Thread: Intimidate (Fear) in Combat

Intimidate (Fear) in Combat

Hi,

I'm finally about to begin my first chronicle and had a question about the use of this skill in combat.

In the skill's description, it tells of the skill's action cost and possible results. In the section on Fear (pg.233) different results are given based on the degrees of success. Now, I'm leaning towards using the effects as shown on Table 9.19 for Intimidate (Fear) during combat as I think them to be much more dramatic than the simple +1's or so given in the skill description.

How does everyone incorporate this skill into their game? Thoughts? Opinions?

Southeast Kansas (40 feet from the middle of Nowhere)
    If one of my characters attempt to use the Intimidate skill, I actually make them act it out, depending on what specialty they use. For example, my nephew was playing an Elven archer and had come across a cast iron frying pan during some close-quarters-battle and proceeded to use it as a weapon. In the course of the fight, he managed to bludgeon several orcs and Uruks to death. I actually had him stand in the middle of the kitchen brandishing one of my skillets!!

As for the test results, I use the table as a guide, but then also add some bonuses based on how well he "intimidated" me with my own skillet. At one point, I gave him a +5 Armed Combat bonus to the next orc he attacked with the frying pan after said orc had witnessed him braining an Uruk-Hai captain with it. He loved it. After the campaign was finished, he actually spent some of his money to have the frying pan bronzed!

You could add some bonuses for combat, like the one above, or award initiative over anyone who witnessed the intimidation, or, in extremely well played cases, even an extra action for the round.

For further details, check out the "Chronicle Plot" thread in the "Tomes of the Wise" and look for "Frying Pans and Psycho Elves" post.

dustin
    Professional soldiers are predictable, unfortunately, the world is full of amateurs.

In life, there are defining moments; it is for you to decide whether the moment will define you, or if you will define the moment.

I agree with Dustin, I want players to role-play the intimidation and provide some kind of context in order for it to work. If somebody just shouts out a threat in battle, I don't give it much of an effect (the skill description at best). But, if a player builds the intimidation into his role-playing and provides some kind of event revolving around it, then I also like to use the Fear effect table. For example, in the last scene in my chronicle a war-band of Easterlings attacked the Fellowship aboard a ship sailing the Inland Sea. The heroes were desperately outnumbered, so one of them grabbed the Easterling leader and pinned him to the deck, holding him at spear-point. Then I let him make an Intimidate skill test to try to get the Easterling chief to call off his men.
    Scottomir's LOTR Game Resources:
    http://www.geocities.com/scott_metz/