Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bsg-75

Bsg-75

Just saw an ad on Space: The Imagination Station (CDN Sci-Fi Channel) for the new Galactica mini-series. And I have to say even though I have reservations on a few things, I'm stoked to see it in January.

Angry

YOu're not seeing it till January Phantom? Well we're getting it here on SciFi Channel on Dec. 8th here...and to be honest I am NOT "stoked"...more along the lines of upset.

I remember as a teenager watching BSG...it is still one of my fondest memories. Certainly some of the stories were goofy and scientific consistency was never seriously stressed; but the characters were appealing and the show was very much enjoyable. While I am not a "Hardcore" fan, I still have a warm regard for the original.

I recently saw the preview special on the new series and I have mixed feelings about it; on the one hand Ron Moore has made some effort to address things given little notice in the original, like the extent of the holocaust and trying to define the Cylons more clearly. However in my view, he has all but ignored what makes the series truly great and is giving us a pale imitation of the original.

I have two particular grievances about this "reimagination":

[list=1][*]The removal of the mythology aspect; this IMHO was one of the most distinctive aspects of the show....it gave the series an epic feel and contributed to its look. By removing this aspect, Moore's version is essentially nothing more than "Top Gun" in spaceships.[*]THe Cylons; in the new series, we are told they were created by the humans themselves..nw instead of an alien race, we now have an interstellar version of Skynet from the Terminator movies...it makes them seem too derivative of recent movies.[/list=1]

Apparently I am not the only one who feels dislike for the new series; a number of fans reactions to the new BattleStar Galactica show that this new series will not have much appeal to the old BSG fans. However I might watch anyway....if nothing else to rip it up properly.
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Arrow

At least former DS9 producer Ron D. Moore is upfront about his BSG being a re-imagination, unlike his former friend Brannon Braga keep shoving down our throat every week with Star Trek: ENTERPRISE. Yes, they added the Star Trek label to the show to add legitimacy and still Braga did not claim it to be a re-imagination series, which In My Mind, it is.

Besides, if you watch it with that negative mindset, then you will overlook the good points about the new re-imagined series.

Anyhoo, the Egyptian motif is pretty much overexposed on TV, thanks to Stargate SG-1.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Will you please give the Enterprise bashing a rest, Reg, especially in a thread about another show entirely?

Anyway, I couldn't care less if the new BSG is a re-imagination, or not exactly identical to the original show.

Three words: Edward James Olmos. He's reason enough IMO to sit down and watch this mini-series.

Beyond that, I just want to see Moore's vision of BSG. I'm viewing it with open eyes and an open mind.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Like I said I have some reservations about it. Like most I to have fond memories of watching the original series, on Thursday nights at 8pm channel 12 ABC...IMS.

But, what I saw looked like good Sci-fi if nothing else. I'll hold my over all verdict until I see it. At least it can't be as bad as the last Matrix movie...From what I have heard anyway.

Yeah, I wish it was this month, would add to my X-mas a bit.

Personally I always found the original BSG to be ... silly.

I mean, there is the Top Cartwright in outer space being chased by a bunch of aliens who think "Pong" is a great targetting program...

I put it down to the cheesiness of the time.

Wombat
    Class of '77

I have found my nostalgic side tends to be very fickle when it comes to old shows.

Some shows I find that I love when I seem them years later - others where I go... I was a fan of that show?

BSG falls into a middle catagory - loved some stuff, hated a lot more. Seeing it again made me realize the one thing I really hated was the reused battle footage. How many times did they think you could use the original BSG "movie" footage before it started to get annoying.

I liked the Mythic references in the show - its one one thing that seemed to hold up, even after all these years. Sorry to see it go.

However, I am not against Ron D. Moore's reimagining - more curious than anything else. It should be interesting to see what he thought needed tweaking and revising.

BSG is cool and all but its not something that I have put a lot of emotional attachment into - I am looking for a good show, rather than something which stays true to a show which ended before I was even ten years of age.
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

Originally posted by REG
    . . . . shoving down our throat every week with Star Trek: ENTERPRISE. Yes, they added the Star Trek label to the show to add legitimacy. . . .
    According to the latest interview with Rick Berman, it was UPN who requested that Star Trek be added to Enterprise's title in order to help with promotion. Berman and Braga weren't pleased with the idea but allowed it.

