Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG Status

I guess I must be a real goose, 'cos I just started a new Star Wars campaign...using WEG's D6 rules!

Talk about "officially unsupported"...yet there's a tonne of stuff out there!
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Talk about "officially unsupported"...yet there's a tonne of stuff out there!
    And for most games you don't need supplemental material anyway... at least the well designed games.

Most of the games I love are pretty complete in one book - CODA is good to go after have 2 books. Aliens, Starships, and Creatures are useful but hardly essential to running a game. All the building blocks of CODATrek are pretty much laid out in the Players and Narrators Guides.

Besides, all games come to an end. Heck, after 13 years Vampire, the game I thought White Wolf would drag out forever, is ending. I don't expect everyone to stop playing Vampire: The Masquerade.

I am not fan of Decipher's business practises but honestly, even if "DecTrek" is dead, I am going to still use my books, just as I will use my LUGTrek books that came before...
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

Originally posted by prophetsteve

Besides, all games come to an end. Heck, after 13 years Vampire, the game I thought White Wolf would drag out forever, is ending. I don't expect everyone to stop playing Vampire: The Masquerade.
    Yes, but WW is going to re-establishing their sereis of games from the ground up in the near future. Not something I agree with, but at least it will be a fully supported line.

Arrow

I am not fan of Decipher's business practises but honestly, even if "DecTrek" is dead, I am going to still use my books, just as I will use my LUGTrek books that came before...
    My group still use LUGTrek books. Every month, I keep saying to myself I should pick up CODATrek. Still didn't.

I'm sure most who continues to play FASATrek have ignored LUGTrek and CODATrek.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Heck, WW killed my two favorite games that they published years ago (that would be Aberrant and Trinity, by the way), but that hasn't kept me from putting together some pretty good games.

Yes, it will be quite disappointing not to get the promised future products, but it has absolutely no impact on the value of the stuff already in our hands.

-Chris Landmark
    "Was entstanden ist, das muss vergehen. Was vergangen, auferstehn." -Klopstock & Mahler

"Only liberals really think. Only liberals are intellectual. Only liberals understand the needs of their fellows." How much viciousness lay concealed in that word! Odrade thought. How much secret ego demanding to feel superior. - Heretics of Dune

Even with the releases of the China/Ministry and Sudamerica/Norca materials in PDF format, there was still a lot more Trinity stuff which could have been done. At least Aberrant had covered all the major factions (and more than a few minor ones).
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

I just thought I'd repeat myself here, for folks who aren't reading the other game thread in General Chat...

I'll tell you about the "no new books = game is bad" crowd, at least from my POV...

I run my own version of a Star Trek RPG. I have since the days of FASA. It is very NON-numbers-intensive. My players rarely roll to accomplish anything.

What this means is, I rarely need the "game mechanics" books. In fact, I'd say the only real reason I have to buy those books is so that I can better understand and adapt the supplements to MY game.

See, for me, all the "character creation" stuff has already been done. And conversion between systems, once someone's worked that out, is not extremely difficult.

What's difficult is creating the details of the universe you're playing in. That's time consuming, and I have neither the time nor the inclination. I've created four species of my own for the (apparently defunct) online sourcebook that was being worked on, and for my own game, and it's a proccess I have no great desire to revisit.

I don't have the time or the energy to create my own Mirror Universe, Klingon, Dominion, or Borg books. That's WHY I want them. I bought the earlier books on the assumption that there would, in fact, be followup books that I'd actually find useful.* Therefore a threat to those books is upsetting.

To be perfectly honest, if, originally, Dec. had come out and said "we're doing a PG, and NG, and a couple of sourcebooks, and that's it" It's likely I'd have avoided the series entirely, just like some of the ICON players who never switched to CODA.

*This is not to say that I haven't found the existing books useful. I have, and I'm glad I bought them. It was nice to finally have some background for my Deltan player, even if the detail wasn't extremely high.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

<shrug> Got all the stuff necessary to play the game. If it dies, it dies; just glad I didn't pre-pay for any of the material.

Besides, the Mongoose Babylon 5 stuff is pretty bloody good; may have to run -- d20 or no.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I'd love to get the new sourcebooks, but I really don't need 'em. As long as I have a basic rule set I can pretty much wing the rest.

Heck, most of the time I wing my adventures. Give me a few generic NPCs, and maybe a few generic maps, and I'm happy.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by qerlin
    Got all the stuff necessary to play the game.
    My thought exactly.

Besides, the Mongoose Babylon 5 stuff is pretty bloody good; may have to run -- d20 or no.
    I would rather do a CODA conversion, personally, although adding the Prior History rules from Traveller and the hitpoint-free damage rules from Mutants & Masterminds and would do much to improve the game's potential.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

As a parent of an active toddler I understand the time constraints of those who want to see more books published.

I'd like to think that most of us are creative folks. However, it is certainly true that there are those who don't have the time to design everything or make everything up, despite a desire to do so.

This could lead one to choose a game more supported than other games. For example, one with minimal free time might choose to run a Call of Cthulhu or Dungeons and Dragons game - both have lots of supplements and, more importantly for some, lots of premade adventures. This allows one to enjoy a hobby without spending hours in front of a blank paper or computer screen. Therefore I do get the frustration of those who want more material for a game which was supposed to have greater support.

Mind you there's really no one here to direct such frustration to....
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Originally posted by RaconteurX
    I would rather do a CODA conversion, personally, ...
    Same here. Figure to try a test game soon (haven't used d20 in years ). If it works well, great; otherwise, I was planning a CODA B5...I just don't want to do the extra work on the ships and weapons, etc...
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Even with a lot of free time to prepare my games, I wish I had more pre-made stuff. It would allow me to spend more time making subplots for my PCs, work on better stories etc. etc. I hate having to find pictures of ships and designing new species. My players want to play in the ENT era and so far DECIPHER didn't give so many ships for it (I finally bought Starships, and loved it, but the 22nd Century ships are rare and I have to prepare mine).

Fortunately there is this forum.

A friend of mine is doing up a version of Babylon 5 in the Hero system.

<shrug> Got all the stuff necessary to play the game. If it dies, it dies; just glad I didn't pre-pay for any of the material.

It's good? That's good to hear. I was thinking about it, but the main game book is so frelling expensive that I'd go through that whole buyer's remorse thing.