Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [CODA] Help!

[CODA] Help!

I'm new to the world of ship creation (got the NG earlier this week) and am looking for someone to help me make a ship for my PC's.

I'd need:

Both Warp & Impulse
    Small Cargo Area
    Quarters/Bunks for approx. 10 people
    The ability to be piloted by one man, unaided

Beyond that, I have NO idea what I'm doing. If anyone here can set me on the right track or point me to a ship similar to this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Is the ship part of a fleet? If so, which? What sort of things do you want the ship to be able to do (eg is a smuggler's ship, a cargo ship, etc)?

If you've got the Starships book, I'd go with a runabout. Sounds like what you're looking for.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I'm doing a transport for my elite operations group. So I need spartan lodging alongside the maneuverability of a shuttle/similar.

The Runabout is fairly modular in what you can pack in to it. However as standard it does actually have up to 8 bunks, in 4 seperate rooms, for various crew uses.. The Modules (and I am talkig about the REAL thing here, not a game points thing) can effectivelly be exchanged for numerous things, including cargo storage modules, sensor pallettes, weapons pods etc. (as described in the DS9 Technical manual)

it would be nice to see someone do the various variant versions of it.

however technically that would suffice, though it is quite spartan! if you sleep on a shift rotation (like they do in the navy in those old tiny submarines) then you have plenty of beds. being a shuttlecraft it can be piloted by 1 person, though 2 is preferable.

Other than that you'll have to see if anyone has any other suggestions
    Ta Muchly

I agree, if the elite group is part of Starfleet, then a Runabout is definitely the ticket. But we still don't know what fleet it is in yet!

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Mazza
    I agree, if the elite group is part of Starfleet, then a Runabout is definitely the ticket. But we still don't know what fleet it is in yet!
    If they're Klingons, I'd go with a Bird of Prey. You'd have to add in some heavy automation to make it operable by one person...but, then, that's not exactly the Klingon way.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I went ahead and did the ship last night, I just need to put the finishing touches on it. I'll post it here for review and suggestions.

EDIT: I ended up doing two different ships. Critisim (Constructive and Otherwise) are welcome

Class: Armored Transport
    Structure: 25
    Size/Decks: 4/?
    L/H/B: ?/?/?
    Crew: 4-8
    Transporters: 4 total
    Cargo: 40
    Shuttlebay: None
    Tractor Beams: 1
    Separation: No
    Masking: None
    Sensors: Class 4
    Life Support: Class 3
    Atmospheric: Yes

Impulse: Class 8
    Warp: Class 8

Type VII Phasers
    Class 7 shields

Maneuver Modifiers: -1/3/-1
    Ablative Armor
    Last edited by Arnold Rimmer; 11-19-2003 at 10:51 PM.

Class: Runabout
    Structure: 10
    Crew: 4-8
    Class D Life Suppprt
    1 Tractor Beam
    4 Transporters
    Class 4 impulse
    Class 6A2 Warp
    Type II Phasers
    Class 2A Shields
    Class 4 sensors

0/0/0

The armoured transport seems like far too heavily armed and well-equipped a ship if you're looking for pretty much a basic transport to bring your team from point A to point B. I think something more like a Runabout is definitely the way to go - a simple, realistic ship. Not a mini-Defiant.

Originally posted by Mazza
    A simple, realistic ship. Not a mini-Defiant.
    And whats wrong with being a mini-defiant? Hmm?

If the ship is meant to be a cargo vessel, then it's not appropriate that it can outclass a top of the line Starfleet vessel - is what I beleive Mazza meant

It's not THAT bad, however you should ptobably ditch the ablative armour as that would / should be something only top of the line Starships of the fleet should have, it's not likelly to be installed on a rickety old freighter!

You can of course simply spend those 5 points on 5 points of structure instead!
    Ta Muchly

That's exactly what I meant. I like the Defiant fine, but if this is primarily a transport vessel for some sort of special ops team or something, it would have a different operational focus.

You don't give someone a ferrari when all they need is a banged up old school bus.

Plus my campaign is set in the late 23rd century so that freighter's stats look pretty good next to the top of the line Miranda class ship my PCs are in.

I think what I'll do is tweak the runabout and give that to my players, keeping the transport as a reward for later on. So, any ideas for improvement on the runabout. I know the formatting is bad, but I'm too lazy to fix it now...

The stats you've got right now for the Runabout are wrong. The Danube class can be found in the Starships book (page 48).