Phasers: Type XI (x5/E) 30 sp
    Penetration: 6/6/6/0/0
    Torpedo Launchers: Mk 75 (x4) 24 sp
    Photon Penetration: 6/6/6/6/6
    Deflector Shield: FSS [E] 15 sp
    Protection/Threshold: 15/3

Miscellaneous
    Maneuver Modifiers: +3C, +0H, +2T
    Traits: Battle Tested, Ablative Armor, Regenerative Shields, Hardened system (Computer)X2

99 Spaces for Size 7 (1 space available)

The so-called Excelsior III Project grew out of the simple realization by Starfleet Command that while the original Excelsior Project had a rough start originally with it’s failed Transwarp drive, it had more than vindicated itself as Starfleet’s primary long-range battle cruiser and explorer for more than fifty years, and had continued to serve with distinction after numerous upgrades and refits.

The Dominion War, however, had shown starkly that the Excelsior, which did perform above it’s weight and admirably for it’s age, was woefully outclassed and outdated compared to the technologically superior Dominion battle cruisers. The losses were high and Starfleet was left with a very noticeable gap in it’s order of battle that could not be readily filled by any other ship in it’s current inventory.

The Lakota-class upgrade has proven to be too costly in resources, time, and personnel to be worth the effort, but Starfleet was loath to give up such a well-tested battle and exploration workhorse, so Starfleet’s RD&E went back to the drawing board to start over from scratch.

There had been some discussion about bringing Shivunallijus Warp Technologies, the original Excelsior contract team back onto the project (as most of the design team was still living), but due to SWT’s current caseload with the Prometheus, Sovereign, And Nebula Upgrade projects, the contract fell to M’Yengh Yards, an orbital construction Yard based out of Shzrenesohr, Cait IV, a long-time subcontractor to SWT for Excelsior Hulls.

During this time, Starfleet had cast about to see if any other vessel could fit the bill of a command ship. There had been a brief suggestion of the Galaxy-class, but due to Galaxy’s still rather dubious reputation (the loss of over half of the initial production run tended to dim the reception of the idea) and the material cost and time of building and crewing such a vessel. The Nebula class was also suggested, but suffered from the fact that it’s combat capabilities were decidedly lacking, and the Akira was simply a dedicated battle platform, thus unsuitable. After much gnashing of teeth and argument, Starfleet gave the go ahead for a new ship design.

The M’Yengh design team scrapped the Excelsior hull and while keeping the basic frame design, began with the incorporation of modern construction techniques and components. Her upgraded engines and variable weapons loadout (photon, quantum, pulse wave, and tri-cobalt devices) give her a respectable punch for a ship of her class, and the incorporated ablative armor give her an additional staying power not seen usually in larger ships of her class.

With her improved sensors and maneuverability, the new Excelsior design appears to be well on it’s way to becoming a staple of the Post-Dominion War Fleet once it passes trials.

Ships of note:

U.S.S. Excelsior-B (NX-2000-C): Prototype

[Authors note: I've seen this design floating out on the web for sometime and I rather like it, So I decided to give designing her a whirl. feel free to rip into it to yer hearts content].
    Last edited by BouncyCaitian; 10-14-2005 at 05:15 AM.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    "C'mon, we all know that the Cait IV shipyards were the original designers of the Excelsior hulls, and SWT only took credit for them after the fact!"

Lt. Cmdr. Karlinarsti
    Chief Engineer
    USS Lily Sloane

Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Wouldn't the second Excelsior be the USS Excelsior-A not B?

Technically, the Structurally Reinforced Excelsior upgrade (see the Enterprise-B) was enough of an upgrade and refit that Starfleet changed the NCC-2000 to NCC-2000-A
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

That doesn't seem like something Starfleet would do. When the Enterprise NCC-1701 was refitted and totally rebuilt, even that wasn't enough of a refit for them to call it the Enterprise-A.

Yeah, I know...but this is the history I've seen on the class found around the net so far. Personally I like the NX-2000-A idea better. I'm thinking when I finalize the design, it will be NX-2000-A. What do you think of the design in general?

Thumbs up

What do you think of the design in general?
    Simple answer: great job! No nitpicks (really!)

I like the way she's moderately armed and defended. The ablative armor and regenerative shielding are definitely nice touches.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

I like it, but I'm not sure I think the idea of the Excelsior spaceframe being used for a totally new ship some 80+ years later. Other than that, yes, I like the basic idea for the ship a lot.

I love this class of ship and the history that you put with it. Good job!

Just a spell-check moment here. You have one too many r's in www.ussmiranda.com I went to ussmiranda.com and its cool.

Just my 2 credits worth.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

The reason for the E III design was simple: ease of construction and general maintenance, something desperately needed in the days after the Dominion war.

The E & EII series hadn't been built in decades and were showing their age badly, but the general design was one worked on by most engineering cadets, so pretty much everyone knew how to get the most out of it.

While keeping the general overall structure, the frame was updated and reinforced with the most modern techniques, making the ship easy to work on, and yet durable for the current era.

While not a heavy cruiser/Explorer like the Soverigen/Galaxy, the EIII was meant to fit into a niche that was desperately needed: a tough, flexible workhorse that could act as a command ship in a pinch, pack a respectable punch, and still carry out stafleet's primary mission, that of exploration, with reduced crew compared to the larger explorers. In this, the EIII is quite respectable.

