialistic conquest, and <b>that</b> led to conflict with the United Federation of Planets (i.e. annexing worlds in UFP space, attacking Starfleet vessels, etc.). It was also this change in Klingon rule that led to the alliance with Romulus in 2267, resulting in an exchange of technologies (including the Klingons getting cloaking technologies) and the sale of Klingon warships to the Romulans (who apparently lacked in large battleships at that time).

At some point, the Empire remade itself once more, returning to the High Council/Emperor-style government rather than the autocratic rule that had gone on for so long. As I am no scholar of Klingon history, I have no idea if this is accurate or not. Wikipedia suggests that the position of Klingon Emperor was restored in 2369, so that's what I'll go with. From a time long before <i>Enterprise</i> until the 24th century, the Klingons were ruled by a High Council consisting of representatives from the Great Houses of Qo'nos.

So my point is simply this: the <i>Enterprise</i>-era Klingons are not particularly friendly towards mankind (perhaps like Italy to the U.S. during WWII had they not joined the Axis), but neither are they an enemy. I'd say that they became especially hostile towards humanity after they made [or perhaps expanded their] contact with the Romulans (another guess: sometime in the mid-23rd century), who got their butts kicked during the Earth-Romulan War 90 years earlier.

I like the Klingons as a neutral species, particularly because they can go either way in a 22nd-century Episode: they can attack for no particular reason or they can rescue the PCs ship from some unfortunate happenstance (like a subspace sinkhole or something).

On an unrelated note: do the Klingons have tractor beam technologies in the mid-22nd century?

On another unrelated note: do the Suliban use cloaking technology that seems advanced for the period (i.e. received from their future contact)?

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

-Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

On an unrelated note: do the Klingons have tractor beam technologies in the mid-22nd century?
    If they have shields tech, then yes. If not, then no.
    Star Trek Character Builder

Plasma Bolt!! Plasma Bolt!!

Yet another question: do they have shields in the 22nd century?

Seriously, do they? I can't remember from the episodes we've seen them in.

mactavish out.
    Our country's past progress has been the result, not of the mass mind applying average intelligence to the problems of the day, but of the brilliance and dedication of wise individuals who applied their wisdom to advance the freedom and the material well-being of all of our people.

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    The Klingons do have shields, and apparently transporters, and so tractor beam tech isn't out of the question. Pretty much it looks like the only ones without shields are the humans.
    Last edited by Antonsb214; 05-19-2004 at 08:30 PM.
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

Well, now that Star Trek: Enterprise has been ended, I've decided to revive my Enterprise-era Series idea.

With the conclusion of the latest of the Star Trek franchise series, I must say that I've been able to mine a great deal of good stuff from the four years worth of episodes. I only regret that the show didn't get a seven year run like TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

The foundation is laid for the United Federation of Planets in 2161, and delegates from nearly twenty worlds are present on Earth when Captain Jonathon Archer gives a speech detailing... well... whatever a speech like that would detail. The Vulcans, Andorians, Tellarites, Denobulans, humans, and members of a couple other species that I wasn't able to readily identify were present in "Terra Prime" (who were the reptilian aliens anyway?), but I didn't see 18-20 species like Phlox mentioned in the finale.

NX-01 is decommissioned in 2161 as well, apparently. Ten years seems a fairly short operational lifetime for a cutting edge vessel like Enterprise. Nevertheless, things likely continue unabated as humans and aliens alike work for the betterment of all.

My question is this: what happens next? Earth-Romulan War? Development and/or sharing of new technologies (i.e. force fields, tractor beams, etc.)? Multiracial starship crews?

The war between Earth and Romulus takes place at about this time and - I thought - was a primary motivator for the development of the UFP. Was that supposed to have taken place prior to the events detailed in the last episode, or do you suppose it takes place as the UFP is being formed, leaving humanity to combat smack down the Romulans and negotiate and armistice before the Federation has actually gotten off the ground? My research seems to indicate that the war ended in 2160, and that the Federation was indeed formed partly as a result of that conflict. Seems like a pretty important thing to mention, but there was only an hour to wrap the series.

Assuming that the war between humanity and the Romulans did in fact run from ~2157-2160, wouldn't it be likely that mankind received some support from their erstwhile allies? Is that why Earth won? Was it in fact the Vulcans, Andorians, Tellarites, and others that provided support in the form of logistics, intelligence, and materiel? Or was it something else?

[As an aside, what happened with the Centaurans? Are they no longer a separate race as indicated in previous iteration of Trek and the RPGs? I've gotten the impression that the Centaurans are actually merely humans that colonized the Alpha Centauri star system. Which is it? Does anyone know?]

Where are the Klingons during this historic formation of the UFP? When did they turn so hostile? Obviously it was after the Federation delegates met to sign the charter, but I'd have thought that the formation of a multi-species interstellar government at the edge of the Klingon Empire might make them a bit antsy. Perhaps that is as likely an explanation as any for the Romulans starting a war with Earth (i.e. to prevent the formation of the Federation).

