Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IRC Game. ST: Within the Ashes of Shadows

Post IRC Game. ST: Within the Ashes of Shadows

Star Trek: Within the Ashes of Shadows.

This post is a cross between an introduction and a FAQ to provide information on an IRC game that is in the process of forming. Much of the information below is nothing more then a teaser for each section and over the next few days more detailed information will be provided in this thread.

The Ship and Her Captain
    ------------------------
    The USS Phoenix NCC-65420 is a Nebula-Class Exploration Cruiser recently repaired after the Borg's second attempt to assimilate Earth failed.

An older vessel with a relatively new crew, the ship's history is somewhat notorious due to the actions of a former commanding officer Ben Maxwell in 2367. Her next commander as well as the majority of senior staff perished in 2372 during the fighting with the Klingons in the Arcanis Sector when the bridge took a direct hit from a torpedo and was severely damaged in the battle.

Her new captain, Khorla Vaughn, a Bajoran, has had almost as notorious a career as his new command. After a two-year disappearance right off of Bajor shortly after the destruction of his last command, he returned. Where he was and what he did during that time remains a mystery but he was given the Phoenix to repair and then command.

With the damage repaired from the battle of Dovan III where the Phoenix single-handedly destroyed three K'tinga-class cruisers, the ship was pressed into service without a full crew and a minimum of senior officers to meet the Borg threat.

With the Borg defeated, once more the Phoenix had been badly mauled but like the great bird she was named from, she once more arose to ascendance as the crews that had spent months restoring her once again returned to their work and six weeks later, the Phoenix shone in her primacy.

Taking on several new personnel, among them a good number of senior staff, the Phoenix spends her last days in orbit before she will travel to her assigned area of operation. Will this crew allow the Phoenix to shine, ascending to new heights or will they meet a similar doom to those that came before...

The Mission
    -----------
    The USS Phoenix has been assigned to explore the Ro'Maris Sector, a territory infamous for the Ro'Maris Cluster, a region of densely packed stars that has impeded exploration of this sector for years. Federation and Starfleet influence does not exist in the sector and once at her station, the Phoenix will be on her own as the nearest Starbase is over four sectors away.

Furthermore, it is expected that the sector will be heavily influenced by the Powers that have territory nearby. Among them the Romulans, Breen, Tzenkethi and Klingons. This influence from the Powers may pale by comparison to other more independent influences as the Sector borders the Draconis Outback.

The mission of the crew of the USS Phoenix is to extend Federation influence and exposure throughout the region while completing a survey of the sector. With the uneasy peace with the Klingons restored and the threat of the Dominion looming ever larger on the horizon, the crew will also be looking for any form of undue influence within the Sector that may jeopardize the safety and security of the Federation. However the crew must do so, without causing tensions to escalate if confronted.

Starfleet realizes they need stability along the frontier and their other borders as war with the Dominion looms ever closer on the horizon.

The Time
    --------
    Mid to Mid-Late 2373. Actual Stardate to be provided shortly as well as a run-down of recent events.

The Ro'Maris Sector
    -------------------
    Largely unexplored due to the Ro'Maris Cluster and various political necessities and conflicts in the past three decades since its discovery, this sector has nevertheless been heavily contested at various times between the other powers.

Oddly, no one power has ever established a major influence within the sector to the point of dominating the region and bring it under their control. Starfleet aims to extend its influence before this occurs but in as quiet a manner as possible.

One or two independent colonies are known to exist and a number of local races are believed to live within the sector but very little is truly known. Renegades, raiders and rogues are expected to traverse the area due to the proximity of the Outback and they may hold the greatest amount of influence within the sector that is not local.

It is believed that both the Breen and the Tzenkethi have traversed the sector but they have never attempted to seriously extend their influence into the sector. SF Intelligence is uncertain whether this is due to the failure of the Klingons, Romulans and to some small extent the Cardassians attempts to do just that.

This region of 800 cubic light years holds many astrophysical phenomena which Starfleet desires further data on, among them is the Ro'Maris Cluster comprised of over thirty densely packed stars most without any planetary bodies in orbit.

Fifteen solar systems have been charted in the sector itself during a long-range scan when the sector was first discovered in 2344 though many more are believed to be hidden behind the Cluster itself.

Evidence recently uncovered indicated the possibility of an ancient civilization and the possibility of ruins within one of the systems.

[I shall be providing a more indepth brief of the sector and the various Powers that influence it over the next few days. For the moment, like much of this introduction, this is but a teaser.]

THE POSITIONS
    -------------
    CO: Commanding Officer - Minimum Rank: Captain [NPC]
    XO: First Officer - Minimum Rank: Lt Commander
    20/Ops: Second Officer/Operations Manager - Minimum Rank: Lieutenant
    CEO: Chief Engineering Officer - Minimum Rank: Lieutenant
    CSO: Chief of Security and Tactical - Minimum Rank: Lieutenant
    CMO: Chief Medical Officer - Minimum Rank: Lieutenant
    SCI: Chief Science Officer - Minimum Rank: Lieutenant
    CNS: Counselor - Minimum Rank: Lieutenant

There will be room for five players, one slot of the five has already been filled. I would recommend given the nature of the series that the second officer/operations manager remain a NPC unless you as a player really have your heart set on it. Before applying, make certain you read all of the information provided here.

