Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is STRPG Worth Getting?

Question Is STRPG Worth Getting?

I have seen it in my local hobby store and wander if it is worth getting. I am very familiar with the d20 rules, as I play/gm d20 Modern, Star Wars d20, D&D 3e/3.5 and Farscape d20. How hard is it to learn (and teach)?
    I play(ed) first edition of the ccg, so I know how Decipher are, and how many mistakes they make :P

If you want to have an unbiased opinion this might be the wrong place to ask but since you probably won't find more people knowing this game anywhere else...
    I see you are verrry familiar with the d20 system, good for you, since the two systems have a lot of similarities. However CODA is slightly simpler to learn and at the same time more flexible.
    The main difference between CODA and d20 is the lack of class-levels which means that almost everything (including attack rolls) will be resolved with skill checks. This allows you much more flexibility when designing characters. The skill system is comparable to d20 but instead of rolling a 20-sided die and adding attribute modifier and skill level you roll 2d6 which makes it easier to judge your chance of success.
    Quality is excellent. You will have to search hard for better writing, layout, paper quality and binding.
    Compared to D&D getting into the game is cheaper, since the only really essential books are the Player's Guide and the Narrator's Guide. The other books are nice to have, especially Aliens, but not necessary.
    So, is it worth getting? If you ever wanted to become a part of or design your own part of the Star Trek universe now is the best time to do so.
    “Worried? I’m scared to death. But I’ll be damned if I’m going to let them change the way I live my life.” - Joseph Sisko - Paradise Lost

Welcome to the boards Mr. Antisocial

That's quite a subjective question! if you like Star trek and want to play a game based on Startrek then it's an excelent product to get. The books are full of all sorts of canonical information and the system works very well.

As Ergi said it's based on 2D6, but it won't take you long to navigate round it if you are familiar with D20. The Starship combat system is also alot of fun, and especially if you get the Starships suplement you can have alot of fun building your own starship to fight the enemy with to the Nth degree!

Sadly you're right about the typo thing with Decipher. There is the odd mistake dotting about here and there, but for the most part it's all good, and of course there's no better place to ask any questions you might have about the system and or those typo's than right here!
    Ta Muchly

I'll try to be as objective as I can.

Star Trek RPG is the BEST roleplaying system in existance!

Ok, ok at least one of the best. It's a grand statement -- Let me try to explain why I think so.
    I've been rummaging through RPGs for 15 years, ever looking for the perfect system. One that will help create interesting characters that really feel 3-dimensional, while providing the rules for attempting just about anything the players can think of - in an authentic and fun way - without the burden of too many rules.
    That's why Rolemaster is one of my favorite systems, answering 2 out of the 3 requisites.
    Then came out Star Trek RPG from Decipher and I was real sceptical about their "cinematic CODA system". I got the books as a gift or else I wouldn't have even read them -- I'm sure glad I did though. Since then I bought several other CODA books (Star Trek and LoTR) just because I loved the system so much!

Ok, some tangibles: The Star Trek information is a plenty and ALL useful. I swear, there is hardly any wasted space in the books. They also did a very good job cramming all the required information to run EVERY aspect of the game to the two core books (Player's and Narrator's guides). The additional books have all good material but are not essential like other games I know that force you to buy additional books to "take the most out of" the system.
    The CODA system itself is similar to D20 in conecpt BUT, in my opinion, was heavily influenced by the HERO System, Rolemaster, and probably a few others. Basically, they fixed most of the things that annoyed me in D20 (like the HP system, the armor system, base attack bonus - they use various combat skills instead) and added several new options in character creation, skills usage and combat to make it a truley unique experience - much better than D20!

I really see no flaws in the system. Ok, some typos and editing mistakes - big deal! Show me one RPG company that doesn't have errata posted on their website within one week a book is out. Hell, 3.5 edition - need I say more?!
    The only peave I had was the use of 2d6. I kind of like all of the various dice, but that's probably because I'm a geek. My girlfreind (a new comer to the RPG world) much prefers the good ol' 6-sided game dice - she thinks the other roleplaying dice are childish and stupid. I'm considering breaking up with her.

If you want some more specific difference in rules between D20 and CODA or just some more general knowledge of the rules, say so. As you can see I can babble about this system all day long.

Who would think that a movie/TV show based game would end up being so good? I guess it might have something to do with the name LoTR printed on it. After all it was the first inspiration for roleplaying ever.

Roy.

Here are some online reviews that may help you decide:

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_7249.html

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_6342.html

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_6714.html

http://www.rpg.net/news+reviews/reviews/rev_7252.html

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9241.phtml

Personally, I like Decipher's Star Trek RPG and the Coda system. I have purchased all the core books & supplements. Now if only I can find some players...

Thanks for those links; I hadn't read a lot of those.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

THanks guys, you really helped me make my decision (special thanks to jem'hadar for those links)
    Now all I need are some players...

