Thread: Scotty, where's that Emergency Power?

Scotty, where's that Emergency Power?

I searched the threads (well kinda) for emergency power and couldn't find anything. So in our game we put 2 extra blocks on the Starship combat sheet, one is Aux power the other is in front of Prop called emergency power. I understand the transfer power from the port-a-potty to the sink deal but I don't get where does the "Boost power to the shields" (Doesn't feel right damaging/down grading one system to enhance another)or "Emergency power to the weapons"? So if a system gets damaged then my players can transfer aux power to that system or if they need to boost or "enhance" a system, then it's emergency power from the engines. If they receive an "All Systems" damage roll then they lose both Aux and Emergency power and take normal damage to all systems. If the Prop is hit (1st time) then they take normal damage and lose the Emergency power (but they could transfer Aux power to prop and emergency power would be restored in 1 round) because the system is damaged and can't output extra/stored energy to help out. What do you all think? If anyone know where there is a system in place or if they would like to suggest a better way of doing it or even to improve on this system please post away! Thanks in advance!

7 of 11
    A
    7 of 11
    Bored of Borg?
    Try the new Species 8472!
    Hard to kill, Harder to find!

I experimented with a similar system a while back.

The Players Guide (p.195) describes Emergency and Auxillary Power, but no actual rules are given for their use.

I added Emergency Power and Auxillary Power Damage Tracks, and gave them both Class B ratings, so we had Class B "Reserves Available", Class A "Reserves Empty" for each.

The Engineer could use his normal skill roll to "damage" these systems and make the power available to other systems, but I removed the time limit since the new system would now be connected to the backup power supply.

I also decided that further hits to the Propulsion system, once it was reduced to Class A (and assuming the reserves weren't already empty anyway) would be applied to Auxillary, then Emergency power. (Edit: Of course, this was before I got "Starships", where new rules had propulsion being reduced to Class A leading to a Warp Core Breech..)

It seemed to work well enough, but to be honest, I only added it because I had a PC Engineer. Without one, I would have left things as they are and just put the whole Auxillary and Emergency Power down to roleplaying and scene setting, with no game effects.

Last edited by InfinityDoctor; 01-31-2004 at 06:37 PM.