Thread: Conformism

Conformism

I know I do not actually ask for homework help, but help on this would be most appreciated.

I have a speech to give on Conformism and how Hollywood is warping some of the kids minds into believing in something just to be "cool". I plan on performing a survey with some of my friends and was wondering whether the questions I have will do a good job in illustrating my point. Also if you have any extra questions that you think would be good, fire away!

1) Do you watch movies? If so how many per year(an estimate)?
    2) How much do you read? How many books per year?
    3) How much do you know about Politics?
    4) What is your current opinion on the United States Government with the War in Iraq?
    5) Where do you get fashion ideas from?
    6) Why do you wear the clothes that you do?
    7) Where are you morals derived from?
    8) What fads have you engaged in, in the last five years?
    9) What do you think of the recall with Governor Davis?
    10) Do you have any idols?
    11) How do you emulate them?

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    1. Good.

2. Good.

3. This question is too open ended, and may not give you the kind of answers you're looking for. A better question might be something more specific to the upcoming election, as in "if you could vote, which candidate would you vote for in the upcoming election?"

4. Good.

5. This question is answered in Question 6, which should give you the kinds of answers you want with this one.

6. Good.

7. Maybe you should rephrase this, as in something like: "Who or what are your greatest influences when you make moral decisions?"

8. Decent question, although the respondents may not consider their favorite activities to be "fads." I also look at the question and think that a few might actually be offended by the insinuation that they're participating in a "fad," which many times has negative connotations associated with the word.

You should consider rephrasing the question at the very least.

9. Good.

10. Perhaps rephrase as "Who are your idols?" The way you asked it is just a yes/no question; you should want to also know who the respondents idolize, which would give you more insight into their answers to Question 11.

11. Good.

I hope that helps a bit.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Thank ST for the help. I need an objective point of view on that one.

Question

so what exactly is hollywood telling kids about what's cool or not

Educators are actually wasting kids' time on this?

God (or Vishnu or Homer or whomever) help us.

LQ

P.S. Sorry, I don't intend to sound mean, but aren't there more significant things to learn about -- perhaps, maybe, the U.S. government's (ahem) influence in Nicaragua?

Last edited by Liquidator Queeg; 01-05-2004 at 11:13 PM.
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

Originally posted by Liquidator Queeg
    Educators are actually wasting kids' time on this?

God (or Vishnu or Homer or whomever) help us.

LQ

P.S. Sorry, I don't intend to sound mean, but aren't there more significant things to learn about -- perhaps, maybe, the U.S. government's (ahem) influence in Nicaragua?
    Whether something is a waste of time depends on the objective of the course, don't you think ? For example, it could be a Speech or Debate class. If this is the case, the objective isn't knowledge of the topic itself but the development of the student's public speaking / debate skills.

In any case, considering the narrow focus of corporate-media and how our society is saturated with it, how the media influences the thinking of teens and young adults is very relevant. (Perhaps media -- all media and not just Hollywood -- should be the focus of the assignment in question. )
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

You are, of course, correct, Ezri. Had I been less quick and snarky, I would have thought through my response. But that's what hollow popular media with no cogent substance does to you.

Me go eat humble donuts now.

LQ
    Drunken DM and the Speak with Dead spell: "No, I'm not the limed-over skeleton of the abbot, and no this special key in my boney fingers does not open the door to the secret treasury! ... Oh crap."

I'll let you know what I think as soon as they tell me. . .

Its not my fault I had this topic. LOL, its actually is for a debate class and I was unfortunately assigned to this topic. No one shoot the messenger.

When you're ready, I'll tell you what you should be thinking.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Nobody tells me what to think. Not as long as the tin foil is secure under my hat.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1