How about technology c.2161? It sounds like they've managed to reach Warp 7 using human technologies (or perhaps alien-enhanced human technologies), but what about force technologies and starship weapons? When are phasers actually produced for the first time? (I seem to remember this mentioned during a TNG episode, but can't remember the specifics.)

Besides those we've seen in Enterprise, what other aliens are appropriate to the setting? Don't get me wrong, I think that what we've seen is plenty. I just wanted to know (for example) when the UFP first encountered species like the Ferengi, the Cardassians, the Betazoids, and so forth. Who’s in the neighborhood c.2161?

So anyway, that's all. I'll try to post more later.

mactavish out.

Hi mactavish,

I'll try to tell you what I know and hopefully you can do something with it. As far as I know the Centaurans are in enterprise just a colony of humans I don't know why they did this because the explanation in Price of Freedom was a lot better. I would stick with that, but that's just my humble opinion.

The Earth-Romulan war is indeed like you said from around 2157 til 2160 and is one of the main reasons for the foundation of the Federation. And Earth's allies, Vulcan, Andor, Centauri, helpt them and this was one of the reasons they won. together with the fact that the Romulans lacked warp-drive (I think Enterprise contradicted this, but what the hell). There were also only five founding members (Tellar, Vulcan, Andor, Earth and Alpha Centauri), but I don't know what enterprise says in the last episode (I haven't seen it yet).

As for the Klingons, in rpg-history and other sources (I don't know if it's cannon) first contact with the Klingons was somewhere around 2200 (which offcourse is different from enterprise history) so a reason could be that they were just to fragmented to react to the forming of the federation until it was to late.

Technology I would say is pick the stuff from the five founding races (fastest warp drive, shield-technology, tractor-beams, phase cannons maybe), no phasers though. As I can remember it was not until somewhere in the 2200s they began to use these.

On the note of Aliens: the official first contact with the ferengi was not until TNG. Cardassians during the Movie-era and the Betazoids also. I think species you could use are the Denobulans, Orions, maybe Trill, Xindi could do nicely (as they will be part of the Federation at some point). Risa is a possibility and so are the Bolians.

And on a sidenote: I agree with you that enterprise should have run the full seven seasons. I would have liked to see the Earth-Romulan war and not such a rushed ending to the series. But nothing to do about that

I hope you can do something with this stuff.

Greetz,
    Admiral Tim

I was thinking about the Bolians, but the materials I've found suggest that there wasn't contact between them and the UFP until post-TOS.

The Trill... now that could be interesting. Strange question about that, though: weren't the rest of the UFP folks in the dark about the whole parasite thing until the bumpy-headed ambassador got killed in TNG? Or did they know but just not talk about it?

mactavish out.

that's a very good question indeed. Maybe they are indeed later on that they met the federation. I honestly don't know. I indeed would guess it's later. Another species I thought of were the tholians (more as villains) but that may again not be the best option since they are pretty powerfull

Yeah, I love the Tholians. They're so creepy and unknowable and multidimensional. There's nothing like a big, crystaline insect-like entity that can understand the intricacies of time travel, interdimensional travel, and energy manipulation.

Tholians are among my favorite mystery bad guys. Not necessarily the guys that you run into every Episode, but definitely the guys who can kick your ass if they really want to.

I also liked the Gorn as presented in "Through a Mirror Darkly" as well. Would you say that they evolved from a velociraptor-type creature or something bigger (like a T. Rex)? They seem strong and [in Enterprise] quick as well as pretty darned smart, but then again, that one was a slave (I think) of the Tholians, so how smart, fast, and strong could he really be?

I've mentioned the Breen before as well. I like them, but are they warp-capable during this era? Are they able to leave their planet? I know I can make them so if I want to, but I like to maintain some sense of canon.

The Axanari - as seen in Enterprise - would make a decent enemy, but, like the Tholians, I don't see them as a multi-episodic foe. More of a once in a while kind of thing.

I know that I can use a "alien of the week" approach, but I want to limit the number of species that the characters encounter. I want an enemy race (probably Klingons) for that real pain-in-the-ass recurring Viking-style space raiders. I also like the Romulans a villains, but - if I set this Series after the founding of the Federation - that seems unlikely as it violates canon.

I think that the Xindi-Reptilians and the Xindi-Insectoids would also be good as adversaries (perhaps the Sphere Builders as well), but I'm thinking that they might be at the founding of the UFP, and fighting with your allies is rarely a good idea (though it does happen from time to time). Maybe only the Aquatics, Arboreals, and Primates join the Federation, leaving the lizards and bugs to fend for themselves. Or perhaps they are enslaved by the Klingons or Romulans or some other race.

Maybe the Orions would work as the baddies. The Orion Syndicate certainly has resources, dark motivations, and lots of unexplored history. I was actually thinking of using S. John Ross' unpublished stuff about the Orions and their homeworld, too. Good stuff!

