Thread: Chronicle ideas for 2 PCs?

Chronicle ideas for 2 PCs?

Hi all!

I am getting ready to start a chronicle for two players. One want's to be an elven archer, the other a shieldmaiden of Rohan.

I'm trying to figure out a couple of ideas for a chronicle, but could use some ideas.

Any suggestions or any difficulties you folks may have come across with just having a couple of PC's?

Would appreciate any help.

Tom

What year/age are you placing the chronicle? I can think of lots of ideas, but I need some baseline before suggesting anything.

Smile I guess that would help.

hehe oops!

I guess it would help huh?

The players (my sister and brother-in-law) are mostly just familiar with the Hobbit and LotR, so wanted to set things sometime during that time span. They liked the movies, but also know the book timeline, so there's some flexibility there.

I don't remember in the books how early the Uruk-hai started coming around, but I seem to remember them being around earlier than the war and I'd like to use them as a challenge in some way since both characters will probably be warriors.

The Elf is a Sindar from Mirkwood with lore of the Misty Mountains as well and some knowledge of Rohan culture. Taking the Scout package for the warrior, I can see him being about anywhere to gather information.

(I've borrowed an idea I saw on the Decipher boards about changing the Lore groups and subgroups around. As such, he's got Lore: Elves (History), Lore: Elves (Culture), Lore: Rohan (Culture), Lore: Mirkwood (Realm) , etc... )

Not sure what my sister will do, but I see a Shieldmaiden-type character as a good possibility.

That help? :-)
    Tom

Sounds nice! Rohirrim and Elves are always fun.

Perhaps the opening scene should be somewhat reminiscent of the scene where the Three Hunters meet Eomer's eored, but in this case it's the Elf scout (who is on a scouting mission in Rohan?) meeting the Shieldmaiden (who is hastening towards an enemy force) and her eored (or her friends, or just her alone, or however you pull it off). This way each character could introduce him/herself to the other.

After they’ve introduced themselves and have decided what they are going to do, they are ambushed by the enemies that the Shieldmaiden was en route to attack (be they Isengard Orcs, Warg-riders, Uruks, Dunlendings, Mordor Orcs, or what have you: Dunlendings or Warg-riders would be my first choice).

So these two first scenes would accomplish several things: getting the party together, give them a nice taste of roleplaying their characters, involve them in the action quickly, and get them started on the adventure.

Also, perhaps the Orcs wear an odd symbol (old ploy, but cool still), or the wargs are especially big and ferocious, or some of the ambushing characters are attempting to escape, or the like; any of these would get them going I think.

Hope this helps!

Another option is perhaps bringing the Shieldmaiden (if that's what she decides to play) north inot the Anduin Vale-lands where the Rohirrim of Eorl's day came from.

Keep it coming, please! :-)

Mmmm some good ideas around here.

The characters are indeed The elven scout and the Shield-maiden (who due to slapping Grima before she left Edoras has him as an enemy )

I'll see what I can do about getting the characters up and perhaps start a small Thread with the character info and such in case anyone would like to use them as NPC's or such too.

My bro-in-law also decided that he'd like to have a second character later onto bring along after a time, a Dwarven Travelling Magician with Healing hands, Lore:Herbs, and good healing skill (but he took lightning as a spell... heal and hurt big time I guess.. LOL) Oh, and he's one of the colonists of Moria who left before Durin got wiped out. He's most likely on his way back home after being gone a few years.....

I was considering part of the initial chapter be an encounter in Mirkwood, perhaps something dealing with Dol Guldur or such. not sure yet though.

I really do appreciate the help with ideas and such. THat's what I like about around here, the friendliness.

Tom

I wonder what Grima was trying to do, that made your Shieldmaiden slap him... nevermind, I really don't think I want to know that bad.

Travelling into the North lands (Mirkwood, Erebor, Dale, the forgotten lands of the Éothéod, etc) would be really cool for both a Rohir and an Elf to travel through as Markraven suggested.

Perhaps the Shieldmaiden has been sent to recover and heirloom that was left in the ruins of their ancestors' deserted dwellings, or maybe she has to travel there as some sort of tradition.

I wonder what would make the Elf travel that way... perhaps he is on a scouting mission (maybe he's tracking an Enemy that escaped from the Elves in Mirkwood; Gollum even!) and meets the Rohir whilst she is heading North to the deserted lands of her kin.

Whatever you decide, I'll be very interested; both because I have a great interest in the North-lands and also Rohirrim, Elves, and Gondorians are the types of characters that my brothers like to play best, so I'd perhaps be able to use what you use for myself.

Oh, and by the way; I totally agreed with you when you said: "THat's what I like about around here, the friendliness" If you compare the LotR RPG boards with the LotR TCG boards, the difference in friendliness is amazing! I guess it's because RPGers tend to be older and more mature than TCGers, and LotR is a very mature thing as well.

Originally posted by ben hur
    [BI wonder what would make the Elf travel that way... perhaps he is on a scouting mission (maybe he's tracking an Enemy that escaped from the Elves in Mirkwood; Gollum even!) and meets the Rohir whilst she is heading North to the deserted lands of her kin.[/B]
    If anything they could be a scout to make sure that the way to Imladris remains open or a scout to keep tabs on the orcs of Mt. Gundabad or even fallen Moria.

Why not switch it around & have them meet in Mirkwood.

Perhaps the Shieldmaiden is a friend of Eowyn. She has been sent in secret to Mirkwood to find a rare herb which Eowyn believes can cure King Theoden from his strange failing illness. Grima finds out & alerts Saruman who dispatches some of his new Uruk-hai to delay or stop the mission. The shieldmaiden can then meet the Elf in Mirkwood - release him from a spider's web perhaps?

Sooth.