Thread: Question about early starship shielding & missile weapons

Question Question about early starship shielding & missile weapons

I have been studying my meager resources on the Earth - Romulan War / Beginning of the Federation. I was wondering if anybody knows if shields were available this early on and/or maybe when they were first put into use?

In the same way, I have been trying to determine when Starfleet switched from using "missiles" to photon torpedoes.

Just some more history questions of a Junior Member. Hope I don't bug you all to much with them.

John Adams

------------------
    "Kirk to Enterprise. Cestus III has been destroyed." (Oh, like who doesn't scan a planet before they beam down?

I read a novel by Diane Duane, called Final Frontier. In that novel, the Enterprise (which didn't even have a name, that is, until near the end of novel), captained by Capt. Robert April, tested its weaponry. If memory serves, the ship had particle-beam cannons, lasers, and nuc-missiles.

Beyond that, I won't ruin the novel for you, but I consider Final Frontier to be one of her better novels.

------------------
    "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."
    -Chang (ST VI)

I don't think that there was a long period between the invention of warp drive and the invention of shields. After all, shielding is similar to navigational deflectors, and who wants warp drive without navigational deflectors? The phrase, "That'd ruin your whole day" comes to mind.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

Granted SFX were a little fuzzy in the beginning episodes, i believe Photorps were first used in the first or second year of Kirks command, when the phaser effect became the photorp effect, and phasers became beams. When the fx department finally decied what did what. In the Tech manuals, Torpedoes had been bascially unchanged for a hundred years, making the current design in the mid 2260's and the earlier short range photorp a few years before that.

------------------
    "Mission? what mission?"
    "Save the galaxy."
    "AGAIN?!?!?!?!"