Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG Status

As someone else said, the fact that they "threw us a bone" with the on-line adventures is a good sign. Now, they have less than two weeks to post that revised release schedule that they promised for March.

If they drop the ball on something as simple as that, I may just give up on the game altogether and retire my Trek-RPG.net handle. . . .
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have a feeling that they're going to point to yesterday's "update" as fulfillment of this month's refurbishing of the Trek products page situation.

As Don indicated in a previous post, the Decipher upper-echelon is now likely juggling how much they stand to lose/gain from any further publication. As has been said in another popular s.f. franchise, "I've got a bad feeling about this..."

P.S.: Don! Like the blog!

Thumbs up

Originally posted by D.S.McBride
    P.S.: Don! Like the blog!
    Thanks! Put the resumé online tonight. It's sweet!
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by InfinityDoctor
    You mean like we're up to our armpits in Star Wars D20 Books??

Star Wars is probably the biggest Sci Fi licence alongside Star Trek, and WOTC are only producing three books for the game this year! Hardly a deluge, and they didnt exactly overload us with material last year either.
    Just to continue the slightly OT rambling... big or not, WotC's contract w/Lucas is for no less than 3 and no more than 5 SW RPG products a year, so they couldn't deluge us if they wanted to. I'm not sure if the new mini's game will be included in that this year or not.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

I'm not sure how valuable it is to point to another company and speculate that they could have done it better.

The fact is, Decipher isn't publishing, and that's really all we know. Might WoTC have published more books? Maybe. But you'd also have to consider the quality, and that's a whole 'nother realm of speculation.

Arrow

Sighs. To be brutally honest, I don't know how long my patience will last for Decipher. I mean, I am beginning to experience a sense of Deja Vu. Remember TSR? Of course, for TSR, everything went crashing down: RPG, Spellfire card game, Dragon Dice, everything.

But Decipher's TCG business is still ongoing. I just hope they have something to say regarding their RPG status at the GTS 2004 at Las Vegas.

BTW, did they canceled or postponed their breakfast meeting this morning at GTS?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by REG
    BTW, did they canceled or postponed their breakfast meeting this morning at GTS?
    Technically cancelled, I suppose. Upper Deck sponsored in their place.

They've already issued a "no comment" on the RPGs at GTS.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Well, I can say this: I've been hopeful for quite a while but my patience is now wearing thin. With the "no comment" thing now evident, my expectations have been considerably lowered. I will be most surprised to see anything at the end of the next two weeks.

If, in the end, the Star Trek RPG line is cancelled, I will cease buying Decipher products altogether.

/me on phone: Hello, Alderac ? I understand you're looking for customers for your Stargate SG-1 line. Well, Decipher cancelled the Star Trek line and my money's freed up. . . .

Originally posted by Ezri's Toy
    If, in the end, the Star Trek RPG line is cancelled, I will cease buying Decipher products altogether.[/I]
    Well, since ST-RPG are the only Decipher products I've ever bought, that's kind of a no-brainer for me

Originally posted by P'l
    Well, since ST-RPG are the only Decipher products I've ever bought, that's kind of a no-brainer for me
    I bought a number of the LOTR RPG books as well, and had hoped they would release a Return of the King sourcebook before going T**s-up.

Fire at Will!

Zzzzaaap!

Riker's Dead, Sir!

I wonder just how many RPGers buy Decipher'S CCGs? Is ther a lot of overlap? Would many people stop buying CCGs because of the loss of the RPG line?

I suspect that if Decipher does cancel thier RPG lines, sales of the CCGs will be unaffected.

Originally posted by tonyg
    I wonder just how many RPGers buy Decipher'S CCGs? Is ther a lot of overlap? Would many people stop buying CCGs because of the loss of the RPG line?

I suspect that if Decipher does cancel thier RPG lines, sales of the CCGs will be unaffected.
    I don't play the CCGs, but if I did, no, I wouldn't stop buying them just because the rpgs were canned. If you enjoy playing the card games its just silly to deprive yourself of that fun as some kind of empty protest.

If the game lines are dead (and its looking that way), just let them go. And if you're playing the card games, carry on and have fun.

Originally posted by InfinityDoctor
    I don't play the CCGs, but if I did, no, I wouldn't stop buying them just because the rpgs were canned. If you enjoy playing the card games its just silly to deprive yourself of that fun as some kind of empty protest.

If the game lines are dead (and its looking that way), just let them go. And if you're playing the card games, carry on and have fun.
    In other words, continue to reward a company with your hard-earned money even though they aren't serving your needs as a customer ?

The most effective way to protest against a company is with your wallet. Zip it closed until they serve your demands as a customer. That kind of protest can hardly be considered "empty."

Originally posted by tonyg
    With my purely anecdotal evidence (three conventions working the Decipher booth and interacting with customers), there is a very small minority who play both the CCG and the RPG. Of those that did play both, the CCG was obviously their priority.

Loss of the RPGs would likely have no discernable affect on CCG sales.

BTW, this holds true for LotR as well; very little crossover.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Originally posted by Ezri's Toy
    In other words, continue to reward a company with your hard-earned money even though they aren't serving your needs as a customer ?

The most effective way to protest against a company is with your wallet. Zip it closed until they serve your demands as a customer. That kind of protest can hardly be considered "empty."
    Unfortunately, I'm a realist. I know full well that the protest would be empty because the games are in trouble in the first place.

They clearly didn't sell well enough to keep the lines afloat.

So, as a purchaser of the rpg, do you honestly think your boycott of the card games would make a blind bit of difference? Would it bring in hundreds of new players eager to purchase the books and revive a flagging line?

All I'm saying is, since you can't save the games in the first place, but you enjoy the card games, whats the point of trying to punish both yourself and Decipher by stopping doing something you enjoy?