Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using CODA for non-ST games

Using CODA for non-ST games

Has anyone ever done that? I really love CODA but I can't find enough ST fans to have a regular gaming group.

On the other hand, using some other Sci-Fi setting... has anyone tried that? I was thinking specifically of Firefly. Why the %@#$ did it go off the air? One of the best shows ever!

Anyway, I don't think it should be too much work -- I believe I can just use the professions right out of the core books - not including the Star Fleet officers (maybe as Alliance feds).

Thoughts?
    Roy.

I've thought about porting Stargate SG-1 into CODA. Haven't gotten to it.

The d20-CODA conversion's pretty painless. Moved a few races from Farscape and Star Wars over; B5 would probably go over pretty well, too.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I have been considering using the Coda rules for a sci-fi setting of my own as well. The setting I had in mind would be more solar system exploration based. Instead of Starfleet it would be more like the FASA mention of Solarfleet.
    Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.

I used CODA system for a scenario in the universe of Transhuman Space.
    I made the conversions, it was not really easy...
    I really don't like GURPS system.
    --
    lK.

All you'ld need to do is profile the races from whatever universe you want to play in, and change "phaser" to "blaster" or "ray gun".

Re: Using CODA for non-ST games

Originally posted by Jorik
    Has anyone ever done that? I really love CODA but I can't find enough ST fans to have a regular gaming group.
    all in all, it looks like consensus says that using CODA for other purposes is fun and easy. I was thinking about trying it out for some sort of... medival thing (not fantazy, mind, no magic).

Re: Re: Using CODA for non-ST games

Originally posted by P'l
    I was thinking about trying it out for some sort of... medival thing (not fantazy, mind, no magic).
    I believe that the Lord of The Rings Roleplaying (which also use CODA) can you help you in that endeavor. And the magic system is very sutble -- I think you can even incorporate it to medival earth.

Re: Re: Re: Using CODA for non-ST games

I believe that the Lord of The Rings Roleplaying (which also use CODA) can you help you in that endeavor. And the magic system is very sutble -- I think you can even incorporate it to medival earth.
    Oh, I already had the setting done in my head, and it contains no magic, so that not a rpoblem. Infact, the entire conversion is mostly making a few new professions (inkl. packages et abilities), and maybe defining some extra skills like Heraldry or whatever.

Ofcourse, the whole project just got "cached for later", since I talked with my prospective players, and then dug out good old Ars Magica

It is funny but I had this same thought (using CODA for homegrown sci-fi or fantasy). It really is an excellent system

I've been using the LotR version of CODA for my own home-grown fantasy setting...as a fairly gritty, low-magic setting, CODA suited it perfectly. My intention was always to use Harnmaster, but the combat system in HM was just way too number-crunchy.

As it is, I only needed to make a couple of minor additions (including a Priest profession based on the Mystic from ST, and a Druid profession, which was basically a Magician but with more "green" spells), and it flew perfectly.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

What kind of spells did you give your Priest?

Re: Using CODA for non-ST games

On the other hand, using some other Sci-Fi setting... has anyone tried that? I was thinking specifically of Firefly. Why the %@#$ did it go off the air? One of the best shows ever!
    Well, I'm still (veeeeeery) slowly working on my CODA Dune stuff. Eventually, one day, maybe, I will even get to the playtesting stage. At which point we'll see how good a gamesmith I am.

Of course, this will require my work schedule to dip below 60 hours or so a week...

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

Right now I'm in the middle of writing a "core rule book" for a CODA Harry Potter game. Mostly need to finish up spells and their mechanics.

TF

I'm currently working on a transformers RPG using CODA system. CODA's core rules can transferred to TF with very well effort and they seem to work well for that universe and gives it very good feel for the comic book and T.V. show.
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. -- Mark Twain

Since the core system of CODA is nearly the same as D20, it would be just as easy (and difficult) to 'port the system over to another setting.