Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open invitation to show us the FASA Ground Forces Manual

Open invitation to show us the FASA Ground Forces Manual

A hearty discussion of the much lamented missing FASA's Ground Forces manual in another thread has given me the idea to post an open invitation to anyone out there who can get his hands on the draft GFM from FASA and make it available for us here on this message board.

It was supposed to come out in 1988/89 (I think).

Anybody! Whether you used to work for FASA, was the author of it, your sister's best friend's ex-boyfriend has the draft in his mother's house, whatever.

It's been 15 years.

Any form, any revision or any part of it. In text, adobe, etc, is acceptable.

PS. Here are the advertised but never published FASA books:

2228 Star Trek: The Final Frontier
    2304 Ship Recognition Manual: Gorn
    2305 Ship Recognition Manual: Orion
    2306 Ship Recognition Manual: Yachts
    (unknown number) Ground Forces Manual

Last edited by byteknight; 11-27-2003 at 10:23 PM.

Re: Open invitation to show us the FASA Ground Forces Manual

Originally posted by byteknight
    . . . Open invitation to anyone out there who can get his hands on the draft GFM from FASA and make it available for us here on this message board.
    That, unfortunately, would violate the moderators' policy of no copyrighted material posted to the boards. Still, a cover scan would be nice. . . just to prove the book exists.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Technically it's the site-owner's policy. We Moderators are just the enforcers...

As an aside, FASA also had advertised Reliant-deckplans in one of their catalogues. I remember since they returned a check to me when I ordered it, telling me they had cancelled those plans. I wonder if they ever made it to draft stage on those.

A millitary Trek treasure

I would love to see this book. Now what I want to know is did they have Tanks and Landing craft?
    "Seatbelts?!?! Why would we need those on a starship?" Starfleet's first bridge designer

Re: Re: Open invitation to show us the FASA Ground Forces Manual

Originally posted by Ezri's Toy
    That, unfortunately, would violate the moderators' policy of no copyrighted material posted to the boards. Still, a cover scan would be nice. . . just to prove the book exists.

A link would do nicely.

A link to any of the lost books would be great
    "Seatbelts?!?! Why would we need those on a starship?" Starfleet's first bridge designer

Correct me if I am wrong, but a book is not copyrighted until it is published I believe (If so Spacedock would not be allowed to be a down load here since it was relatively finished.) A manuscript on the other hand is at the authors decreation as what to do with it. At most I would say that the Ground force manual recieved its ISBN number but nothing else.
    Draftsmen in Training

Acually, copyright obtains as soon as it is written, although publication changes the status of the work and it is that point that the copyright must be registered. The works in question were almost certainly written as works-for-hire and would be copyright by FASA as a licensee of Paramount Pictures. Since FASA no longer exists, this does not mean that the copyright has evapourated or disappeared - the words written and paid for may have been released back to the authors, or may belong to the former owners of FASA (Jordan Weisman et al), or may now reside with Paramount. It's hard to say, and I doubt anyone is going to come forward to clarify things.

The Berne conventions, to which the United States is signatory, grants the author a copyright from the moment of creation. Generally, authors agree to assign the copyrights of works for hire to the hiring entity, which may or may not retain them indefinitely. In many RPG cases, the contracts call for the copyrights to revert to the authors upon the dissolution (not sale) of a corporate entity.

It is certain that someone holds the copyrights to these materials, and has since they were created.

Berne Rules

Reliant Deckplans

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    Technically it's the site-owner's policy. We Moderators are just the enforcers...

As an aside, FASA also had advertised Reliant-deckplans in one of their catalogues. I remember since they returned a check to me when I ordered it, telling me they had cancelled those plans. I wonder if they ever made it to draft stage on those.
    There's a great set of Reliant (actually Avenger) deckplans that I've heard are quite good. I'm going to be ordering a set for myself, now that our Starfleet chapter is Surya-class (TOS style with the Reliant arrangement).

http://members.aol.com/FH1860/

Take Care!
    COL Jeffrey A. Webb
    342nd MSG "The Wolf Dragoons"
    USS Ark Angel

Re: Reliant Deckplans

Originally posted by COLWebb
    There's a great set of Reliant (actually Avenger) deckplans that I've heard are quite good. I'm going to be ordering a set for myself, now that our Starfleet chapter is Surya-class (TOS style with the Reliant arrangement).

Take Care!

There are those of us in the very small minority (TOS FASAites) that would split hairs and say Reliant-class, not "actually Avenger." I think it was not called Avenger-class until TNG-oriented people unceremoniously renamed it. I don't remember the Reliant-class being called "Avenger" until TNG.

But, whatever, Tomat-O, Tom-A-to :-)
    Last edited by byteknight; 12-04-2003 at 01:02 PM.

"There are those of us in the very small minority (TOS FASAites) that would split hairs and say Reliant-class, not "actually Avenger." I think it was not called Avenger-class until TNG-oriented people unceremoniously renamed it. I don't remember the Reliant-class being called "Avenger" until TNG."

Actually, Avenger Class is a fannish invention, from a set of (horribly innacurate) fannish tech drawings done right after STII was released. The Paramount class name is Miranda Class.

Yeah, I believe it was the Ships of the Galaxy Vol 2 that came up with the name Avenger Class for the Reliant. The old FASA designation was Reliant Class. I, for one, always felt that FASA took the cheap way out by naming it that. Just because the Reliant was the only ship we saw, doesn't mean it's the first ship of the class and therefore the class namesake.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Grimace
    Yeah, I believe it was the Ships of the Galaxy Vol 2 that came up with the name Avenger Class for the Reliant. The old FASA designation was Reliant Class. I, for one, always felt that FASA took the cheap way out by naming it that. Just because the Reliant was the only ship we saw, doesn't mean it's the first ship of the class and therefore the class namesake.
    Well, at least they also made the class that the Reliant was refit from (the Anton).
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Oops, I didn't mean to derail the Ground Forces thread when I when I poked fun at the "Avenger" comment.

The open invitation to bring forth the FASA ground Forces manual is still on, I hope.
    ----
    Byteknight

Please visit my gaming blog at

http://fasatrekker.blogspot.ca/