Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG Status

Originally posted by Capt. Anderson
    IMHO, CODA seemed to have a fine balance between techincal and cinematic style that my players really enjoy.
    Yet your going to ditch it in order to make a statement...that Decipher will never hear?

It boggles my mind to literally toss away a perfectly good game--or to label something "dead"--just because production has halted. (And, in this case, we don't know that for a fact.)

Excuse me, I'm off to play my weekly game of unsupported Fading Suns (the books come out less frequently than Decipher) or there's talk of starting up a new spy game w/ Top Secret/S.I. that TSR (those bastards! ) stopped supporting.

Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

I couldn't agree with you more Don. It kills me how quickly people jump ship just because a company stops supporting the game. With both Star Trek and Lord of the Rings there is all the support material (existing game material, and general writting in the settings) you would ever need to run. Weather or not Decipher bows out of production of the games, the games can live as long as there are player there to use the system.

mcb
    Matthew Birch
    mcb8@po.cwru.edu

Originally posted by Capt. Anderson
    If this is the end for ST RPG for decipher, I'm going to stop playing and sell all my books on e-bay. I refuse to play game system that is not supported by it's producer. I've about had it with ST moving from game system to game system. IMHO, CODA seemed to have a fine balance between techincal and cinematic style that my players really enjoy.
    Its not over till Decipher says it is. They still have the licenses and they still have the manuscripts i believe....

"Decipher still has all the licenses it had last week. They didn't announce that they were canceling the lines, which is what makes me think they're going to take the dozen+ books they had finished, and print them."

-M. Colville

[this quote is my ray of light]

Some of the posters on this board have alluded that they might be going the freelance route, like WOTC to cite an example.

That would be most excellent if that was to happen. I hate to see a "very" good thing go to waste.
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. -- Mark Twain

Don, you took the worrds right out of my mouth.

Capt. Anderson, you are mad. Why throw away a game that your players enjoy. Keep playing it.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Smile

I agree with the above post. Even though things look a little messed up right now, Decipher is yet to post a message stating that the run of new material is done for Star Trek. I have to believe that no news is good new since there is no point in worrying about something that is out of our control. The books had been at least approved(thus the advertising for the books in Communicator), so maybe once the smoke clears, the books will at least be made. Let's hope that happens, if Decipher chooses to cancel making the books after the next four, I could accept that as long as the product gets passed along to someone who is willing to carry the torch.
    live long and prosper

The irony is that, last night, we decided to start a Coda LoTR game. We're all really jazzed about it.

Dead my ass.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Too true, Don. There are many great fans online contributing stuff to the LOTR RPG (and the Trek RPG), and I don't see either game dying any time soon, whether Decipher pulls the plug or not.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Ineti
    Too true, Don. There are many great fans online contributing stuff to the LOTR RPG (and the Trek RPG), and I don't see either game dying any time soon, whether Decipher pulls the plug or not.
    Hey, FASA Trek lasted all the way up 'til LUG published the TNG game....there's nothing saying that Coda Trek (which is superior in many ways to the FASA system) won't do the same thing if Decipher stops producing it. I know, for a fact, that Coda Trek is now my default Trek system until something better comes along.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

While I would welcome new interesting material from Decipher, and probably buy much of it, I can (and will) continue my game even if they shut their doors tomorrow.

They've given me the basic framework that I need.

If necessary, I can flesh it out.

Of course, I benefit from being something of a Trek geek, which means I can do a better job on that game without a lot of source material than I could on, say, LoTR (because I'm far less familiar with Tolkein's world).

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    I know, for a fact, that Coda Trek is now my default Trek system until something better comes along.
    Just reread that....it sounds like Mrs. Slocumb...

"I am unanimous in that!"

*bait JonA*
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Did the remaining Decipher employees learn anything about RPGs from the employees they've parted with?

After I get my hands on Worlds, I'll be happy

CODA is one of the best systems I've played or run. I really hope those books get published.
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

Originally posted by Rayaru
    After I get my hands on Worlds, I'll be happy

CODA is one of the best systems I've played or run. I really hope those books get published.
    Amen!
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. -- Mark Twain

15. Even though I've just recently entered the world of the CODA system, I find that I must agree with the sentiments expressed here. Even if this is the end of official support, the game will live on for as long as the fan base stays loyal to it. There is both no shortage of material to use from the established canon as well as many scenarios that fans have made themselves, all of them being well suited to this type of system.

Just as fans helped to keep the LUGTrek system alive until CODA was released, we can do this, as well, even if there is no follow-up system in the works. We can and will fight to keep it alive, as has been demonstrated in the past.
    Cdr. Aitrus Colso
    USS Philadelphia, FF-6053

<a href="http://www.federationspace-rpg.net">Federation Space</a>
    Where New Legends Are Born