Thread: Doug/Jesse/Anyone: Clarification About Wound Levels

Doug/Jesse/Anyone: Clarification About Wound Levels

My group and I were playing tonight and got bogged down in some armed combat. It came to my attnetion, that when damage levels got to "Wounded"/ "Incapacitated"/ and "Near Death", we were confused regarding effects.

I know (and verified) the TN penalties associated with these Wound Status states (-5,-7,-9 respectively), but I can't seem to find any other associated penalities or events. in either the PG or NG. Specifically, when we used ICON/LUG rules a long time ago, when someone reached "Incapacitated" they would be out for 2-12 minutes (and couldn't perform an action until after waking up and having First Aid rendered to them).

Am I missing a reference in eith PG or NG for these wound effects (aside from the TN penalties)? Or did the CODA rules simplify things by simply increasing the penalities. I'm fine either way, its just bugging me because I don't think I missed anything.

I guess when you take away phasers (usually set to stun, and when not, they are at settings 9+) from players, these things happen

Thanks in advance.
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

From what I know, there is no such rules: a wound level is a TN penalty, and nothing else. OTOH, there's nothing to prevent you from applying the LUG penalties (falling to the ground, losing one's actions for the rest of the round, etc), or create some new ones, but I don't think there are any of them in the rules (maybe in CODA LOTR ?).
    Also, I don't think there are specific rules about unarmed combat. Doug suggested once on these boards that a character losing all wound levels in unarmed combat would fall inconscious instead of dying, but otherwise there are no mentions of this in the books AFAIK. But I think some of us on the boards came up with home rules for that (I did too, but never got the opportunity to playtest it so far).

Hope this helps
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

C5 seems to have answered this at least as well as I could have. Probably better...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

In my current game, I'm finding the wound levels are a little cumbersome - Klingons in hand-to-hand combat take forever to wear their opponents down... "You hit the Jem'Hadar again. Reeling from the 7th blow, he staggers and raises his knife yet again".

A house-rule I've been thinking of adding is the idea of cascading wound levels. The basic idea is after applying damage for a character, if the damage brings the character to a new wound level make a Stamina Check (TN of 5 or 10, haven't decided yet, though the roll is modified by current wound status). If you fail, you lose all points left at the current wound level. Meaning the next time you are wounded you'll need to make that test again as it will bring you to a new wound level.

Example. Benzine the Benzite has a Health rating of 8 and a Stamina Reaction of +1. He takes five points of damage. Still healthy, with three points left healthy. Benzine takes five more damage. That brings him down to Dazed, filling in two bubbles within dazed. He makes a Stamina TN and rolls a 2. 2+1(Stamina)-1(dazed) = 2: failure, so he fills in all bubbles within dazed. He is still dazed but the next wound will take him to Injured.

Now suppose he takes ten points of damage. That is enough to fill in all the bubbles for Injured and two in Wounded. He is Wounded and makes a Stamina reaction at -5. He fails that test and all bubbles within Wounded.

This will make hand-to-hand combat a bit deadlier (which I think it should be) and also, I hope, speed it up. I'll try it out in my next game. Since it's a Klingon game, there should be a lot of melee combat...
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Thanks

I'm simply happy I wasn't missing anything
    "Everything happens for a reason..."