Definitely. I'm not a huge fan of the show, although it's groiwing on me; the system is great, especially the ship combat system. It's well worth the price, easy to learn, and with only a little work you can port d20 aliens, etc into the system.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

There are several Guides to rolling up characters that are very good help. Thats the only big weakness is the first time you roll up a character. I'll look around for the links or maybe they can be reposted? Here's a link to one i found

http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...ighlight=tlara
    Garet

thanks Garet, they should help. I'm either going to buy the players book and narators book today or tommorrow

You're pretty lucky

Originally posted by Jorik
    I'll try to be as objective as I can.

Star Trek RPG is the BEST roleplaying system in existance!

Ok, ok at least one of the best. It's a grand statement -- Let me try to explain why I think so.
    I've been rummaging through RPGs for 15 years, ever looking for the perfect system. One that will help create interesting characters that really feel 3-dimensional, while providing the rules for attempting just about anything the players can think of - in an authentic and fun way - without the burden of too many rules.
    That's why Rolemaster is one of my favorite systems, answering 2 out of the 3 requisites.
    Then came out Star Trek RPG from Decipher and I was real sceptical about their "cinematic CODA system". I got the books as a gift or else I wouldn't have even read them -- I'm sure glad I did though. Since then I bought several other CODA books (Star Trek and LoTR) just because I loved the system so much!

Ok, some tangibles: The Star Trek information is a plenty and ALL useful. I swear, there is hardly any wasted space in the books. They also did a very good job cramming all the required information to run EVERY aspect of the game to the two core books (Player's and Narrator's guides). The additional books have all good material but are not essential like other games I know that force you to buy additional books to "take the most out of" the system.
    The CODA system itself is similar to D20 in conecpt BUT, in my opinion, was heavily influenced by the HERO System, Rolemaster, and probably a few others. Basically, they fixed most of the things that annoyed me in D20 (like the HP system, the armor system, base attack bonus - they use various combat skills instead) and added several new options in character creation, skills usage and combat to make it a truley unique experience - much better than D20!

I really see no flaws in the system. Ok, some typos and editing mistakes - big deal! Show me one RPG company that doesn't have errata posted on their website within one week a book is out. Hell, 3.5 edition - need I say more?!
    The only peave I had was the use of 2d6. I kind of like all of the various dice, but that's probably because I'm a geek. My girlfreind (a new comer to the RPG world) much prefers the good ol' 6-sided game dice - she thinks the other roleplaying dice are childish and stupid. I'm considering breaking up with her.

If you want some more specific difference in rules between D20 and CODA or just some more general knowledge of the rules, say so. As you can see I can babble about this system all day long.

Who would think that a movie/TV show based game would end up being so good? I guess it might have something to do with the name LoTR printed on it. After all it was the first inspiration for roleplaying ever.

Roy.
    You should be grateful to have a girlfriend that RPGs! I applaud you for your contining effort to bring girls into the RPG world but breaking up with someone over dice! That's awful! Anywho, yes we enjoy the starship battles so much we have 1 every other session or we just have the 4 of us grab a ship and have a ship 2 ship battle because it's so fun! There's nothing like it on the market right now. If you always imagined Star Trek could be better..... Here's your chance. Good luck and good fortune to ya!

7 of 11
    Amanda (wifey of gamer)
    Last edited by 7 of 11; 11-20-2003 at 09:52 PM.
    7 of 11
    Bored of Borg?
    Try the new Species 8472!
    Hard to kill, Harder to find!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o!!
    They'v esold the books and for some reason (maybe cos they're duds) won't order them in for me
    I'm going to have to goto Geelong or Melbourne or somewhere far, I think I'm going to curl into the fetal position now.

Oh dear!

Well just because they won't get them in for you doesn't mean they are bad, it just means your store is bad! turning down good money is always stupid

is it not possible to just order them from a larger store (in your neck of the woods)? There's always Amazon et all, but of course you might end up paying a mint on postage if it has to come from the states. Hmm.
    Ta Muchly

Re: You're pretty lucky

Originally posted by 7 of 11
    You should be grateful to have a girlfriend that RPGs! I applaud you for your contining effort to bring girls into the RPG world but breaking up with someone over dice! That's awful!
    No, no. Too late -- I broke it off. Like the machine king from Matrix 3 expressed so eloquently: It is done!
    Jeez, what a bad movie.

Ok ok, it is (and was) a joke -- not the matrix part, the breaking up part.
    I am grateful for her and not just because of her choice in dice
    (I want a "aahhhhh" from the audience!).

Roy.

Re: Re: You're pretty lucky

Originally posted by Jorik
    (I want a "aahhhhh" from the audience!).
    I have been instructed by my girlfriend (who also plays RPGs, including decipher ST) to state: "aahhhhh".
    And point out that would be an "aahhhhh", not a "aahhhhh".