As for the new BSG, I can't wait for it. Of the original, the only thing I liked was the first two episodes.

This one appears to be more balanced; And, let's face it: Baltar's loyalty to the Cylons this time around is a bit more realistic. Here's hoping its released on DVD soon after its premiere.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

I saw a preview of the new BSG series on Sci-Fi Channel recently. I must say it looks interesting if different from the original. But I'm not one of those "purist" fans who believe a remake has to be exactly like the original or else the Apocalypse will occur. I'll judge the new series on its own merits, regardless of what it bills itself. I really liked the old series, but if the new series is good too, I'll watch it.

I was surprised they interviewed Richard Hatch who is on record being disappointed w/ a number of things in the new series. While this Sci-Fi Channel preview was clearly promoting the series, they did acknowledge the fan consternation about changes that are being done.

Originally posted by Sea Tyger

Will you please give the Enterprise bashing a rest, Reg, especially in a thread about another show entirely?
    Force of habit. At least I can safely say that I give that show a shot first before I render my opinion.

A lot of people are already bashing the new BSG and it didn't hit the air.

Anyway, I couldn't care less if the new BSG is a re-imagination, or not exactly identical to the original show.

Three words: Edward James Olmos. He's reason enough IMO to sit down and watch this mini-series.

Beyond that, I just want to see Moore's vision of BSG. I'm viewing it with open eyes and an open mind.
    Actually, in order of imporance to me: Ron D. Moore, Edward James Olmos, and Mary McDonnell.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by REG
    Actually, in order of imporance to me: Ron D. Moore, Edward James Olmos, and Mary McDonnell.
    Cool, I was wondering if I was the only Mary McDonnell fan on this board.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Arrow

Originally posted by Ramage

I mean, there is the Top Cartwright in outer space being chased by a bunch of aliens who think "Pong" is a great targetting program...

I put it down to the cheesiness of the time.
    It may be, but at the time it first aired, it was the coolest thing to watch for a tween (ages 9-12).

Despite that, I'm hoping for the Original BSG DVD collection under my holiday tree.

BTW, does anyone know who has the toy rights to BSG?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

I'm a hugh fan of the old Galactica, but I'm willing to give this one a chance. I think it'll be like the Lost in Space movie, a good sci-fi movie but not Lost in Space. My biggest problem with movie is what they've done to the characters. The sex change doesn’t bother me as much as the personality changes in characters (Col. Tigh a drunk, who gets into fist fights with jr. officers, specifically Starbuck.) I was one of the people who worried when TNG came on the air. And when Michael Keaton took on the roll of Batman I was certain he was the worst choose, but he turned out to be a good Batman (even though his Bruce Wayne left lots to be desired.) I wish them the best on this project & would look forward too a new series if they do a good job.

1st---I really liked the origional BSG. I enjoyed it greatly.
    2nd---It could have been done so much better. And I'm not talking the F/X, that was just the tech of the day. I'm talking the silliness. I always thought it was a great idea with a lot of potential. Potential that was never realized. The stories were, for the most part, remakes of movies. I mean, I saw "The Guns of Navaronne", and "The Magnificent Seven", and "The Towering Inferno". I didn't need to see them again in very thinly disguised rewrites. The writing was frankly cheesey. That was Sci-Fi in the seventies, no one took it seriously on TV. That BSG managed to be as good as it was is frankly amazing.
    However, asking anyone to cough up the money for a continuation of the origional now is a nonstarter. Ron Moore looks to have done a very impressive job of updating the show to a more "sophisticated" audience. The "mythic" qualities that everyone pines over were interesting in the seventies because that was the era of Atlantis, and Ancient Astronauts. Those themes would seem derivitive if they were used today. And while the old "hardcore" fans would eat it up they would blow any chance they had of gaining any new fans.
    So I intend the look back on the seventies BSG as a fond memory and look at the new BSG as a new show and hope that it can live up to the potential the origional had.

Edited for spelling, sorry I was on a roll.
    4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
    Evil Overlords Survival Guide

There are few problems in the galaxy which cannot be solved by a suitable application of concentrated phaser fire.
    Capt. Coryn Windsabre

I've always preferred photons myself.
    Cmdr. Marcus Aurelius Ferretti