Thread: ? about the Wise

Question ? about the Wise

I'm sure that this has been asked before, but I ain't seen it, so here goes:

We know of the names and "colors" of three of the five Istari (Gandalf the Grey, Sauruman the Whte, and Radaghast the Brown) from the novels. My questions is, is there any reference to the names and/or colors of the other two?

I'm interested in a post-trilogy game that possibly uses them. If there is not canon info, then I'll just make it up, but I'd prefer to use "real" info, if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

H.
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Unfinished Tales and some of the Histories of Middle-earth tomes mention two more wizards, the Ithryn Luin, or Blue Wizards.

They are named as Alatar and Pallando. Both apparently arrived with Radagast, Saruman, and Gandalf, and went into the east and south to work on getting those peoples against Sauron. Tolkien suspected they failed.

There isn't a lot of info on them, so feel free to use them without worrying about violating canon.

I'm using them in my Fourth Age game.

EDIT: For what it's worth, do a search on these forums for either "Alatar" or "Pallando." They have been discussed in several threads.

EDIT II: There were other names for the Blue Wizards...I seem to recall Morinehtar (Darkness-slayer) and Romestamo (East-helper), but I don't know which one refers to Alatar or Pallando...

Alatar and Pallando, I believe are their real names like Olorin for Gandalf. Both Blue. As as been said Tolkien never written much about them or anything in the east and south of the world. My take of it that they became disinterested in they work like Radagast, maybe came corrupted, but in my eyes they just didn't really care.

There is some stories of them manage to cause trouble for Sauron in the south and the east and only a small part of his armies could come west to fight against the free peoples of middle earth. I believe these could be from tolkiens letters, but I haven't read them in a while so couldn't direct someone to actual quotes. (I really need to read the letters again).

As for the other names, I think those were inventions of ICE for MERP, again don't quote me on that but I just feel that is a right statement.

Originally posted by Grimbeorn
    As for the other names, I think those were inventions of ICE for MERP, again don't quote me on that but I just feel that is a right statement.
    ICE used Alatar or Pallando. The other two names are also from tolkain's notes.

basically he toyed with several ideas for the blue wizards. Alatar or Pallando where a version that came to middle earth with gandalf, sauruman and radergast. But before that he played with the idea of two blue wizards, Morinehtar and Romestamo who came to middle earth by accompiang Gorfindel when he returned from mandos after being killed by the Balrog.

As I said never take anythign I said for fact unless I actually check up on it. Playing MERP from the late 1980's means I got an lot of MERP knowledge stored up as well as canon Tolkien stuff. O well I think it time i started reading Tolkiens letters again as well as Unfinished tales etc.

If I remember to do so, I'll check the books tonight and post some specific page references for you. This question comes up often enough, it'll be nice to have one thread with all the canonical information laid out.