Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: [News] Decipher RPG Product Lines Transferred

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Some more news:Read it all here.
    Well, despite my optimism, that about does it for me. Other than back-up copies of the PG and NG, I don't plan on purchasing any more Decipher products. . . this includes the CCG, renewals to my Star Trek Fan Club membership / magazine (my membership just lapsed), or any of the products from the Official Fan Club Store.

What does this mean for the future of Trek-RPG.net, Don ?
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

So does this mean the Decipher rpg lines are dead? I thought we were going to get an official product schedule update this month but I must have missed it.

This may be premature, but I am a bit dissapointed. I finally found a great rpg systems and now it may no longer be officially supported. Look on the bright side: we are left with a fairly complete system and core set of books. While the LotR rpg could benefit from a few more sourcebooks, I feel the Trek line is complete just considering the two core books. While not everything is spelled out in those two books, the basic tools to create just about anything you would need game-wise are there. My main hope was to see a second edition of the rules, though.

It's worth mentioning this hasn't been confirmed by Decipher yet. Of course, it hasn't been denied either...
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Cool

Originally posted by Fesarius

I wonder if the f0lks at WoTC plan to call up VCP and favor 'em with a Nelson Muntz style "Ha! Ha!"
    No reason for them to do that. I'm doing it for them.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

If you take that report literally, it's just confirming what we already have heard. Decipher has no current plans to publish this year.

The various emails that have been posted indicate that the powers that be haven't made a plan yet, which means there are no current plans. It doesn't mean they definitely will or won't print, just that they don't know.

While I believe that this is not necessarily the "last nail in the coffin" - this would be the official announcement that, "Regretfully, the Decipher administration has concluded that continuing with further publication of Star Trek RPG material is not in our best corporate interests..." - it does call up the image of the sextons and gravediggers leaning against the trees, having a butt while they wait for the funeral procession to arrive.

It's now obvious that the promised "update" of the Trek products page was nothing more than a deletion of all post-Worlds books, and Worlds itself being consigned to the gray limbo of "TBA". In my humble opinion, the clock is now seriously ticking on the likelyhood of seeing any further work released by Decipher: the timer now stands at nine months and counting. If we haven't heard of any definitive, positive steps being taken by year's end, I think we can pretty much declare the post-Creatures projects stillborn.

Actually, the deadline is the 31/3 in my eyes.
    The end of the year is too much. I fully expect some kind of a statement by 31/3. No statement by that date is the equal of a "line is dead" statement imho.

However, the link given is not new, it is just a rehash of the scedhule produced by decipher last month - which only shows new CCG products.
    I don't think it is any indication of the fate of the RPG lines.

A quick note from Decipher's Trek message board; it's from one of the Little Green People, so make of it what you will:

"no current plans to publish" isn't the same thing as "plans not to publish". It just means that they still haven't decided yet, so don't have anything to announce (because if they did announce "more stuff coming!" and then it didn't, fans would just get mad at them for getting their hopes up and then not following through... this way at least they're being honest about their problems and mistakes)

Mael
    I still stand by my above statement: Nine months left until the "best-before" date has passed. Your move, Decipher...

Note, though, that Maelwys is a mod for one of the TCG boards, so even though he's posting in green, it doesn't necessarily reflect additional knowledge of the subject. Besides, he said the same thing Ineti did just a few posts up...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Originally posted by Ezri's Toy
    What does this mean for the future of Trek-RPG.net, Don ?
    Considering Trek-RPG.net survived the loss of LUG, I see no reason why it shouldn't survive this. Right, Don?
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

More news

I'm on a Decipher press mailing list and just received the official Decipher GTS follow-up. There was not one word about the RPGs in the release covering their plans for 2004. In fact by reading that release you wouldn't know that Decipher even published RPGs at all.

Don't shoot the messenger.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Hmm doesn't sound at all good. Bummer.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Re: More news

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    I'm on a Decipher press mailing list and just received the official Decipher GTS follow-up. There was not one word about the RPGs in the release covering their plans for 2004. In fact by reading that release you wouldn't know that Decipher even published RPGs at all.

Don't shoot the messenger.

We bdon't have to shoot the messenger, Decipher seems to doing a good job of that.

I feel bad for the the old (ex) Last Unicorn folk. After LUG;TREK, Wizard/D20 TREK, and Decipher-TREK, they must feel like they are writing a "collectable" RPG, with a new edition every other year.

The Star Trek RPG franchise looks cursed.

I know I'm cursing.

This just in:

Decipher announces the release of it's new game, "Decipher."

Players compete to see who can sit on their hands the longest.
    (Playtesters say that the current record is about six months.)

Players can apparently also win by abruptly leaving the game without warning or comment, while simultaneously convincing the other payers that they are staying. This is known as the "string-along" technique and has proven remarkably successful in game play.

-------------

First "Bitter? Me? NAAH!" of Two
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by First of Two
    Decipher announces the release of it's new game, "Decipher."
    Yes, I'd heard about this impending release as well, only I'd seen it advertised under the title, Deceiver. This was apparently chosen to better reflect the nature of the game and the company that created it. The Website will have the release date later this week; it is meant for amusement/frustration value only and is not to be taken as literal, no matter how ardently the company trumpets its impending arrival.

Copies of the game will also include the text of the play Waiting for Godot.