Thread: Useful guides to the LoTR narrator

Useful guides to the LoTR narrator

Well, there are now 2 books that seem to sit wonderfully alongside the LoTR gaming books, as a work of Fiction in support of Tolkiens world.

The first is;
    The Atlas of Middle Earth
    ISBN; 026110277X

A somewhat older book, reprinted to sit alongside PJ's work. Full of maps and the history of Middle Earth, throughout Tolkiens work. Including some detail about the great battles in the Silmarillion and in the War of the Ring.

But then today I found one of the many books released to support PJ's film Trilogy;
    Lord of the Rings Weapons and Warfare
    ISBN, 000717201X

Now this book has all of the battles from the films, and some of the locations, military units, along with concept sketches, costume photos, production photos, detailing the armour and weapons seen in the films... Alomg with some useful information in support of some of the discussion going on in here about some of the missing weapons and named weapons...

Enjoy, as these reference books deserve a place with the main game books.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

That weapons and warfare book is really nice, but be forewarned: the text of the book follows the plots of the movies, not so much the plot of the books.

The only instance I can recall off the top of my head is...

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E

The book states that Elrond brought the reforged Anduril to Aragorn at Dunharrow, rather than Elrohir, Elladan, and the Grey Company as recounted in the novels. The movie has Elrond bringing Anduril.

So, someone not familiar with Tolkien will probably not notice the clear departures from the original text.

Originally posted by Ineti
    The book states that Elrond brought the reforged Anduril to Aragorn at Dunharrow, rather than Elrohir, Elladan, and the Grey Company as recounted in the novels. The movie has Elrond bringing Anduril.
    I think the change is even worse than that. In the novels Aragorn has the sword with him when he departs Rivendell, for it is identified in Moria, before Eomer, and at the doors of Meduseld. All that the Grey Company brings to Aragorn is Arwen's banner. So in the novels the sword is never 'brought' to him at all by anyone. I guess the filmmakers decided just to simplify things by cutting out Elrond's sons and the other Dunedain...which is a shame, because it would have made a heck of a lot more sense to have them show up at Helm's Deep rather than the Lorien-elf Haldir leading a Noldor Army from Rivendell.
    Scottomir's LOTR Game Resources:
    http://www.geocities.com/scott_metz/

Oh Dear...

However for those that are indeed aware that changes have been made the Weapons and Warfare book is a nice, pretty book that discusses the battles and relics of the Lord of the Rings...

I know that I can see where this book will be useful, after all, in my games I have never once been bound by the facts of a work of fiction... Although I may have used known details to apply a suitable legend or commonly accepted fact (which may or may not be accurate to my own story)...

Enjoy anyway...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Originally posted by Dan Gurden
    However for those that are indeed aware that changes have been made the Weapons and Warfare book is a nice, pretty book that discusses the battles and relics of the Lord of the Rings...
    I agree with you. This is a great book, chock full of good info on weapons and armour, especially the different pieces of armour and what they cover. There's also a nice discussion on different bows, their draws, and effective ranges. An enterprising RPGer should be able to base some good house rules off the info contained therein.

I also agree. I love Mr. T's work as much as the next guy, but I also appreciate Mr. Jackson's efforts just as much. This arms books is based off the TV, it makes no attempt to say or do otherwise and is a great resource for house rules (as Ineti mentioned) as well is a great looking book.

Thumbs up

Mrs Queeg just bought me the LotR Weapons and Warfare book yesterday. Man, it is one excellent campaign tool, and the armour and weapon glossaries at the back are handy for folks like me who aren't medieval weapons experts!

I give it two lobes up.

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

**** WARNING: SHAMELESS ADVERTISEMENT ****

You can't forget The Hall of Fire either as a resource for your gaming needs Incidentally, Issue #11 has been released over the weekend for your viewing pleasure. Links to sites sponsoring it are listed in my signature below.

GOB

Email:
    codawebzine@hotmail.com
    m.kearns@astronautics.com

CODA RPG Tools:
    http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/rpgtools/
    Former Editor, The Hall of Fire, Beyond the Final Frontier
    http://www.geocities.com/gandalfofborg25/index.html

Lets out a smoke ring and laughs

I don't think that is a shameless advertisment. I find the webzine Hall of Fire (which I recently discovered) a beautiful resource and a place we can come together and share our passion for the game , even over such long distances. So much for sentimentality. The Atlas and the Basic LOTR Books are great resources. I found the Weapons and armor book delightful and a seed for my imagination ( I am working on the wood elves and there variation of elvish culture. It serves as a good conceptual reference. Yes, I will also admit I buy the GW figuires too! Other than that I have found Unfinished Tales a good resource. Right now I am still working on a micro scale to RPGing Middle Earth. Anyway that is my silver penny in the pile.

Wilson
    the roads goes ever on..... so buy a volvo!

"don't tell the elf"-Gimili at the Hornburg LOTR TTT

What about second breakfast?- Pippin, LOTR FOTR

"My precious"- my treo 700 phone/PDA

I agree with Feanorgil that it's not a bad thing to mention Hall of Fire.

Absolutly WONDERFUL SOURCE!!!!!!

I also recently found it, and if anyone is missing out go there NOW. Don't click on refresh but go now!
    /end Ad
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

The atlas

is worth its wieght in gold....

The atlas is superb. LOTR players are really spoilt - we have so much original source material that one could easily say we only need the core rules!
    www.unfinishedtales.net

'Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works' JRR Tolkien

Something I have found handy..minis

I have found the Games Workshop minis and maps handy for running encounters. Also I have begun a comprhensive use of Minis to help create a visual for my heros. Currently I have caught the terrain building bug I have just finished the 2nd of three houses (rohirrim). I am in the planning stages for a 25 mm dol guldur tower.

Wilson

Although I use the minis I do not use 3d terrain. I prefer to use floor plans that I have either downloaded from the net or received in various mags.
    www.unfinishedtales.net

'Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works' JRR Tolkien

History of Middle Earth

I have also found that Christopher tolkien's editing of his father's works on the History of Middle Earth has been helpful in understanding the construction process of the Story of Middle Earth. It also contains lore and adventure hooks that could be found helpful for narrators and players alike.