Thread: Lord Of The Rings RPG Status

Lord Of The Rings RPG Status

I would like to know what is going on with Lord Of The Rings RPG future books.

There alot of people going off on Decipher's Lord Of The Rings RPG Message Board. Saying that Decipher lost the rights to Lord Of The Rings.

Please some one give me some answers.

Bummer. And would these people say why or how Decipher would have lost the RPG license?

Last I heard there are plenty books already out. FotR and TTT Sourcebooks, Fell Beasts and Wondrous Magic, the Moria Box, the GM Screen, Maps of ME volumes 1 and 2... is there anything else already out, by the way?

I sure hope this is just a rumour, though!
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    <div align="center"><center><table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolor="#000080"><tr><td><center><br><font face=verdana><font color="#000080"><font size="2">I am</font><br><font size=8><font face=symbol>p</font></font><br><br><font size=2>Everyone loves pi</font></font><br><font color="#FFFFFF">_</font></font></td></tr></table></center></div><br><center><font face=verdana><font size=2><a href="http://www.geocities.com/eyecanspy/numberquiz">what number are you?</a></font><font size=1><br><br>this quiz by <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/orsa">orsa</a></font></font></center>

Me too. They are also saying bad things about Decipher too.

Maybe Doug could give us some answers soon.

Actually, they are only ranting. Just like us, they're angry for the late coming products.

None of them even gave reasons why would that occur. But I think they're mistaken. Decipher's slow release is based (I think) in the leaving of 2 game researchers. That's my shoot in the dark, anyway.

Worry yourself not, and do not read anymore of that. The official board is full of that in the moment...

Cheers,

Helegond

PS.: Novaes, tu mora onde? Sou do Brasil, Rio de Janeiro também!
    I am the breeze
    the bringer of rest and ease
    I am the wind
    the forgiver of those who've sinned
    I am the storm
    I blow the devil's horn
    I am the fire
    the source of lust and desire
    I am the sun
    the joining has begun
    I am your fate
    the guardian at the gate
    I am death and <b>I claim your final breath!</b>

Re: Lord Of The Rings RPG Status

Originally posted by Troy_Of_Borg
    There alot of people going off on Decipher's Lord Of The Rings RPG Message Board. Saying that Decipher lost the rights to Lord Of The Rings.
    Like Public Enemy said, "Don't believe the hype."

The rumor mill is highly active at the moment, but they're just rumors. I haven't heard a single thing from any reliable source that indicates Decipher has lost the LOTR license.

There appears to have been some sort of distribution or manufacturing issue with the recent LOTR books (and the Trek books for that matter) which is probably giving a lot of fans the impression that the games are dead.

I can lay that rumor to rest right here, Troy. Decipher (to my knowledge) has not lost the license for Lord of the Rings. Whoever said so is either creating the rumor out of whole cloth or just passing on bogus information they heard somewhere else.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Originally posted by Helegond
    PS.: Novaes, tu mora onde? Sou do Brasil, Rio de Janeiro também!
    Ok, folks, sorry for the thread hijacking! It will take just a sec...

Fala, Helegond!

Sou de Jacarepaguá e trabalho em Botafogo. Reparei só agora que você é daqui (deixei até uma mensagem pra ti lá no Tomes of the Wise).

Tô começando uma campanha nova de SdA por agora. Querendo trocar uma idéia, escreva pra este endereço.

Abração,
    Daniel, "Captain Novaes"

Back to our regular schedule now
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    <div align="center"><center><table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolor="#000080"><tr><td><center><br><font face=verdana><font color="#000080"><font size="2">I am</font><br><font size=8><font face=symbol>p</font></font><br><br><font size=2>Everyone loves pi</font></font><br><font color="#FFFFFF">_</font></font></td></tr></table></center></div><br><center><font face=verdana><font size=2><a href="http://www.geocities.com/eyecanspy/numberquiz">what number are you?</a></font><font size=1><br><br>this quiz by <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/orsa">orsa</a></font></font></center>

A small part of me wishes it were true...

