Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trek fatigue

Trek fatigue

Is it me or am I seeing a wave of Trek fatigue among fans in general? Personally nowadays I don't care too much about the franchise- I dunno, after a while I think one can grow tired of viewing his favorite movies and episodes over and over again. This year alone I must have seen my fav TNG and DS9 episodes a few times over.

I think that after 'Enterprise' Star Trek should take a long break. Thoughts?
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    The only reason I'm not watching TWoK every Saturday is that my wife would grow weary of it...it's the same reason that my favorite war movie of all time, Zulu, sits on the shelf most often in favor of something that the Mrs. can tolerate.

I still can't get enough Trek. Give me a good TV movie with the Excelsior's crew, give me TOS reruns in prime time on Sci-Fi or TV Land, give me a good Trek movie based on the DS9 crew (return of Sisko would be an epic plot ).

I'd love to see TPTB skip to 2155-6 after wrapping up the Xindi/TCW plots this season, and get moving with the Romulans...and all the ways they can see the Romulans without actually seeing the Romulans. Four good years of the E/RW.

Then, when the series ends, give the cast a year off before you start the first movie with the STE crew on the birth of the Federation in 2161.

That's what I want from Trek. Give me more.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I would say yes to all the different spinoffs ST has had and no to the Movies. And I would love for the movie franchise move away from TNG to something different crew let's say DS9 or let's say if there will be a last movie, use all the characters from all the different series from TNG to VOY. That would be epic.
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them. -- Mark Twain

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Arrow

I could use a break. My enthusiasm for Trek have been waning these days. After all, I've been a Trek fan for almost 20 years.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Originally posted by REG
    I could use a break. My enthusiasm for Trek have been waning these days. After all, I've been a Trek fan for almost 20 years.
    I think I got my break when I stopped watching Voyager regularly. But it's been about 25 straight years for me, otherwise.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Cool

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    I think I got my break when I stopped watching Voyager regularly. But it's been about 25 straight years for me, otherwise.
    I've been watching Trek in form or another, for the past 38 years. I'm not tired of Trek one damn bit!
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Yeah, fatigue is setting in for me. I still regularly run a game that is great fun, but when it comes to watching week by week.... I kinda just stopped and never realised.

Course, finding myself hooked on Stargate probabley didn't help, either. Only so many TV hours.....

Later days!

Mark
    'Wish I could Help you....Wish I could tell you,
    That I am real, I'm not something you invented,
    That I'm not everything you want me to be.'

'And I am...Ageless. And I am....Invincible.'

Originally posted by Cmdr Powers
    I've been watching Trek in form or another, for the past 38 years. I'm not tired of Trek one damn bit!
    Some of us cheeses just aren't as well-aged as you are, CP.
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

I too find myself weary of Trek in general, but that said I can watch ST 1 - 4 and never grow tired of them. Also I find myself able to watch TOS and the occaisional DS9. But TNG just is over saturated for me and Voyager was never my cupa'.

I know what you mean about TNG - there's something like 8-10 epsiodes shown a week just on Sky 1 alone.

That said when an old favourite epsiode does come on I find myself slipping on to the sofa to watch - I am not THAT tired of it yet - Some of the earliest episodes are cheesy - but some of them are just so good still!
    Ta Muchly

Lightbulb

I tened to focus on the earlier eras on Trek such as ENT/TOS...or post TNG (But not Voyager). The older series was taken less seriously, and was therefore more fun.

TNG, which having good eps occasioanlly, was a bit too preachy for my tastes. DS9 took a while to get the ball rolling, but eventually got interesting. Voyager was an abomination in my eyes and I ignore it if at all possible.

Some of the Novels provide for good reading, and the Older Alan Dean Foster stuff is still good.
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Arrow

I like the "preachy parts" of TNG. You can get good quotes on the "preachy parts."
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I'm glad to see that many of you, after all, still see ST from a 'fresh' perspective. Perhaps I have overstimated the margin by which fans at large are experiencing 'Trek fatigue'.
    "No captain kicked ass, took names, outsmarted the machines, and then scored the babes like the Kirkmeister" -Liquidator Queeg

I still like to watch the Star Trek re-runs. All ST series are airing in germany at this point of time (oh no, not true, the TOS re-run finished some weeks ago to be continued by TNG ). And I even begin to enjoy parts of ST - Nemesis. But this by due to the fact that we upgraded our TV set with a dolby sourround set up.

I'd definately would like to see well told stories set in the ST universe. I personaly would have preferred something that would have meddled together the better parts of DS9 and VOY and continue that timeframe but I'm willing to give ENT a chance. I believe we're in second season here but I'm missing a lot of epsiodes due to a full weekend schedule and forgetfullnes to prog the VCR :-(