Finally, I was thinking about incursions by alternate reality "evil Starfleet" analogues, like the Thousand Year Reich or guys from Khan's alternate reality. Maybe a temporal rift or discovered alien tech that allows the foe to enter the PCs' reality and wreak havoc.

More later.

mactavish out.
    Last edited by mactavish; 05-23-2005 at 11:36 AM.

I wouldn't use the Breen if I was you, since they are an enigmatic race that doesn't even come into the picture until the TNG-era. As for the Gorn, that's a good one. especially if you think they were present in "In a Mirror Darkly".
    The Xindi weren't part of the Federation. Maybe one day, but they weren't one of the founding members. As were the Denobulans. I think the Denobulan government wanted an Alliance with the Federation, but not yet being a member (maybe after 10 years or so ).
    The Xindi could be allies of the new-formed federation (the primates, aquatics and arboreals) and the other two Xindi-species could be busy trying to undermine this alliance.
    Just my take on things

Greetz,
    Admiral Tim

I really like the Xindi-Reptilians and Insectoids as enemy [sub]species. I think that the Primates and Arboreals as allies also works, but the Aquatics really seem more like a friendly neutral than an ally.

The use of the Orions in Enterprise really gave me some good ideas, so I'll be making extensive use of them as a hostile neutral. Since I was able to locate the Chelarian material from S. John Ross and James Maliszewski, I plan to use some of that stuff as well.

What do you suppose is the potential for pirates and raiders in the mid-22nd century? If Starfleet is tasked to hunt down privateers, then they'll certainly have their work cut out for them. Given the proliferation of free traders as well as those working for the various alien consortiums, there are probably a glut of juicy merchants to prey on.

I really want to include the Yridians as well. After their appearance in "Twilight," it seems as though they are about during this era. IIRC, the Yridians were believed extinct but were discovered in the 2360's by Captain Ransom of the U.S.S. Equinox. I assume that their world was probably destroyed or damaged beyond inhabitability and that they became a race of wandering information merchants or perhaps founded colony worlds in out-of-the-way sectors (perhaps inside nebulae and so forth). They could certainly be a source of otherwise unobtainable information.

I REALLY want to include some mystery aliens - maybe the creepy big-headed ones from that Enterprise episode where they invaded the ship. I also considered the possibility of a displaced Jem'Hadar starship somehow ending up in the Alpha Quadrant (perhaps due to a snafu involving the Bajoran wormhole). That would be 22nd century Jem'Hadar, mind you, though I figure they could still kick Starfleet's butt in a walk. That scenario most likely ends with their self-destruct going off, leaving nothing much to study.

I think some artificial intelligence and some genetic engineering will also make appearances in my Series. Not sure what fashion or form they'll take, but I'm working on it.

Finally, those of you who've read my stuff over the years know that I am a big Borg fan. Given the fact that Starfleet did encounter the Borg (due to temporal changes), I can see hinting at them throughout the Series without any actual encounters. Maybe an innocuous piece of technology here, a dessicated drone corpse there... maybe even stories from a Yridian information trader about "a race of cybernetic zombies from the Delta Quadrant."

I'm hoping to finally begin this Series as a monthly game once school's out for the summer. I'll keep you posted.

mactavish out.

Wow, it's been a year since I posted anything under this topic. I can't believe that I've been gone quite that long!

While this Series never took flight as I'd intended, I do have most of my notes and will hopefully have the opportunity to regroup with my players and give it a go this summer.

I am kind of debating at this point whether or not to buy the Decipher PDFs for Worlds and Through a Mirror Darkly; will they give me anything of value to use in my Series?

Now that I've rediscovered Trek-RPG, I'll hopefully be able to take the time to put some more posts here.

mactavish out.

There was a thred of the forums about a post enterprise series (started by me)...
    I guess you could read it for some inspiration.....

My new idea is to have a series take place 2161 on the first Daedalus class ship..
    I'd love to exchange ideas!
    What have we come to if you can't demand sexual favours from the people in your employ? - Quark (The Dogs of War)

Quote Originally Posted by mactavish
    Wow, it's been a year since I posted anything under this topic. I can't believe that I've been gone quite that long!

While this Series never took flight as I'd intended, I do have most of my notes and will hopefully have the opportunity to regroup with my players and give it a go this summer.

I am kind of debating at this point whether or not to buy the Decipher PDFs for Worlds and Through a Mirror Darkly; will they give me anything of value to use in my Series?

Now that I've rediscovered Trek-RPG, I'll hopefully be able to take the time to put some more posts here.

mactavish out.
    Worlds might, though most of the worlds haven't been discovered by the 22nd century. Or, uh, might be places to discover.

Quote Originally Posted by mactavish

mactavish out.
    I'd love to see your concept for the new series
    What have we come to if you can't demand sexual favours from the people in your employ? - Quark (The Dogs of War)