Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

The new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

So, is anyone else going to check out the new Battlestar Galactica on Monday? I am. It may be different from the original, but from what I've seen so far, I think I will like.

There are a lot of hardcore old school fans who absolutely abhor the current direction of the new Galactica, and I cannot blame them. But I do hope that this new Galactica will take off. If it doesn't, well, I guess there will be the DVD eventually.

Also, for anyone who may wish to read the Galactica fanfic I am working on (Original series fanfic) goto :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BSGCon
    Click on Files, Click on Martok2112's Stuff, Click on Dark Exodus in Larger Text, and enjoy. It is 26-27 Chapters so far, and the final battle is impending.

I would love to hear your input.

Respectfully to all, whether pro- or anti- mini,
    General Chang
    "So the Enterprise is on her maiden voyage, eh? Now that is one well endowed lady. Ah'd like to get mah hands on her ample nacelles, if ye'll pardon the bit o' engineerin' parlance." -Scotty, STAR TREK, 2009

I am planning to watch the new, and it looks like it could be very good. I hope it takes off as well.
    4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
    Evil Overlords Survival Guide

There are few problems in the galaxy which cannot be solved by a suitable application of concentrated phaser fire.
    Capt. Coryn Windsabre

I've always preferred photons myself.
    Cmdr. Marcus Aurelius Ferretti

Arrow

See other thread.

We have spoken our minds in that one.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Looks good. I love the idea of the Cylons being androids, and that "the neglected kids coming back to nail the parents angle" I really like.

The ship looks bad ass too...
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Here's my general feeling about it:

Not any kind of sequel -- very good.
    Cylons were made by humans -- ambivialent.
    Cylons are Terminators (can pass as human) -- yuk.
    Boomer and Starbuck are girls -- fine by me, so long as the don't link Starbuck romaticly to Apollo.
    Apollo has a more normal name -- fine with me.
    Edward James Olmos as Adama -- ROCKS!
    Ships look similar but different -- fine.
    Displays look similar but different -- snazzy.

I was a huge fan of Galactica, but I recoginze that it was basicly a kids show, and a fairly lame one at that. I appretiate that it will have to be "matured-up" for a modern audience. I like that they are improving the effects while still maintaining the feel of the show's look.

Based on the hype I've seen, I'm expecting to like it.
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

Thought of one other thing:
    Glen Larson once said that his greatest regret about the original show was getting talked into doing the sequel, Galactica 1980. His reason was simply that he had liked the ambiguous setting of the first show, and the second fixed it firmly in time.
    Even taking into account the season finale (which turned out to be the series finale), where the audience sees the broadcast of the Apollo landing on the moon after the cast leaves the room, it is unclear whether they are in the future and viewing an ancient broadcast or in the present and 10 light-years away.

That said, he also liked Galactica 1980 for the one episode that was all in flashback, telling a story about Starbuck. What he liked was the Cylon in that episode got to behave like a sentient creature, something the network hadn't allowed on the first series, except when he snuck it by them.

So, I miss the ambiguous time frame that the mythological trappings helped create.
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

Originally posted by Space_Cadet
    here's a review of the mini

Ouch!

Ummm, he compared it to Wing Commander...::Shudder:: this does not bode well.

I, for one, rather liked it. There were a lot of nice homages to the old show, and the new effects were very nice. I thought the characters were reinvented well, and the it had a nice, solid carrier feeling to it.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by qerlin
    I, for one, rather liked it. There were a lot of nice homages to the old show, and the new effects were very nice. I thought the characters were reinvented well, and the it had a nice, solid carrier feeling to it.
    Outstanding show so far; Has a real Space: Above And Beyond feel to it. The nuances I liked:

<UL>
    <LI>The retro-tech!</LI>
    <LI>They give solid within-the-milieu reasons for why the retro-tech is used in the show.</LI>
    <LI> The new Cylons are upgrades of those seen in the original show. They've evolved!</LI>
    <LI>The Cylon ships aren't piloted by Cylons. They are Cylons.</LI>
    <LI>For once the promoters didn't lie: The new Starbuck is very much like the old. However, Apollo is quite different.</LI>
    </UL>

The things I didn't like:

<UL>
    <LI> The Babylon 5 uniforms. (Don't mind 'em, per se, but they should stay on Babylon 5).</LI>
    <LI> A number of the Cylon ships look too much like over-sized Stargate SG-1 death gliders.</LI> </UL>

Well, I'm hooked. Can't wait for part two.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Cool

Yeah, I rather liked it myself. At first I thought they were building up too slowly, but then I realized that the writers were taking advantage of the mini-series format to build their characters realistically. The language and feel of the show are right on. I really felt that this was a real spacecraft carrier at war. I also appreciated the nod to Sir Isaac and the use of thrusters during the space combat. As for Starbuck- well, damnit all, she's so much like my usual Cmdr Powers RPG character it's scary!

Can't wait until tomorrow.
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

I have to come in on the side of the "it was great" crowd. Part one was very well done and I am looking forward to part two.
    4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
    Evil Overlords Survival Guide

There are few problems in the galaxy which cannot be solved by a suitable application of concentrated phaser fire.
    Capt. Coryn Windsabre

I've always preferred photons myself.
    Cmdr. Marcus Aurelius Ferretti

There's fans of the original BG that are all blowing their gaskets on other websites in response to the new Galactica,calling the first BG "epic,monumental".B.S..The original was nothing more than ABC trying to cash in on the Star Wars craze. Nothing epic or monumental about it.Yeah I liked the first one,but that was a time when there was pretty much no science fiction on TV (a year after Space:1999 went off the air) good for a 9 year old.I would have liked ANY SF show they threw at me.

But this new one on the other hand was pretty damn good. Gritty, much more of a martial theme. Killer space battles. The new cylons were cool (liked the sexbot chick too). The acting could have been better,but I'll take the good with the bad. This one made more sense. I'm looking forward to tomorrow night and part 2.And after all of the crappy Sci Fi original movies I've seen (with the exception of Children of Dune and Galactica) I would like too see more like this.
    "I am not a Merry Man!"-Worf

Ok...

I have to agree that this was a really good intro and I thought that the way they combined old with the new was done really well.

Really liked Adama.
    Liked Starbuck.
    Jury out on Apollo.
    Boomer....hmmm.....
    Col. Tigh.....trying to get a handle on that one.
    The chief of the hangar deck...yea liked him.
    Balthazar was very good.
    Minister of Education....all I could see was Dances with wolves.

The combat looked great, and I am really looking forward to part two. Liked the Galactica a lot, but want more to look at.

My one concern is the upcoming power struggle between Adama and the President.

Ok I'm done and tired to boot.
    "The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank." -- Lt. Cdr. Montgomery Scott ("A Taste of Armageddon")

Yeah, i really did enjoy it. big thumbs up
    Garet