Thread: Warp sled

Warp sled

In Star Trek the motion picture Spock meets up with the Enterprise using a Warp sled .

My thoughs on a warp sled is small craft design to carry Sub light Shuttle craft at warp speeds for a few days to a week .
    The idea of warp sled allowed travel between Star systems with a few light years .

I am still pondering out details about warp sleds because my star ship book is packed away right .

what should be the max speed ?

How big is a warp sled ?

When was warp sled build and for how long ?

It always grates me that people call this hte 'Vulcan Warp sled' - it's blatantly a Starfleet shuttlecraft with an add on!

I am not sure if it needs to be classed a seperate ship or just a another class entirelly. I would suggest you build it as a size 2 vessel, which has a shuttlebay - which will count for the docking procedure. you could call it a splitting system BUT the shuttle it's self is a whole ship. Since all you have to put on it is Operations and warp drive - you can make it quite fast!
    Ta Muchly

Originally from Star Trek The Magazine, #8 December 1999
    Starfleet used a long-range Vulcan shuttle that was in operation during the latter half of the 23rd century with a modular design to transport groups of up to ten people over interstellar distances at mid-range warp speeds.

The shuttle had a simple, aerodynamic design that ws made up of two distinct modules - a crew cabin and an engine 'sled.' The shuttle had a crew of four, but could accommodate as many as ten passengers in relaitive comfort.

The cabin module was armed with three phaser banks and had defensive shields. It was also equipped with a standard package of subspace sensors and communications arrays.

The engine 'sled' contained both warp and impulse engines. The triangular-shaped nacelles were more than twice the length of the cabin; and could reach and sustain warp four, making the shuttle suitable for long-range journeys, such as the trip from Vulcan to Terra.
    The profile pictures of The Surak list the cabin module as 18.7 meters in length and equiped only with thrusters.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."