Thread: Ranger call signs

Ranger call signs

So after the death of Seeker in our last game (The player won't be joining us for the IRC continuation as he dislikes IRC) April wants to play a Ranger of the North.

So Seeker, Strider, Long-Shanks and Walker have been used in my game thus far.

Any other ideas for good Ranger call signs?

She suggested Raven, but I thought it might be too close to the Shadow as it were.

Well, I had an Elvish Ranger in a 3rd Ed game ( I later used him briefly as an NPC in my short lived LOTR game) called The Nightstar. Actually the Common translation of his last name.

I don't see a problem with Raven, they're not considered evil in Tolkien's works as far as I know...Now if she wanted to use Crebain that would be different.

Traveller, Tracker, Stalker are also good just off the top of my head.

IMO, I did not think that Rangers went by Call SIgns.

Aragorn was named "Strider" only by the people of Bree who did not know his real name. He was also known as "Longshanks", but again these were really derogatory names given him for being tall and always walking with great strides and urgency.

The people of Bree did not like or trust him for the most part, although he made sure that their quaint little town was kept safe.

Re: ...

Originally posted by Tomcat
    IMO, I did not think that Rangers went by Call SIgns.

Aragorn was named "Strider" only by the people of Bree who did not know his real name. He was also known as "Longshanks", but again these were really derogatory names given him for being tall and always walking with great strides and urgency.

The people of Bree did not like or trust him for the most part, although he made sure that their quaint little town was kept safe.
    I think it is a good tradition that they use names other than their own, if for nothing more than to protect their Dunedain heritage to begin with, then over the millenia it could simply become tradition.

I see your point (and it is very valid to be sure), but I am still going with Ranger nick names or call signs

You are right Aslan, it was probably best that they kept their identities secret and also that RPG'ing is so awesome because it does allow us to interpret for our games as we wish!!!

Keep it up!

Hey, don't forget "Trotter" as a Ranger name. That is what Tolkien was going to nickname Aragorn until he (wisely) thought better of it.
    Scottomir's LOTR Game Resources:
    http://www.geocities.com/scott_metz/

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    Originally posted by Scottomir
    Hey, don't forget "Trotter" as a Ranger name. That is what Tolkien was going to nickname Aragorn until he (wisely) thought better of it.
    IIRC that was when he was a hobbit.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

In my campaigns the names Sneaker and Vagabond were used for Rangers as well as Strong-Hand and Quicksilver.
    You could also use the obligatory "Hawkeye" from J.F. Coopers novels or "La Long Carabine" transformed to something like "La Long Bow"
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Re: ...

Originally posted by Tomcat
    You are right Aslan, it was probably best that they kept their identities secret and also that RPG'ing is so awesome because it does allow us to interpret for our games as we wish!!!

Keep it up!
    Tolkien especially used nicknames to describe attributes of his figures. E.g: Mithrandir is the elvish name for Gandalf and means "grey pilgrim". And Aragorn had several names in the South as well, when he wandered in and fought for Rohan. Additionally I think it would be wiser to use nicknames as the Dunedain were hunted by the Dark Lord's minions. And it probably makes the ranger more infamous. The robber on the street may not know "Arcanrathil II." but may have heard of "Bone-Crusher" because of local legend and even if not, he might wonder how Arcanrathil came to that name
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Thumbs up

How about Puddle Jumper? Maybe for an elf ranger?

Serously, though, call names are a great idea for rangers and keep the feel of the game, IMHO.

Maybe names like Windrider, Rough Rider (I used this one, and it's the name of a former CFL team and a current one too!), Wolfken (or Kenwolf; meaning a lone wolf type beyond one's ability to fathom), Thorn, Ghostwind, Longface (an insulting name for a ranger who spends too much time with his horse?).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Thanks for the suggestions gang.

Any more?