Thread: Wights and Spells?

Wights and Spells?

Hi

My first posting here, and my first time as Narrator in LotR was yesterday.. So a question..

It says that a Barrow-Wight "need not make Stamina tests to cast spells". In tha case, could a wight then cast for example 2 spells during a round, and if he would like, he could even cast more spells as you can always take more actions than the 2 basic, but you always receive a +5 TN in that case.

Though for a wight that do not need to make a Stamina test, would not make any roll, and therefore the increased TN do not appliy to him.

So, in theory a wight can cast how many spells as he wants, 2, 4, 6, 8 etc cause he not need to make a test. Ok, using the optional rule, only 2 more actions can be made except the normal 2, in that case he has 4 actions = 4 spells (costing 1 action) is, this a mistake or do I read the rules wrongly?

Yuck

Yeah, I assume you're right. However, as a Gamemaster, I would limit the number of spells cast per round by the Wight. Otherwise, it would be nearly unstoppable!

And welcome to the boards!
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    <div align="center"><center><table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolor="#000080"><tr><td><center><br><font face=verdana><font color="#000080"><font size="2">I am</font><br><font size=8><font face=symbol>p</font></font><br><br><font size=2>Everyone loves pi</font></font><br><font color="#FFFFFF">_</font></font></td></tr></table></center></div><br><center><font face=verdana><font size=2><a href="http://www.geocities.com/eyecanspy/numberquiz">what number are you?</a></font><font size=1><br><br>this quiz by <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/orsa">orsa</a></font></font></center>

I agree with the Captain, as a rule I only allow one spell to be cast in a round for players or enemies. I think the Wight being able to cast spells every round by itself is a terror.

And welcome to the boards.
    Scott Llewelyn

I said as much on the Decipher boards, but giving the wight that much of an advantage, plus the extra actions, is just overkill, IMO. If you're a Narrator looking to nuke your party, go for it, but otherwise, I'd limit the wight to the standard two actions a round. That should be challenge enough.

Actions beyond 2 (which incur a -5 cumulative penalty) may NOT be used for actions that do not require a test. You can't take an unlimited number of move actions for example.

I'm am not familiar with any rule that specifically limits the number of spells you can cast in a round, so the wight could only cast twice IMO.

Originally posted by MightyCthulhu
    Actions beyond 2 (which incur a -5 cumulative penalty) may NOT be used for actions that do not require a test. You can't take an unlimited number of move actions for example.
    Hmm! That clears quite a bit of my confusion about taking extra actions! Could you please direct me to the page where this rule is stated? I went through the Movement in Combat and possibly missed this one.
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    <div align="center"><center><table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="200" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" bordercolor="#000080"><tr><td><center><br><font face=verdana><font color="#000080"><font size="2">I am</font><br><font size=8><font face=symbol>p</font></font><br><br><font size=2>Everyone loves pi</font></font><br><font color="#FFFFFF">_</font></font></td></tr></table></center></div><br><center><font face=verdana><font size=2><a href="http://www.geocities.com/eyecanspy/numberquiz">what number are you?</a></font><font size=1><br><br>this quiz by <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/users/orsa">orsa</a></font></font></center>

I don't think there's something on the officials document saying about multiple actions that don't require tests.

What I do know is (by the book, I think) when you take multiple actions, that don't require tests, you MAKE a test. Like...you need to walk to your friend. But you have already attacked twice this turn, so you suffer a -5 penalty. But walk doesn't require tests, so...what to do? A TN 5 test. The problem is that I don't seem to recall where I saw that...

And I must say...I don't like characters taking many more actions than the normal allowance.

Cheers,

Helegond
    I am the breeze
    the bringer of rest and ease
    I am the wind
    the forgiver of those who've sinned
    I am the storm
    I blow the devil's horn
    I am the fire
    the source of lust and desire
    I am the sun
    the joining has begun
    I am your fate
    the guardian at the gate
    I am death and <b>I claim your final breath!</b>

I think it's a logic thing. I don't have the book in front of me, but it makes sense that if extra actions have a -5 penalty, the extra actions have to be used on something that requires a test. You normally don't have to test to make a move action, so I wouldn't allow an extra action to be used for a move.

Of course, I don't let my PCs take extra actions anyhow (except for parries and dodges), so it doesn't matter.

from the FAQ:
    Page 216: Q: I understand that actions past the standard allowance (typically 2) incur a penalty to
    the test. What happens if additional actions don't require tests, such as Aim and Reload?
    A: When "no test" actions are taken as additional additional actions, they require tests where they
    otherwise would not. Assume a base TN 5 and apply the listed penalties from there.

This has been bothering me as well. I decided as a house rule, that I would still make those creatures with undead stamina (i.e. they don't have to make stamina tests for spells) that they just don't suffer any effects from failed spells. They still have to make the test, however. My rationale basically is, if the have a stamina reaction, they have to use it for something, otherwise, it should just be N/A. Comments, reactions, anything would be good.

Question Unlimited Movement Actions

I thought there was a rule floating around that prevented a character from using more than two actions on movement in a round, but I can't find it now.

Am I high?
    Jeff Tidball, Civilian | <a href="mailto:jeff@jefftidball.com">jeff@jefftidbal l.com</a> | <a href="http://www.jefftidball.com">www.jefftidball.com</a>