Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: [News] Decipher RPG Product Lines Transferred

Originally posted by Phantom

As to the above quote, similar thing happened with the Dune series first with LUG then with WOTC. It is my understanding at least one book for Dune is sitting next to the Lost Ark in a warehouse somewhere never to see the light of day.
    That may the last of the limited copies of Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium rulebook that was sold exclusively at GenCon 2000 ... about the same time Decipher made the ... ahem ... announcement.

Why is that still fresh in my mind even now, I'll never know. Hehehe.

But if you're referring to the then-announced d20 book, I don't think they got that far in the project since the license was expired and Herbert Estate asked for a higher royalty payment than with LUG, for which WotC said, "uh, nah" and walked away from the negotiation.

Since then, no one has picked that RPG license up.

But, at least WOTC put the word out that they would be cancelling the RPG, even if it was 1 week before scheduled release.
    Which IIRC, Wizards also wanted to consolidate as part of their company re-organization plan that includes closing down the WotC LA office. They asked each one of the former LUG employees if they want to move to Seattle. Only Charles Ryan and one other said yes. Others declined and recieved a generous severance package (for which I believe they were grateful for the medical insurance benefit).

P.S. For some unnatural reasons, the departure of Ross Isaacs and Ken Hite left me with a bad vibe about Decipher's RPG venture. To steal from an LOTR film, they're "like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains."
    Last edited by REG; 01-24-2004 at 04:44 AM.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Another quote from www.rpg.net (by Kieran Yanner a decipher employee):

I was the one they gave the transfer option to.
    This gives me a little hope that the games are not yet dead.

Three of my favourite games have been postponed/suspended/uncertain in one week. Lotr, Star Trek, Shadowrun Duels. This sucks.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Jeff Tidball just posted this on rpg.net:

There were four employees in the LA office. Myself, Jesse Heinig, and Jesse Cassem were let go. The fourth, Kieran Yanner, posts here; I'll let him speak for himself. Four Norfolk employees were also let go on the 23rd, including the guy in marketing who was responsible for the RPG lines.
    http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98042

which doesn't bode well for the future of the RPG line...

If that's who I think it is (I'll be making some calls on Monday), then, yes, that doesn't sound good.

Decipher may, however, be consolidating their sales and marketing efforts, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything at this time. The coming week will tell us more.

Speculation bad.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by Greg Smith
    This gives me a little hope that the games are not yet dead.
    Meaningless. Kieran is an extremely talented graphic designer -- Decipher could use him on CCGs and other products. If anything, his statement places the future of the RPGs in even more doubt.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

This doesn't sound good at all. Definitely making a call Monday to Decipher to determine how they're going to handle current contracts with their freelancers.

I may make a call, too.

*ring*
    "Hello, Decipher..."
    "WHAT THE @#$%*!!!
    *rant continues*
    *time passes*
    @#$% *&^$ %^#, &%#%$, is going ON down there?!?!"

*silence*
    "Please... stop... I just
    started here!"
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Damn it - not again!

I hope they don't ditch the game, and I hope they get it all going again. I guess I'm just going to have to sit back and watch how this one pans out.

I feel quite gutted for those guys who've been let go. From the little personal contact I've had with Jesse Heinig he seemed like a really nice guy, and I wish him all the best in his future career - whatever it is!

it's a shame, but I can imaging whatever the issue is about - Profit will be at the root of it; it's something we see time and time again and it's quite sad really.
    Ta Muchly

To reiterate, I think polite e-mails (to customer.service@decipher.com) in support of the RPG products would show Decipher that the lines have a loyal and committed audience. The text of my e-mail is below, in case anyone wanted to use it as a model. Please do not copy it word for word because customer service departments ignore form letters / junk mail just like everyone else. And also, don't send your e-mail more than once. Decipher wants to see customers in quantity not e-mail.

Greetings:

I am an avid fan of Decipher's Star Trek role-playing game using the CODA system. Recently, I saw a posting on Decipher's web site regarding the closing of their Los Angeles based role-playing game studio including the lay-off of a number of employees.

On many role-playing game internet forums, including Trek-RPG.net, further information and clarification by Decipher freelancers and former employees has prompted much speculation as to whether or not the Star Trek role-playing game line will continue.

As a fan and loyal customer of the Star Trek RPG line, let me take time to say "Please do continue!" Star Trek role-playing is a most engaging hobby and, to date, I have purchased all available Decipher STRPG products and am eagerly awaiting and intend to purchase the forthcoming announced products, especially "Star Trek Worlds" and "Through a Glass Darkly: The Mirror Universe."

In short, I just wanted to voice my support of my favorite role-playing game and show Decipher that a paying audience for Star Trek role-playing game products is still out there waiting patiently.

Thank you.

•Signature
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

I've been trolling the boards on this subject at rpg.net - which Don has kindly provided a link to on the first page of this thread - and a considerable number of ex-LUG - now ex-Decipher - writers and staffers have been posting there and reminiscing about how this particular house of cards came crashing down. From the sounds of it, the administrative process for the RPGs that Decipher set up was crippled from the beginning, and it was only a matter of time before these talented and creative people realized that their work was neither valued nor appreciated, and that it was time for them to leave. As many here have speculated, I found it unpleasantly strange and foreboding that Ken Hite, Owen Seyler, Matt Colville, and especially Ross Isaacs would have stuck it through with LUG for as long - and enthusiastically - as they did, and then bail when Decipher's work was just beginning to see the light of day.

While I was never terribly enamoured of Coda, I am hoping that, as the dust settles, we may see a return to these boards of the individuals who helped craft both that game and Icon - that is, if they have any interest in communicating with the people who actively sought out their work. I'd certainly appreciate an insider's view on how the two experiences compared, and whether they might, if the opportunity were offered, be willing to take up the cross again and give it a third try.

And continuing the fun...apparently Decipher is closed today due to bad weather in VA. So, another day of speculation!
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

It most likely is a simple coincidence but amazon.de lists "LotR - Fell Beasts and Wonderous Magic" as no longer available since yesterday :-(

"Fell Beasts" is still available at the U.S. Amazon. Things like "Isengard...", "Rohan...", and "Fields of Battle..." still show "Not Yet Published" and an expected date of 2/2004.

On the Trek side, "Worlds" and "Glass" show "Usually ships in 1 to 2 months", which tends to mean the item is released but hard to get. I suspect this status of being wrong.

Okay what will our generation do....

Ok it's our turn to take the reins for a bit. When the old school LUG RPG went out, what did we do? Now that Jesse and Co. is down and out, what will this generation of RPG fans do? We have over 2,000 registered users of this site with each of the users 2-3 fans a piece we SHOULD be able to do somehting. For everything Jesse and the gang has done for us what will we give back? Will we sit back in the 4th quater and wait for time to run out and say, "I knew we were going to lose, I'm just glad the game is over." Or "We fought hard for our Jesse because he fought hard for us when we needed answers and he cared for Star Trek just as much as any true fan and beyond!" What can the power of the fans do for our friends and OUR game? We don't do this game for the money we play it for our imagination, our dreams, our spirit for adventure! I e-mailed the customer support using the basic template of Ezri's letter with my own words and hope & Pray for Jesse and his co-workers. If he needs some work I have a place for him. Thanks for every time you cared Jesse, Good fortune to ya!

7 of 11
    Amanda

You will be missed
    7 of 11
    Bored of Borg?
    Try the new Species 8472!
    Hard to kill, Harder to find!