Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [News] Decipher RPG Product Lines Transferred

if they are about 60 percent done with the contract, you would think that if they do pull out, they would face a pretty big loss through breaches of contract and such. i get the feeling that soon we will start getting the books that were already in the works and after those books are put out, never hear the words star trek rpg and decipher in the same breath. you would probably expect the last 7-8 books to be really spread out over the next few years so Decipher does not have to deal with new material while they are still under contract. that way they can sit back and reap some money on material that is already done, but not published yet.
    live long and prosper

When Hasbro bought Wizards of the Coast, they knew they were buying a cash cow. They assumed that the company made a lot of money because it was well put together, and well run.

The truth turned out to be somewhat different: Wizards' products were so popular, they made money *in spite* of their internal organization and management in a lot of cases (the original founders were on top of their game, but a lot of the middle managers were clueless, and some were dishonest).

I fear Decipher might be similar: they made a lot of money because, in the collectable card business when they started, it would have been hard not to.

I'm increasingly convinced that when they try to publish a product with a more limited fan base, and try to make money from it, they can't. This has them perplexed; they can't figure out how to make money from Trek, and they don't want to publish at a loss (a very reasonable position). So they're paralyzed by indecision. Eventually, they'll realize that no decision is a decision, and they'll do *something*. But it's unclear exactly what.

Originally posted by jeffearley
    if they are about 60 percent done with the contract, you would think that if they do pull out, they would face a pretty big loss through breaches of contract and such. i get the feeling that soon we will start getting the books that were already in the works and after those books are put out, never hear the words star trek rpg and decipher in the same breath. you would probably expect the last 7-8 books to be really spread out over the next few years so Decipher does not have to deal with new material while they are still under contract. that way they can sit back and reap some money on material that is already done, but not published yet.
    I get the impression from people like Matt Colville that the licensors really don't care what happens with Decipher and a release schedule so long as it doesn't make the properties look bad, or violate their IP in some way.

For example, with ST, consider how many ST computer games have been cancelled outright, even when nearly ready for release.

Arrow

I don't think you should compare ST computer game with that of RPG. Even that area have some legal issue (like Interplay suing Paramount for ruining the appeal of Star Trek).
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I received an e-mail response from Decipher today. I wrote them an encouraging letter last month. They said they are going to update their rpg release schedule in the month of March and that they are going to continue with the star trek rpg. That gives me a little more confidence in that we have not seen the last of Trek sourcebooks!
    live long and prosper

I got an email response too. It said the same thing.

I'll be waiting to see what they do.

Meanwhile, my copies of the 'Earth Alliance' and 'Minbari Federation' sourcebooks for the Babylon 5 RPG just arrived. w00t! Niiiiiiice...
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I'va sated myself with the new Unearthed Arcana.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Are the Babylon 5 sourcebooks from Decipher as well? And if they are, are they really well done? I am curious as to the quality of the books after all the nonscense we have been put through lately.
    live long and prosper

RE: B5 books

No, The B5 book series is from Mongoose Publishing. While the quality is colour is quite good as is the source material (with occasional typos), my only real nit is the way they bind the books together. To makea long story short, the books will bow after exposure to an even moderate humidity. But aside from that, they are quite nice. worth grabbing
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Thank you very much. I just might have to do that. I always thought that Deciphers quality to be very good.
    live long and prosper

Originally posted by jeffearley
    I received an e-mail response from Decipher today. I wrote them an encouraging letter last month. They said they are going to update their rpg release schedule in the month of March and that they are going to continue with the star trek rpg. That gives me a little more confidence in that we have not seen the last of Trek sourcebooks!
    I'll beleive it when I see it. I am so mad right now it has not lessened in the weeks that I first read about this. I am glad someone revieved a letter so far I have not. I will look at Decpher's website in March but I doubt the update will be any good. I am right now expecting these are the last books sorry guys it was a great run.
    WotC did the same thing and are doing a much better job than they did before with their Star Wars D20, however that is a rarity in the gaming industry. Whenever there is a move like this it means death to the game line. LUG is a great example of this and many think the Star Trek RPG is cursed. March is a tell tale sign. No update no Star Trek in my opinion.
    Unless one of the game designers posts something encouraging on the official or this semi official forums.
    Since this reemed my game design for the moment I am going to run a Werewolf game. Atleast this game is getting support even in the Time of Judgement.
    Hey my opinion

Without Star Trek: The Original Series there would be no other Trek Series or Movies regardless of shows rewriting the Series past.

Even without support, isn't the Decipher lineup of books sufficient for continued play?

This is a rhetorical question since I obviously believe the answer is yes... I mean, we have the books, a lot of episodes of VHS and DVD, books (canon and otherwise), not to mention our feeble minds

Charles
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

yeah but.... I WANT AN ENTERPRISE SOURCEBOOK!!!!

Originally posted by ImperialOne
    Even without support, isn't the Decipher lineup of books sufficient for continued play?

This is a rhetorical question since I obviously believe the answer is yes... I mean, we have the books, a lot of episodes of VHS and DVD, books (canon and otherwise), not to mention our feeble minds

Charles
    Precisely. I fail to understand the mindset of those who are complaing that they need more books. More books would certainly be nice, but they're hardly a necessity.

"Oh, there's no new books coming out so I'm giving up on my Trek game". Geez, what did you guys do until ICON came along?

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Arrow

Originally posted by T'lara

March is a tell tale sign. No update no Star Trek in my opinion.
    Unless one of the game designers posts something encouraging on the official or this semi official forums.
    Beware the Ides of March. IOW, pray for good news but prepare for the the bad news.

Since this reemed my game design for the moment I am going to run a Werewolf game. Atleast this game is getting support even in the Time of Judgement.
    And how is the WW community taking the forthcoming END of WoD?
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer