Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When you say Enterprise isn't Trek....

From the various sources we've seen; The Romulan war IS exactly why all of the major races of the federation banded together. While it seemed to be nothing much more of a minor skirmish, it must have proved to be enough of a threat to those races for it to get them to band together. WHich is why the Temporal Cold war and Xindi thing make that weaker, because respectivelly the Xindi appear to be more advanced and more of a threat to 'Earth' than the Romulans of that period were. (though the Romulans of course are expansionist and the Xindi may be persuaded to back off once the obviousness of their own stupidity in being manipulated by the TCW players becomes clear).

With regards to the AkiraprIse. Yes matt Jeffries' work from the 60's does look a little silly these days, but as I've said before - with a nice coat of paint the Refit enterprise looked pretty sexy - and so could a Dadelus class vessel. Yes the shape is boxy, but as people have pointed out it was only seen partially, so they could have 'tweaked' it - even saying 'this is the precursor to the Daedelus, which is the first true Federation vessel' - and made it more amenable and asthetically pleasing. The whole Akiraprise problem could have been solved if they'd simply not made it look like something from the 24th century too! it's annoying too, because they've made such a bang up job on the Andorians and especially Vulcans ships - which DOES fit canon - so why take one and not the other!
    Ta Muchly

Check out the Trek Art section on TrekBBS - some of the guys/gals there have been putting together updated CG images of Daedelus-Class ships that look, well, pretty damn cool.
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

Originally posted by Tobian
    From the various sources we've seen; The Romulan war IS exactly why all of the major races of the federation banded together. While it seemed to be nothing much more of a minor skirmish, it must have proved to be enough of a threat to those races for it to get them to band together.
    What source links the founding of the Federation to the Romulan War? I know there's a lot of speculation in that regard, much of it officially licensed (i.e. various RPGs, encylopedias, etc.) and I happen to agree with that speculation, but is there an episode of Trek that would be contradicted if something else were to be given as the reason for founding the Federation?
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Actually, without checking and being tremendously anal about it, I think you're probably right there.

The Encyclopaedia and such do make alusions to it all, both Decipher and LUG both stated it to be the case, with the blessing of Paramount (technically, yeah for what THAT'S worth!) but none of that will hold water, ultimatelly, if they do change it all.

I hope they don't as it should be a good ending for Enteprise but we shall see.
    Ta Muchly