Thread: Berman speaks in 'Simmilitude'

Berman speaks in 'Simmilitude'

http://www.trektoday.com/news/201103_01.shtml

must....not...laugh...

he promised, "We're not killing Anthony Montgomery again."

Can we make him the Kenny of the Show?
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Oh, #%&@! Another time travel ep! Christ why do they always fall back on that dead horse?

What's sad is that time travel wasn't that common in TOS. I'm trying to figure out the allure they have for it in trek.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

What is it in time travel episodes that upsets people that much ? I find them generally good and some of the most successful episodes and movies were based around time travel, so why does everyone complain everytime a time travel episode is announced ?

Then again, maybe it's just me.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by Phantom
    Oh, #%&@! Another time travel ep! Christ why do they always fall back on that dead horse?
    Given that the series is based on a time-war, it's hardly 'falling back.' on it. It's part and parcel of the series. Of course, you still don't have to like it.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

What is wrong with it? They time travel in the franchise just about every season now. It is a tired and lazy plot device.

Well this could be said for a lot of things in Trek. After all, if the stories themselves are different, I see no trouble with time travelling - after all, they always travel to a new planet and discover new lifeforms.
    Of course, if every story uses a similar plotline (like the "holodeck-go-wrong-and-the-safeties-are-off" stories in TNG), then it can be boring alright, but this problem can happen with other plot devices than time travel. Just because an idea is often used doesn't mean it's bad IMHO.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Examples of time travel in TOS:

The Naked Time (cold restart of engines produced a time-warp -- no real time travel effect, but definitely time travel).
    Tomorrow Is Yesterday
    The City On The Edge Of Forever
    Assignment: Earth
    All Our Yesterdays (partial credit -- not Earth based)

These real examples account for a little over 5% of the episodes.

In addition, there are a number of time travel like episodes, in which elements from Earth's past, or close analogues, deal with the crew:

Miri
    Shore Leave
    The Squire Of Gothos
    Space Seed
    Who Mourns for Adonais
    Catspaw
    Metamorphosis
    Wolf In The Fold
    A Piece Of The Action
    Patterns Of Force
    Bread And Circuses
    The Paradise Syndrome
    Spectre Of The Gun
    Plato's Stepchildren
    Requiem for Methuselah
    The Savage Curtain

This is around 20% of the episodes.

So, I'd say the original Trek writers went to that well a time or two themselves

It is a tired and lazy plot device.
    I'm in total agreement with Phantom here

eerie ...
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

Time travel has gotten long in the tooth in Trek. I half expect to see a blue police call box pop up in the show now and again.

Originally posted by C5
    Of course, if every story uses a similar plotline (like the "holodeck-go-wrong-and-the-safeties-are-off" stories in TNG), then it can be boring alright, but this problem can happen with other plot devices than time travel. Just because an idea is often used doesn't mean it's bad IMHO.
    The holodeck eps were getting tiresome as well.

Hmm...and what about the constant break down of the transporters in TOS.

Time travel is a staple in science fiction, I don't see any problem with them having time travel episodes. Take time travel out, might as well take out phasers because those are a crutch for getting out of battles.