Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 22nd Century Technology

Talking

Thanks for the link dan. Actually i find the ships from pre federation to be especially cool looking. I will begin doing some spacedock stats on a few . Will let you guys know how it goes.

chris

[This message has been edited by IceGiant (edited 02-13-2001).]

Small update. I'm half-way thru ship design for the pioneer class cruiser. My problem is this. Sapcedock lists the weakest sensors at 4/10 light years. I think this is a little too far for the era, i'm thinking of halving them. Thoughts?

chris

Originally posted by IceGiant:
    Small update. I'm half-way thru ship design for the pioneer class cruiser. My problem is this. Sapcedock lists the weakest sensors at 4/10 light years. I think this is a little too far for the era, i'm thinking of halving them. Thoughts?

chris

Wait for the TOS Spacedock supplement?

Someone has already done some work on this that you might find useful. It's at http://home.austin.rr.com/jdominion/...operations.htm

The writeups of the Deadalus and Valiant classes look well done to me.

Originally posted by Arithon:

Wait for the TOS Spacedock supplement?

I would but steve's got so much other stuff on his plate i thought i'd try some ideas and see how it comes out.
    Besides these ships are pre-TOS. SO they are alittle different

[This message has been edited by IceGiant (edited 02-13-2001).]

Last night I actually finished the first draft of my Daedalus plans (took me long enough). Nowhere near ready for publication, but I wanted to run a quick tech check, using input from "Enterprise". Spoilers for "Enterprise" follow, up to and including "Sleeping Dogs".

This is for a ship in 2171, 20 years after Enterprise.

The lasers have been replaced by Phase Cannons - just a single bank, located on the bottom of the hull. Not sure what to use for missile weapons - it seems reasonable based on "Enterprise" that primitive photon torps would be around.

A single transporter is present, using single large pad. I currently have it in the sphere, but I think I will move it to the engineering hull near the cargo holds. A pair of drop shuttles are also present.

There is organic (i.e. food) fabrication, but there is still a galley aboard. The food is probably a bit better than the "nutrient paste" described in the TOS Rules.

Eight bunkrooms, each housing about 10-12 enlisted men. About 10 officer quarters, most double occupancy. (Wondering if I should make the bunkrooms tiny double-occupancy cubes). No private bathrooms.

Engineering is dominated by storage for deuterium and antimatter.

Am I off on any tech here? Any suggestions?
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Why a total revision?

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread before I posted.

I'd stick with lasers, partly because they are canon, but also because there's no saying that lasers are ALL <i>Daedalus</i> carries. I'd say that phase cannons are a good addition, but also fusion or anti-matter torpedoes and I might even consider a particle cannon.

Just some thoughts.

mactavish out.
    Last edited by mactavish; 02-01-2002 at 06:56 PM.

Dan,

Here are a few ideas/options for your Deadalus class.

If you wantthe ship to feel more primitive than later ships, toss in a few special effects when the ship uses certain systems. Maybe the lights dim a little when the ship goes to warp, or uses lots of power. Maybe it takes a little longer to bring the weapons on line.

In order to keep it feeling low tech, you can probably toss in a few advanced designs, but have them be unreliable. This could explain a lot of the contradictions that occur in TOS and other sources. For instance, subspace radio might exist but could be somewhat unreliable, or have such a limited range with 22nd century tech to be of limited use. For isntace if they had arange of, say 1/2 a light-year, they would be of little use for a deep space ship, but quite useful during a tactical engagment, or near core planets-like Earth where some sort of relay stations could exist.

This fits in well with what tends to happen historically. THe ship could have some somystem that might be technologically obsolete but can still perform. For instance the 16" naval gun from a WWII era battleship is "obsolete" is technologically "obsolete" today, but is still quite effective at lobbing 850kg of matter over 20 miles. Deadalus could and proably should have some tech that might not be state of the art, but can do the job. This ship could have some primitive pho-torps, but also have some older, less effective, but more relaible missile weapons too. Say some pre-anitmatter missles. Likewise, it could have both Phase Cannons and lasers (perhaps the cannons are more powerful, but the lassers have a higher sustained fire rate- sort of like the MG's on modern missile armed warships).
    Note that ihis is similar to the photon/quantum torpedo situation in the DS9 era.

