Thread: Star Trek: The Motion Picture circa 2001

Thumbs up Star Trek: The Motion Picture circa 2001

Wandering through /. this evening and I came across this link http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues...-08/stuff.html
    It seems that Robert Wise has redone ST:TMP for DVD and possibly home video release. From the sounds of it there is no new footage (well maybe a bit), and no reworking ala SW re-release.

Hopefully it will be the movie that it should have been.

------------------
    The pain, the pain. I think a neuron
    just short circuited. *thud*

From what I've heard from my source at Foundation Imaging, there is at least some new footage - I've seen an image of the Enterprise done by FI, and it's pretty damned good! Also, they're restoring the Memory Wall sequence and inserting opticals left out of the inserted footage from the VHS release (like the roof of the airlock and the ship hill from Kirk's spacewalk sequence). No word if they're correcting the early suits to the final version, another problem with the old VHS version...

Originally posted by Owen E Oulton:
    From what I've heard from my source at Foundation Imaging, there is at least some new footage - I've seen an image of the Enterprise done by FI, and it's pretty damned good!
    There is a lot of reworking of the opticals, including digital cleanup of existing footage and entirely new footage using Foundation's Lightwave model of the Enterprise.

Some of that new footage is actually drawn from original storyboards, in sequences for which there wasn't time to do the elaborate versions and simplified opticals were done instead.

I saw some of the rough footage last September, when I visited FI. Even then, it looked fabulous.

But...

Also, they're restoring the Memory Wall sequence and inserting opticals left out of the inserted footage from the VHS release (like the roof of the airlock and the ship hill from Kirk's spacewalk sequence). No word if they're correcting the early suits to the final version, another problem with the old VHS version...
    Almost every source I've dealt with is now saying that the Memory Wall footage is not on the list of things to be restored.

I wonder which is accurate...

Best,
    Alex