View Poll Results: What do you think of the Star Trek: Section 31 novels ?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1: On the whole, the Section 31 novels were awful.

2 22.22%

0 0%

0 0%

2 22.22%

0 0%

0 0%

2 22.22%

3 33.33%

0 0%
  • 10: The Section 31 novels are the greatest thing since replicated bread!

0 0%

Thread: What do you think of the Star Trek: Section 31 Novels - No Spoilers please!

What do you think of the Star Trek: Section 31 Novels - No Spoilers please!

A short while back, Pocket Books published 4 novels focusing on Section 31 with one novel for each series - TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY. What did you think ? Were they good stories ? Were there any good ideas useable in a game ? (I'm trying to decide whether I should buy them or not.)

Please post your opinions; Keep in mind that there are some (like me) who haven't read the books, so please don't post any spoilers.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

TOS - Cloak

Not bad. Written quite cleverly in that the Section 31 involvement is very cleverely hidden throughout. Section 31 in this book is portrayed how a secrect government organisation should be portrayed. Not as an open secret as DS9 made you feel.

TNG - Rogue

The most enjoyable of the series as far as I'm concerned. Set just prior to First Contact it deals with Lt Hawk (from that film), Admiral Marta Betanates and Commander Cortin Zweller (from TNG ep Tapestry). Also got the Romulans, a fairly cool alien race and is genuinely a fun read.

DS9 - Abyss

Not too bad. Pretty much slots into the new DS9 series so if you're reading those books it's pretty important. Set after the end of the series it pretty much deals with Dr Bashir (again) and involves a renegade genetically engineered scientist (who's mad) going AWOL from Section 31. On par with the rest of the DS9 books prior to the Gamma series (when they went into a higher gear as far as I'm concerned).

VOY - Shadow

Total waste of paper. A nice idea for a plot but just badly written. The idea of a Section 31 agent on Voyager just rubs. Especially when you discover who she was in the series. Don't bother.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

There's Section 31 Books?! I love those guys I can't see a S31 Voyager book working too well.

Originally posted by TheAntisocial
    I can't see a S31 Voyager book working too well.
    And you'd be right.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

JonA is pretty much right on the money as far as I'm concerned, except that I don't think he emphasized the badness that is "Shadow" enough. Of the remaining books, "Abyss" is the clear winner. In fact, Andy Mangells (sp?) is one of the stand out new Star Trek writers.