The "nutriet paste" might have characterstics that make it better suited towards space exploration missions. Perhaps it's been chemically doped to be more nutrious than standard foods, or has addtives that are not commonly found in foods. Or perhaps it exitis as a "common food" that all the various Federation Species can digest. THat could be very useful if they wish to have a diverse crew. Probably the TREK version of Tofu.

MAterial Fabricators ARE NOT too high tech for the Deadalus. We have primitive version today, such as CNC lathes. With 22nd century computer and laser technology, they should probably be able to produce a lot of items assumingthey had a store of base materials (and they can always pick up some more stocks from "strange new worlds"- leading into another plot hook for the narrator.)

You could put a hydroponics section on the ship (Voyager and the TOS Enterprise had them, so such facilities did make it into the replicator era). Keeping the plants going could also lead to some interesting story concerns.

Since the Deadalus appears to have an "engineering hull shuttlebay" more inline with the TOS Enterprise than with the NX-01, you could probably give the ship better shuttle and tractor beam technology. Looks like they'd be able to lauch from the bay rather than drop down on a arm.
    The Deadalus probably has a ggod mix of shuttles it allow it to do more. Since shuttles are the only way to move stuff around, they might have soem larger "cargo shuttles" and even a shuttlecraft equvialent to an RV. Something that could provide a shelter/ground HQ for the landing parties and survey teams. Maybe complete with some sort of VTOL mini-shuttle/buggy to help them explore a planet. I can't believe that they expect the landing party to walk everywhere.
    Last edited by tonyg; 02-01-2002 at 12:24 PM.

IMO, the material fabricators will make material, but not finished products. If you need a spare part, you can fabricate a chunk of the appropriate alloy, which you'll have to send to the machine shop to turn into the part you need. If you need a new uniform, you can fabricate fabric, and send it to the ship's tailor. If you need food, you fabricate nutrient paste, and pray desperately that the chef can turn it into something vaguely edible.

As for photon torps (Sleeping Dogs spoilers dead ahead), I got the impression that Reed had never heard of such a thing until Hoshi translated the Klingon weapons station panel.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Okay, I've given this some more thought.

I think that the "nutrient paste" sounds suspiciously like some sort of soy-, fungus-, or algae-based product. This is actually fairly realistic as a good chef - given the proper seasonings and so forth - can form something like tofu into a fairly accurate reproduction of many different foods (i.e. meat, poultry, etc.). I would also imagine that this is supplemented by "real" foods as well.

I also think that there is some sort of advanced fabrication facility on board, but that most of the raw materials would have to be carried on board or picked up along the way and processed. I would guess that the engineering staff has some pretty advanced tools and CAD software, but that most of the actual physical labor of producing components and such is done by hand.

I'll tell you, Dan, I like everything about this campaign idea except for what the <i>Daedalus</i>-class starship <b>looks</b> like!

mactavish out.

Another ship which looks a lot like a 22nd century design would be the Akyazi class if you have Ships of the Star Fleet Volume II. (It looks a lot like Enterprise NX-01.)

I'm working on the starship Icarus NCC-151. Which just has to be a member of that class.

Whether I use it in a game is to be determined, but I started the plans a year ago and didn't want to leave them unfinished...
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

btw, anyone have any inspiration as to what a post-Enterprise uniform would look like?
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Originally posted by mactavish
    Okay, I've given this some more thought.

I think that the "nutrient paste" sounds suspiciously like some sort of soy-, fungus-, or algae-based product. This is actually fairly realistic as a good chef - given the proper seasonings and so forth - can form something like tofu into a fairly accurate reproduction of many different foods (i.e. meat, poultry, etc.). I would also imagine that this is supplemented by "real" foods as well.

Hey man, anything beats C-Rats.

I'm with Sarge

Fabricators: I agree that any fabricators in this time period, would make little more than base materials or components, requiring a machine shop to make the finished product needed.

As for uniforms, I would imagine something like coveralls for simplicity and for ease of making replacement's. They would use old navy mean's of identifying officer's of rank similar to today ( and making that step toward the tos time period )

The coverall's could also be coloured for the appropriate dept.

Engineering/services: Orange

Security/Marines: Black or green

General crew: grey

Command: Blue or dress whites

Re: I'm with Sarge

Originally posted by TomMarg

Security/Marines: Black or green

There's that "M" word again!