Thread: Peter Jackson on goofs in LoTR trilogy

Peter Jackson on goofs in LoTR trilogy

I don't remember seeing any of these mentioned goofs:

Peter Jackson on goofs in LoTR trilogy
    http://www.enworld.org/scifi/modules...rder=0&thold=0

Facinating. Never saw any of those errors myself, either.

Its interesting what mistakes people find in movies - some people have a lot of time on their hands or really have a critical eye when it comes to movies.

I mean, I was interested more in the differences between book and movie than Frodo had snot on his face in every shot
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

Arrow

The more times you see the movie, the more you become acute to finding discrepancies, or flubs as they called them.

For example, when Pippin was about to get trampled, his hands were unbound and outstretched, but when Aragorn was telling the story left by the "tracks", Pippins rolled to avoid the hooves stomping... and went to cut the rope that binds his hands.

Flubs. It happens.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by REG

For example, when Pippin was about to get trampled, his hands were unbound and outstretched, but when Aragorn was telling the story left by the "tracks", Pippins rolled to avoid the hooves stomping... and went to cut the rope that binds his hands.

Flubs. It happens.
    This is not a flaw in translation between book-to-film. This just means the guy/gal they had in charge of continuity was at lunch when the scene was shot. It's like in some movies showing an actor finishing half a drink and in the next scene he still has a full glass. Or my current fav from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, when Dorian Grey gets peppered by automatic rifle fire, and you see the bullet holes in his suit, then in the next he is wearing an intact suit. As you say it happens, but this situation should not be used to compare the movie with the book.

Originally posted by Phantom
    This is not a flaw in translation between book-to-film. This just means the guy/gal they had in charge of continuity was at lunch when the scene was shot.
    And sometimes that shot was the best of all they filmed - either in character movement, scene flow, or film quality. Its chosen over other more continuity-acceptable shots because of this. One thing I noted from the commentary from both Mummy Returns and Two Towers was that often the director and editor has to make tough decisions on which "take" to use, sacrificing one thing (visual quality or continuity) in order to make the scene flow better in other ways.

Its a tough job and on one hand you have to be very quality-conscious in terms of overall film quality and flow. On the other hand you can't be a such a perfectionist that you can't make small sacrifices here and there in order to make a better film overall.

Hats off to Jackson and company again...
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

Arrow

Originally posted by Phantom

As you say it happens, but this situation should not be used to compare the movie with the book.
    My apologies. But then you should have already read my statement about adapting one media work to another somewhere in this forum.

Anyhoo, one of the differences you must be referring to, for example, is the scene in the film which Grima was actually saying Eowyn's line (as depicted in the book), giving us the impression that the snake is a mind-reader (or just very intuitive).
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by REG
    My apologies. But then you should have already read my statement about adapting one media work to another somewhere in this forum.

Anyhoo, one of the differences you must be referring to, for example, is the scene in the film which Grima was actually saying Eowyn's line (as depicted in the book), giving us the impression that the snake is a mind-reader (or just very intuitive).
    Sorry Reg I was speaking generally not about your statement in specific.