Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Star Trek RPG Status

Cool Got some news...

http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=12377

Three to four more weeks...not bad, but this is better:
    http://www.gamersattic.com/
    Look at #1 on the 'Bestsellers' list (down and to the left)...
    Now THAT'S good news (and if Decipher hears about it...*Hint, Hint*)
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Ezri's Toy
    In other words, continue to reward a company with your hard-earned money even though they aren't serving your needs as a customer ?

The most effective way to protest against a company is with your wallet. Zip it closed until they serve your demands as a customer. That kind of protest can hardly be considered "empty."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No offense, but that is plain silly. NOT buying their products is WHY they cancel them. If you want the line to continue, encourage other people to BUY. You need to give them a reason to print more books. RPG companies are a business. It is simply a numbers game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Decipher (and LUG before it) have published quality Star Trek RPG books. They listen to (for the most part) their customers and give us great products. Then, people don't buy them. Gaming groups buy one Player's Guide and share it (nothing wrong with that btw, just cuts down on sales), people make copies of sourcebooks and/or download illegal copies.

So, if Decipher printed say... 10,000 books (and PAID their printers, designers, marketing, and a slew of others for these) then sold only half of them, they are in trouble. So they begin to trim back their planned line and staff to try and recoup their money. They are STILL trying to keep the RPG alive. Give them some slack.

If you really want the line to continue, help encourage people to buy the books. Send them encouraging, constructive emails to sales/R&D/cust service to let them know people DO want more products and will buy them. THAT is how you get what you want.

Indeed it is good news, but as Don - here - and someone on RPG.net mentioned (ex-LUG/Decipher employee, if I recall correctly), there was never any question that DecipherTrek sold well; the point was that they wanted it to sell fantastically, they wanted it to sell awesome, they wanted to beat WotC at their own game. Needless to say, the chances of that happening were slim at best...and when the numbers weren't what they were expecting, they shut the operation down.

I'm sticking with my original prediction: chances of Worlds getting released? Roughly fifty-fifty. The other half-dozen or so works? Slim to none. Unfortunate, but Decipher has proven conclusively that - when it comes to the RPGs - they simply don't have the focus and interest to sustain any consistent production and publication.

Arrow

Well, if Decipher wanted to beat WotC in the RPG market, they should have acquired D&D from the financially dead TSR.

I mean, let's face it. Of all the RPGs out there, D&D, the grandaddy of all RPGs, is still on top, with a very large fan base. Even WotC acknowledged that, especially among their other RPG products (including Star Wars). Even when the RPG industry is taking a big hit right now, being dominated by TCG (blech!) and Minis (clicky or not), D&D is still selling above the other RPGs.

I think instead of setting that high a goal of beating WotC -- which I doubt Decipher's upper management would have such a silly notion (yes, I'm giving them due credit for not being THAT stupid) -- they should try and establish their name in the RPG market first, and then build from there.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

If you want to beat the other guy in the American market, a company needs to cut cost when they can. Cheaper and faster is the way to go.
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. -- Mark Twain

You do know that also means getting rid of veteran employees with higher salary for fresh employees with starting scale, right?

Then again, they've already lost Steve Long, Kenneth Hite, Ross A Isaacs, ... I don't know if Christian Moore have left.

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Originally posted by REG
    Then again, they've already lost Steve Long, Kenneth Hite, Ross A Isaacs, ... I don't know if Christian Moore have left.
    Christian Moore and Owen Seyler left to work at Score (?) or Upper Deck (?) last year, leaving Matt in charge. That pretty much was the beginning of the end. Decipher "lost" Steve and Ken only insomuch that they left of their own accord to work on other things. (Steve to run Hero and Ken to work at SJG.) Matt later left for a better job in the computer game industry and is very happy.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Arrow

Wow!

That pretty much account for most of the people we know who made up of the LUG staff.

So ... who do we have left that is running the studio?

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

Originally posted by REG
    Wow!

That pretty much account for most of the people we know who made up of the LUG staff.

So ... who do we have left that is running the studio?
    What studio? It's gone! (Points to thread.)
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Unhappy

Oh, right. Sorry.

-- Monte Cook

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan