Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad News on the Series V Front...

Angry Bad News on the Series V Front...

This was posted on the SCIFI Wire site at SCIFI.com...

Ronald D. Moore--a longtime Star Trek writer and now co-executive producer of The WB's Roswell--told SCI FI Wire that he believes the proposed new Trek series is on hold in light of uncertainty over the future of UPN and the impending writers' and actors' strikes. Moore has no formal affiliation with the Trek franchise, but remains friendly with Trek writers and producers.

In an interview, Moore said, "All I know is that, at the moment, [the new Trek series] is on hold, because there are questions about [the future of] UPN, questions about the strikes. At the moment, they're not casting or building sets. It's kind of in a holding pattern."

Me again... to quote Kurt Vonnugant and Linda Ellerbee, "And so it goes..."

Hugh

I personally think that its good that they're postponing the new series. Considering what I've heard of the new series, IMO, maybe they'll do a rethink on that series' premise, and shelve it permanently!

'Cause, if the new series is about 100 years before TOS, I know that I'll never watch it.

------------------
    "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."
    -Chang (ST VI)

IMO, Treefrog, that's a short-sighted attitude. Who's to say that an early UFP setting wouldn't be any good? No matter what the premise, I plan on watching at least the first few episodes and hoping for the best.

I agree that it might be wise to leave ST dormant for a while and let the producers and writers refresh their creative juices with other projects. I'd rather have them take their time and give us an original and interesting ST a couple of years from now than give us a rehash of the earlier ideas right away. Besides, we've got Andromeda to keep us entertained while we wait.

------------------

<<<<

LUGTrek isn't really dead. Not as long as we remember it.

[This message has been edited by Sarge (edited 02-03-2001).]

Cool

Do a search for "starfleet museum". (Sorry, I misplaced the URL) You should find a kick-ass site with a ton of beautiful ship renderings- all of them from the Romulan War era. I personally like the Yorktown carrier with its Minotaur fighters- noseart and all!

------------------
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

I really like the concept of showing rather than telling federation history. Actually, I came up with the idea before I heard it from anyone else. I voiced it in a letter to Marvel's Early Voyages comic, the issue with Captain Pike and a Klingon cosmetically altered on the cover. I've even entertained the notion that Pocket's Year One and Paramount got it from me! Bwahahaha! Of course, I have been known to become erroneously convinced that I was the originator of an idea now and then.

The big problem with pre-TOS stories of course is that UPN probably won't design clunky-looking tech that [i]looks[i] consistent with TOS and will forget about established Trek "history"...

------------------
    "The more top brass briefings I attend, the more I want to take a phaser to the whole lot of them..."

Captain Matt Hunter, USS Tempest, NCC-81205

Exclamation

There's a thread on the TrekBBS that tries to demistify the concept "BOTF will fail because of..." and answers several questions with a good degree of logic analysis.

Let's remember that the "clunky style" from TOS was the fashion of the time, along with the miniskirts. It's not a technological limitation, it's more of a design concept. Where does this come from? On DS9's "Trials and Tribbleations", Jadzia Dax expressed her joy about being able to look at the style of those times again: the colors, the computers, etc.

This is a good excuse to say "they used knobs and switches for 25-30 years because it was fashionable" This also completely entitles the producers to establish a more 'modern' (compared to that from TOS) look to the BOTF ships and equipment.

------------------
    Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality

Starfleet Museum WAS cool. I checked it out after reading this thread.

I don't think the BOTF storylines would really carry much 'umph' with a lot of the fandom. Actually, in general, it's my opinion Trek's kinda burned out.

Though I am starting to enjoy Andromeda.

calling it a fad would help explain why stuff looked like it came from the minds of the 60's. It's not their fault the series lasted long enough to become out of date!

Lightbulb

I would personally like a series about early Starfleet as long as it was well done and "historically" accurate (but that's always the case, isn't it?). I think it would be cool to see the first voyages of Federation starships, to see the events described in the STTNG Core book, to see a time when transporters were still experimental.

As for Andromeda, you have to be kidding. I refuse to watch Kevin Sorbo in anything (especially since he only knows how to play one character). But that's just my opinion....

------------------
    Tony Fanchi
    Scotty "Laddy, don't you think you should rephrase that?"
    Korax "You're right. I didn't mean to say the Enterprise should be hauling garbage, I meant to say it should be hauled away as garbage!"
    [The Trouble With Tribbles/Trials and Tribbilations]

AslanC Guest

I may be a bit off topic here, but what is this fixation a lot of people have with Andromeda?

IMHO it is a bad show that must have Gene Rodenberry spinning in his grave. I mean between Earth Final Conflict and this it seems like Majel Barrett Rodenberry is just selling any piece of paper Gene noted an idea on for a TV Series.

Still I guess since I like Space Rangers: Fort Hope, anyone can be forgiven for bad sci-fi tastes

What is "Andromeda"??
    I keep hearing about it, and watching out for it on Foxtel...but so far, I've not seen hide nor hair of it.

Can anyone give me a (very brief) idea?

------------------
    "May I find you with peace, and leave you with hope."

The descriptions we give can't do the show justice. Check out www.andromedatv.com, www.andromedaascendant.com, www.allsystems.org and www.slipstreambbs.com.

Reading a interview with Rick Bernan (or whatever) over at Section31.com.
    He reckons that assuming the writer strikes don't tie them down to much, then a series pilot could be out around October.
    And perhaps Trek X early 2002

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Maybe Trek X will be released on the same day as Star Wars Episode 2. Normally, Star Wars would win but I think this will be the best Trek movie ever.