Thread: Trek games

Trek games

I'm just curious about how the ICON system compares to the Coda system. I have unfortunately never played the system from Last Unicorn games. I really wished I had before now. One of the reasons I'm asking is if Decipher decides to back out of the rpg market place for good. I may try and track down some of these books for source material. Thanks in advance guys.

John

ST

Another question I had was how were the supplements as far as quality? I may go to my local gaming store and pick up a few source books does any one have any suggestions or must haves for the ICON system. I'm currently playing the Decipher version of LOTR. So I have a general understanding of the CODA system. It's not too bad. I do know if I want to play the new Decipher Star Trek game most likely I'm going to have to run it. That sucks but it's better than not playing at all. Thanks again.

John

I never really understood why being the Narrator/GM/DM/Referee/Whatever the system calls the guy who runs the game sucks. I've almost always been the GM, and I really enjoy it.

Anyway, I don't have anything to say about ICON because I never played it, but I couldn't help myself. I'd be interested to know why you think running the game is worse than being a player running a PC.

it depends on your style of gaming I guess. if you can just sit, with a pile of books, and make something up off the top of your head, then good for you. I can't. I usually have to sit for weeks trying to think up plotlines that my players won't see through in minutes, and prepare myself for the inevitable 3 million questions and armies of NPC names they might need to talk too.

Icon and Coda are two seperate systems; and it's hard to quantify which one is better. Again it comes down to your style of play. Icon tends to be more 'accurate' whereas CODA tends to be more 'dramatic' - Point in case, the Icon system's Starship combat system was quite accurate in terms of power alocation and energy levels; whereas the Coda system is more geared towards a fast pace and exploding consoles. With regards to Ship combat Decipher's efforts are some of the best I've seen, because it just works. I found running ICOn was like playing a spreadsheet BUT I know several on the board dislike it and much prefer accuracy - to the point of developing the Spacedock system which is a marvelously detailed one.

In terms of character generation, I think Coda has the slight edge, because I found ICON confusing - it's also much closer to a D20 system without it's flaws (in my opinion) - though in practice, running it, there's not a huge difference.

Personally I would opt for CODA - BUT - some of the suplements you can get for ICON are excelent resources, because they give you a good deal of information and backround material - and they are ALMOST compatible in rules, that you can fudge it here and there.

That's just me, but i know there are allot of Icon fans out there!
    Ta Muchly

ST

Originally posted by Mazza
    I never really understood why being the Narrator/GM/DM/Referee/Whatever the system calls the guy who runs the game sucks. I've almost always been the GM, and I really enjoy it.

Anyway, I don't have anything to say about ICON because I never played it, but I couldn't help myself. I'd be interested to know why you think running the game is worse than being a player running a PC.

Well, some people just love to run games. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. I just love being one of the cast members. It does take some time to prepare for a gaming session or sessions. It really depends on the story arch you plan out and if the players can figure it out or not. Some times it's just nice to take a break show up and just game for once.

John

I have been a GM of various games for about a year and a half now. When I first started as a GM, I was very dependant on prepackaged adventures. As my confidence grew, I've come up with my own adventures. People tell me I'm rather good at it. Despite what some people tell you, GMing can be fun. Players are full of surprises. Seeing how players deal with a situation can be fun, whether you're watching them squirm under the villains bootheel or coming up with some novel solution to a problem. I have found my GMing experience very rewarding and highly recommend it to anyone who has the time to think up stuff to run for their group.