Thread: Star Trek Episode alt.binaries decoding

Post Star Trek Episode alt.binaries decoding

All right, I realize that this is not a Star Trek issue, per se, but I am stumped and I figured there were some techno-guys here that could help.

I have "The Best of Both Worlds 1 & 2" on VHS, but, since getting a cable modem, I've found that I can download them to my PC from some newsgroups. This works out well as the VCR is now on the blink.

So I've downloaded the pieces of those particular episodes, but I now have no idea how to decode them/reintegrate them to watch them on my computer.

Any ideas?

mactavish out.

Newsgroups? Eeech! Look on the web -- there are tons of sites that have all the Trek episodes on them for you to download.

As far as Newsgroups, those files are UUEncoded ASCII text files -- your newsreader will have to decode them into individual files (probably ZIPs, I'd guess), then you'll have to merge those files into one big file (AVI, MPEG, DIVX, whatever).

Your newsreader should do this automatcially. If not, find the web sites -- ten times easier on your sanity.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

If you are going to browse Newsgroups I recommend that you get a better news reader. I personally use Forte's Free agent. It can string together binary attachements quickly and easily. It's about 2 megs in size and can be downloaded for free off their site. go to http://www.forteinc.com and enjoy the newsgroups.

------------------
    The pain, the pain. I think a neuron
    just short circuited. *thud*