View Poll Results: What is your favourite period for gaming?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Enterprise

2 3.28%
  • Pre-TOS

2 3.28%
  • TOS

4 6.56%
  • Movies

14 22.95%
  • 'Lost Era'

2 3.28%
  • Early TNG

0 0%
  • Late TNG / Early DS9

9 14.75%
  • Dominion War

5 8.20%
  • Post-Dominion War

23 37.70%
  • Federation Timefleet

0 0%

Thread: Most popular Star Trek Gaming Periods

Most popular Star Trek Gaming Periods

Well, as many of you know, I've been trying to set up a Star Trek campaign, running in a rather specific period - with little success. So, I was wondering what the most popular periods for gaming were, before rethinking my campaign.

Richard

You should have set the poll up so we could select more than one option. Some of us have more diverse interests than a single answer can provide.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

While I appreciate the vast resources available for those of us who would game in TNG+, I prefer the TOS Movies (In fact I love TMP and the uniforms too).

Well, the results are interesting. The big concentration seems to be in the DS9 period and beyond, though the fact that the movies are doing so well amazes me. (I thought they'd do well, but not that well!)

Richard

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by Methuslah
    Well, the results are interesting. The big concentration seems to be in the DS9 period and beyond, though the fact that the movies are doing so well amazes me. (I thought they'd do well, but not that well!)
    It doesn't surprise me. The TWOK era is one of the most popular ever, and in fact it was the popularity of Star Trek 2 - 4 that laid the ground for TNG.

Frankly I am releived to see it so popular with the voters

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Methuslah
    That's the Trek that most of us 30-somethings grew up with.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

We have two campaigns. Post DS9/VOY, and lat TOS, leading into the Motion Picture period.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Post TNG/DS9 -- mostly because you can do what you want with no real framework to have to stick to.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

With the way the actual poll is set up I can't vote as my favourite Trek era for a game stretches between TNG to Post DW.

I've set my current campaign post Voyager.. however no one has mighty morphing power ranger armour or one hit wonder misiles I largelly subscribe that stuff to have been locked away in a research lab somewhere for a few years.

I prefer after Voyager (minus technological ludicrousness) because it is still a clean slate, and I can craft my own politics of the future without upsetting anyone. I've also set it in quite a remote localle, on the very edge of the Federation, so even if there ever was (unlikelly) a post VOY series it shouldn't be too upset by it - ok I could be wrong hehe
    Ta Muchly

Post DW, because you are free of continuity issues. (Not that most of my players would know if I pulled a fast one on them ).
    -Chris Barnes
    Visit FBR!

I voted Dominion War but thats because I like dark sci-fi (hey I run SLA Industries as well - no darker SF setting). Plus I'm a bit of a munchkin at heart - I like big space battles and my players like the intrigue and combat options that come available in a war setting.
    We have all your working biros and we're not afraid to use them.

Leave a box of used postit notes and a box of paperclips inside the filling cabinet and things won't get nasty.

Yours,

The Office Gremlins

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    That's the Trek that most of us 30-somethings grew up with.
    Agreed, I tend to base my games around the crew of a Miranda in the TWOK era. I love TNG but I love the red uniforms and early movie Federation ships more =)

Crow

I dunno, that's not an easy one. I guess i'd choose "Late TNG/Early DS9", but really i'd prefer a bit later--late DS9 or post-DS9, but *without* the Klingon or Dominion wars occurring or having occurred. I don't like gaming in an at-war setting, and i don't like what they did with the setting with either of these, especially the short-lived Klingon war. [I like what they did to DS9 as a series with Worf and the Klingon war, then the Defiant, then the Dominion war, even less.]

But, really, i think i'm picking a setting as much as or more than a timeframe. I liked the cultures and their interactions in DS9 a lot, and the fact that the stories (until the wars and the intro of the Defiant) were mostly centered around one location. And while i enjoy the higher tech levels of the later series, i also can't stand Q or Borg, so i'm probably coloring the whole series, since that's the only of the later series not to really have anything to do with either of them. But, obviously, i could have a TNG-era or later--even Delta-Quadrant--game without involving the Borg, if i don't want to, so that's probably not a fair criterion.

'Course, the real choice for me isn't one of time or series, but universe: the Mirror Universe is my favorite 'Trek setting of all time, better than all the rest put together. I'll take it, in any era from when it split (Eugenics Wars? WWII?) to post-DW and beyond, and any flavor: Mirror, Mirror and its extrapolations, the DS9 eps, the various novels, something homebrew.
    Nat Barmore
    not necessarily on behalf of
    The Impossible Dream
    http://www.tiltingatwindmills.net