I'm sorry, but I think that Decipher is falling into the same whirlpool that caused the death of LUG. Although WotC still owns LUG, without a product (aka Star Trek), its a dead entity. Now I'm not trying to start a rant here, but I'm beginning to feel that maybe Paramount shouldn't have been so quick to switch licenses.

As far as LOTR RPG is concerned, all I can say is WOW. About the only complaint I have about it is how characters are created....I don't have it (the core rulebook) at all and it took me 3 hours to finish the character, partly due to the fact that everyone else in the group hadn't played the game yet. Other than that, I think that it is a well written book, capturing the feel of the novels and the films perfectly.
    "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."
    -Chang (ST VI)

Re: Re: Lord Of The Rings RPG Status

Originally posted by Ineti
    I haven't heard a single thing from any reliable source that indicates Decipher has lost the LOTR license.
    This is part of the problem. No one is talking. Doug Burke does try to get as much out as he can, but this only amounts to damage control. Why has there not been more disclosure from the company? If Dec is having problems getting the products out on the streets then say so, you won't get flamed. More then likely you will be thanked. The way things are going it looks like Dec doesn't really care about the consumer. Other companies keep the consumers up to date (AEG is great for this, but they don't have to...they keep to their schedules) why not you guys?

Re: Re: Re: Lord Of The Rings RPG Status

Originally posted by Phantom
    This is part of the problem. No one is talking. Doug Burke does try to get as much out as he can, but this only amounts to damage control. Why has there not been more disclosure from the company? If Dec is having problems getting the products out on the streets then say so, you won't get flamed. More then likely you will be thanked. The way things are going it looks like Dec doesn't really care about the consumer. Other companies keep the consumers up to date (AEG is great for this, but they don't have to...they keep to their schedules) why not you guys?

Well, we really need to remember that Decipher is a CCG company first and foremost. The entire rpg market is really a new animal to them. Mistakes will be made no doubt about it. I would rather them be slow about it than never come out with the new material at all. I'm sure things are in the works as we speak to rectify this problem. The rpg market is a lot more demanding for site updates, adventures and a constant flow of books. I really do believe they understand this now and will act acccordlingly.

John

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lord Of The Rings RPG Status

Originally posted by Black Adam
    Well, we really need to remember that Decipher is a CCG company first and foremost. . . .

John
    And before that, they were primarily a parlor game company most known for the "How To Host A Mystery" series.

BTW, Welcome! And also: Cool forum moniker! -- Black Adam was always one of my favorite comic book villains. . . right up there with Professor Zoom (aka The Reverse Flash)
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lord Of The Rings RPG Status

Originally posted by Ezri's Toy
    And before that, they were primarily a parlor game company most known for the "How To Host A Mystery" series.

BTW, Welcome! And also: Cool forum moniker! -- Black Adam was always one of my favorite comic book villains. . . right up there with Professor Zoom (aka The Reverse Flash)

Thank you. I just wish I would have found this place sooner. I like the coda system pretty much. I played in my first game last weekend for LOTR. It's not half bad. Plus the two license that decipher holds I really dig as well. I'm a really big fan of the Marvels and Black Adam. I'm a big speedster fan too. The recent run Zoom had in Flash was pretty kewl too.

John

Everything I have heard is that the problem is simple resource allotment.

Decipher's main money-making lines are the CCGs, by a considerable magnitude.

Publishing RPGs doesn't make the money that CCGs do - and when they are more financially able to, the RPG line will once more benefit from regular product releases.

There are somewhere between 6 and 8 products, already finished, through playtesting, and in various states of layout and production completion.

Decipher hasn't let their RPG staff go (at least, as far as I know as of today), and I presume that work goes on on the new projects. I can say that the playtesting is still going on even as I type this.

I can't say with any certainty that the line will continue (I don't work for D and am not privy to their inside business management), but from what I can gather, the RPG line has not been shut down, the license has not been revoked, and the holdup isn't in approvals or anything like that.

Remember that Decipher quite recently announced a Matrix CCG line (which was then downgraded to being a collectible non-game trading card set), then cancelled it outright. I can't imagine how this could have failed to have a negative financial influence on the company, given the resources required for such a project and the expected income which never happened.