Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ROMULAN SHIP RECOGNITION MANUAL Update

If you pool together all the ships created, all the information out there, the Encyclopedia, the Fact Files, even look into ships created for games like Birth of the Federation, I think it would be possible to do a full SRM and Sourcebook on the Ferengi. I know it would take a lot of work, but what does that matter? It'd be fun, and besides, if we get 10 or 12 people on it, shouldn't be a problem
    Tim "Bobby George" Hills

Originally posted by Steve Long
    NP, BG. I'm flattered by the request. Unfortunately, I haven't really done anything at all with the SRM: Space Stations And Starbases book I had in mind. I made some notes or something at one point, but it's nothing worth releasing.

Unfortunately, it's likely to be a long time (if ever) before I have the time and interest to write that book.
    Well, I still use Spacedock exclusively and my Challenger group would insist on it if I did not...they like getting the sensor readings of various enemy systems failing.

I can also say that as long as the Challenger game is still running even once a year that we'll be waiting for any future supplements that come down the line if you ever find the time to do them Steve.

Regards,
    Bruce.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

So Captain V, would you not use fan-supplied SRM's?
    Tim "Bobby George" Hills

Originally posted by Bobby George
    So Captain V, would you not use fan-supplied SRM's?
    As the Venture seems to be about to restart, that remains in ICON and will use a Spacedock-lite (thats me ignoring stuff as seems dramatically appropriate)...

And on the whole we use anything Steve makes as Canon and on-the level, and judge fan produced stuff on an if and when basis.

As narrator, anything I build is fine in my universe, but may not be suitable in someone elses, and visa versa. So I reserve the right as Narrator to eddit and delete fan (and even canon) stuff as needed...

That does not mean I wont look at them or enjoy them...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

I'd look at fan-crafted SRMs just I have looked over fan-crafted ships here.

Dan - Does this mean the website is going back up? I've had problems with it timing out.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

Not sure a Ferengi SRM would work - I suspect the majority of Ferengi vessels are heavily modified by their owners or built to order by Ferengi shipyards. There may be mass-produced designs, but with all the optional extras an owner may want ("isomagnetic EPS conduits are available for a modest extra fee!"), common stats would be rare.
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

Originally posted by Capt. Hunter
    I suspect the majority of Ferengi vessels are heavily modified by their owners or built to order by Ferengi shipyards.
    I like that idea very much - fits in perfectly with the idea of a species entirely devoted to libertarianism and the-fiscally-fittest-will-survive outlook. Nonetheless, having at least a few "sample" ships of varying types to choose from might provide a jump-off point, along with a list of possible modifications to choose from, or at least to help rev up the imagination.

Well, the thing with the Ferengi is that we only ever see the Dkora class ship (commonly known as the marauder). And the stats for these have already been done (SRM1). The only other look into alternative ship designs was in Birth of the Federation, but ultimately that was just so all races in the game had similar ship classes even if their respective abilities were different.

Ultimately, I dont know if there is any way to have an SRM based on a single species or empire any more, except for the Borg perhaps. The 4 main races have been done (or will be when the Romulan SRM is released, btw Steve, is there any update on when that will be?). So now, it's more likely to be Misc ships of the Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Delta quadrants. Maybe with an additional TOS Misc book.
    Tim "Bobby George" Hills

Not strictly true...

In Addition to the D'Kora. We were also shown the Ferengi shuttle. Now this seems to be of a common exterior design, while the size of the individual vessels range from that of a Shuttlepod, through to something comparable with a Runabout...

So we have 3 canon vessels... *

Still not enough for an SRM, admittedly.

But for a cross-species sourcebook, with the addition of a few non-canon designs (luxury transport, cargo-carrier, interdiction ship, pirate vessel, passenger liner) it could pad out a few pages, especially if some of the more common Ferengi modifications are introduced into the Spacedock stable.

* Not to forget any vessels bought from other species at a marked discount! Such as Klingon Bird of Preys.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Vessels they've purchased and modified is a good point. Changing some areas to cargo bays and so on. As for non-canon designs, that's easy enough. If you include ships outlined in BotF, you can give examples of older ships which some less-fortunate Ferengi use.
    Tim "Bobby George" Hills

Laying aside the sourcebook idea I think Dan might have a good suggestion there, cross-species, maybe merchants/pirates type SRM. Could include Ferengi, Orion, Boslic, Dopterian etc etc etc ... of course it would likely only amount to about 10% cannon for those worried about such things.

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.
    Hi Steve,

Just wondering, i've been reading through all the old threads here & i found this, i was wondering if the Rom SRM is available yet,

With grovelling apologies if you've covered this elsewhere

Sundowner
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

No, it's not available yet. AFAIK the guy doing the layout is still doing the layout.
    Steve Long
    HERO System Line Developer

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.
    Cheers Steve, i shall await it's coming with paitence.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks again

Sundowner
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

I looked at the Birth of the Federation Strategy Guide. it woulod be hard to work out the looks of the Ferengi Ships from the little information given there. I am sure it could be done but woulf be hard.

I think that there needs to be a few more ships to create a book all it's self. The Ferengi, Orion with maybe a Bajoran, Trill thrown in would be good.

Sense Steve Long is Buisy which we all understand. As we get older we have to make a living.

We could start it up with each taking a group of ships to hash out. For starters somewhere in my files I already have a Bajoran Freighter, a fighter and a Transport vessel that never has seen the light of day. There maybe an Orion ship somewhere too, well it may not be finished just yet, but it's been stated.

Just an idea.