[plus her pics are cool. check the link.]

http://www.ussmiranda.com/ships/excelsior3.htm
    Last edited by BouncyCaitian; 12-22-2005 at 07:49 PM.

Talking

I've seen the Excelsior-B myself and have always liked it; while I never was too fond of the original, I found the new updated version more appealing.

THis would also be consistent with Starfleet shipbuilding policy as I see it after the Dominion War; a focus on larger numbers of small and midsized vessels replacing the big explorers.

And BTW BouncyCaitian, I have that site bookmarked too; it has a really great ship database!
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Edited for Clairity

Excelsior III
    Battle/Exploration Cruiser
    Commissioned: 2375

Propulsion Systems
    Impulse: FIB-3 (.75c) (D) 2 sp
    Warp: LF-35 (6/9.2/9.8 ) (D) 5 sp

Hull Data
    Structure: 40 (5 ablative armor)
    Size/Decks: 7/30
    Length/Height/Beam: 470/111/266
    Complement: 650

Operational Data
    Atmosphere Capable: No
    Cargo Units: 80
    Life Support: Class 3 [D] 6.5 sp
    Operations System: Class 4 [E] 7.5 sp
    Sensor System: Class 3 [D] (+2) 3 sp
    Separation System: Yes
    Shuttle Bay: 1 a
    Shuttlecraft: 7 Size worth
    Tractor Beams: 1 fv, 1 ad
    Transporters: 4 standard, 4 emergency, 4 cargo

Tactical Data
    Phasers: Type XI (x5/E) 30 sp
    Penetration: 6/6/6/0/0
    Torpedo Launchers: Mk 75 (x4) 24 sp
    Photon Penetration: 6/6/6/6/6
    Deflector Shield: FSS [E] 15 sp
    Protection/Threshold: 15/3

Miscellaneous
    Maneuver Modifiers: +3C, +0H, +2T
    Traits: Battle Tested, Ablative Armor, Regenerative Shields, Hardened system (Computer)X2

99 Spaces for Size 7 (1 space available)

The so-called Excelsior III Project grew out of the simple realization by Starfleet Command that while the original Excelsior Project had a rough start originally with it’s failed Transwarp drive, it had more than vindicated itself as Starfleet’s primary long-range battle cruiser and explorer for more than fifty years, and had continued to serve with distinction after numerous upgrades and refits.

The Dominion War, however, had shown starkly that the Excelsior, which did perform above it’s weight and admirably for it’s age, was woefully outclassed and outdated compared to the technologically superior Dominion battle cruisers. The losses were high and Starfleet was left with a very noticeable gap in it’s order of battle that could not be readily filled by any other ship in it’s current inventory.

The Lakota-class upgrade has proven to be too costly in resources, time, and personnel to be worth the effort, but Starfleet was loath to give up such a well-tested battle and exploration workhorse, so Starfleet’s RD&E went back to the drawing board to start over from scratch.

There had been some discussion about bringing Shivunallijus Warp Technologies, the original Excelsior contract team back onto the project (as most of the design team was still living), but due to SWT’s current caseload with the Prometheus, Sovereign, And Nebula Upgrade projects, the contract fell to M’Yengh Yards, an orbital construction Yard based out of Shzrenesohr, Cait IV, a long-time subcontractor to SWT for Excelsior Hulls.

During this time, Starfleet had cast about to see if any other vessel could fit the bill of a command ship. There had been a brief suggestion of the Galaxy-class, but due to Galaxy’s still rather dubious reputation (the loss of over half of the initial production run tended to dim the reception of the idea) and the material cost and time of building and crewing such a vessel. The Nebula class was also suggested, but suffered from the fact that it’s combat capabilities were decidedly lacking, and the Akira was simply a dedicated battle platform, thus unsuitable. After much gnashing of teeth and argument, Starfleet gave the go ahead for a new ship design.

The M’Yengh design team scrapped the Excelsior hull and while keeping the basic frame design, began with the incorporation of modern construction techniques and components. Her upgraded engines and variable weapons loadout (photon, quantum, pulse wave, and tri-cobalt devices) give her a respectable punch for a ship of her class, and the incorporated ablative armor give her an additional staying power not seen usually in larger ships of her class.

With her improved sensors and maneuverability, the new Excelsior design appears to be well on it’s way to becoming a staple of the Post-Dominion War Fleet once it passes trials.

Ships of note:

U.S.S. Excelsior-B (NX-2000-C): Prototype
    Last edited by BouncyCaitian; 10-04-2005 at 02:54 AM.

I'd add your explanation for keeping the basic Excelsior spaceframe into the notes of the class itself.

I personally would keep the A rather then the B but if you want the ease of reference for using the Miranda site, I can understand that. It's also quite easy to deal with another ship being named the Excelsior-A between the two.

Though, I still have the original running around in my campaign being commanded by one of Sulu's great grandkids. Nostalgia and all that.

Regards,
    CKV.
    "It is our mission to push back the darkness from the light and expand the boundaries of knowledge and understanding. That doesn't mean exploring every pleasure planet between here and Andromeda XO."

Adjusted registry designation and a few other edits