Required Advantage for Senior Staff (Must Purchase)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Department Head (+3) - Nebula-Class vessel.

THE PLAYER CHARACTERS
    ---------------------
    The active characters will comprise the Phoenix senior staff. Positions will be filled on a first request basis.

All methods of character creation are allowed including the expanded options within the Players' Guide for those that have access. In point of fact, I prefer people to use the Points system for generating characters and the options listed within the Player's Guide. The one thing I am using from the Players Guide is the cost for promotions. Each Promotion costs +2 DP instead of the progressing table listed in the Core Rules. Please apply this in whatever system you use to generate your character.

Points or additional tours will be allocated based upon the character's final position. (If you are an ensign and this is your first tour then you will only complete creation up to the end of the cadet cruise and will likely be built around a 115 points. If you are the first officer, you will likely have served three or four tours before your assignment here and be built around 140 or so points.) Please keep this in mind when using the advanced packages from the Players Guide.

When submitting for a position, I will give you a rough number of DP to play with.

All races published in the TNG Core Rules, TOS Core Rules, DS9 Core Rules, and Players' Guide are allowed.

All templates within all published works except for Starfleet Academy are allowed though advantages and disadvantages will be allowed.

I reserve the right to slightly modify a character in some manner to better fit the game I have in mind or veto a character concept. (This is rather unlikely but a Klingon/Vulcan hybrid trained in the ancient vulcan warrior arts that has all the emotions of his Klingon half though he has grown up on Vulcan would likely get the axe.)

The Vessel
    ----------
    The Nebula-Class stats in use will be the ones from Spacedock and all vessels encountered will be built under these rules. I will be providing additional information as well to help create a better feel for the ship.

The Crew
    --------
    I will be providing a crew roster and department breakdown prior to the beginning of play.

YahooGroups
    -----------
    Once the game is full I will be setting up a mailing list to allow for an easier distribution of information and discussion as well as a place to store logs, files and other information for the game.

The Time and the Place of Play
    ------------------------------
    The Day and Time are somewhat set in stone. The Game will be played on Tuesday Nights, 7pm to midnight MST. I am undecided as of yet whether this will be a weekly game or whether it will be played every second week. That we can discuss.

A private chat channel will likely be set up to facilitate play. Further information on this will be forthcoming.

Regards,
    CKV.

Arrow

I would like to play, in fact.. I have a CMO that might fit in.. she would be transferring off the USS Shenandoah, and has a bit of a Spotty record, a Reprimand that cost her her Department head on a tour prior to the Shenandoah. Perhaps she was given this mission as a way to shape up?

It's a definite possibility Arithon. Send me the character at:

shaman@nucleus.com

Now as for Don... HEY DON!!! *grin* It's only the basics but it is here.

Regards,
    CKV.

Exclamation

Yea, caught that.

What's with the CMO/CNS position being available? You tossing me out already!?!

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Oops. My bad. I forgot that Peri was also the CMO. I guess I unconsciously have it locked into my head that she is the COUNSELOR.

Arithon, if you are interested in another position please submit it. Don has been waiting for this game for sometime and it was my error for not double checking his character.

Regards,
    CKV.

I've got a Captain PC I could knock down to Commander for Executive Officer if that spot isn't filled yet.

Scott,

Send me the character stats and an idea of how many points he was built around as well as what general tours and packages when you submit the character and I will take a look.

Regards,
    CKV.

Unhappy

Darn, everything looked so fine and cool. Until minutes ago, when i realised that midnight MST is probably way too late for me to end a game.

Red face

Originally posted by Don:
    Yea, caught that.

What's with the CMO/CNS position being available? You tossing me out already!?!

Oops good thing RL stepped in and I didn't send you the file on the Betazoid.. well.. let's see.. I got 2 other crew.. a Flight control Officer named George Kirk. He's a Relative of James T. Kirk, Grandson of Peter Kirk, or a Joined Trill.. she was a 'Science' Officer of the USs Shenandoah, who has dealings with the Tehlari.. Race mentioned in the Romulan Boxed Set. In Fact George Kirk was also on the Shenandoah.. interesting thing about my Kirk.. the Kirk 'charm' with women have so far eluded him.. Let me know which one will work best and I promise sometime today I'll send you the sheets on both..

Anarchy Bob: 2am your time could be a tad painful, however that is the maximum length of time that game will play till not necessarily the actual time.

When the Valiant was in play, I believe our average was about three hours or so, was it not Don?

It all depends on the night and the regularity of people showing up...

Regards,
    CKV.

Arithon: Either would work but given the campaign, the Science officer would be easier to work into the story.

Regards,
    CKV.

Talking

A TAD painful? I wake up at 6 to get to work.

To get 8 hours of sleep, i'd have to quit one hour after the game starts.

Oh well, till another time.

AnarchyBob: Did I mention I like to understate things?

Another time then.

Regards,
    CKV.

Cool

I just learned something something kinda cool and kinda depressing.

As soon as i finish my internship, i'm going back to school for another semester. And on wednesdays, i won't have any classes until 1h00pm.

The catch? That doesn't start until the 9th of april and ends the 6th of july.

Anarchy Bob: We can always bring you in as a guest star during that time and then go from there if you want to try that?

Regards,
    CKV.