Thread: New Character Concept, need help for Generation

New Character Concept, need help for Generation

Well... I have not yet built a chronicle, but have been building on one, and trying to build interest amongst our rag-tag group. All I know at the moment, is that I want to focus on the North, revisiting the lands from 'The Hobbit'. As the Dwarfs were almost notably absent from LotR I see this as a chance to find out why, with Dain, King of the Undermountain, Bards settlement in Dale, and even the Elven King, Legolas's father and the like... I also like the idea (posted here some time back) that this begins as a Decoy Fellowship, but soon ends in its own quest... Perhaps for the Dwarven Rings?

One of my players had a strong concept for a character, with one of Beorn's people, perhaps his son, comlpete with shape-changing abilities. And considering the unashamed inequality between elves and other races, I cannot see a problem with such a character, but all we have for Lycanthropes are WereWargs, not the WereBear, and this is as opposition, rather than character creation.

Anyone got any ideas for how to turn the Were Bear into Character Generation form?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Easiers way is to give the Mastery of Shapes Spell as an abiltiy, but only allow one creature type ie bear. How much this costs would be up to the gm, (For me as a narrator i have counted it as an order ability)

As it is a racial thing IMO, give the Mastery of Shapes spell with the limitation of only the bear as has been suggested and have it cost 3-4 Racial picks or simply make it a racial ability for the Beornings.

Some book or another, either the core rulebook or Fell Beasts and whathaveyou, states that such a racial ability would be okay to cost 2 advancements (not two picks, but two whole advancements). Sounds fair enough to me-from what I could tell of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, the beornings didn't all possess the ability to shape-change, only those with more of the old blood, so it fits a bit better than granting it as a racial ability IMO.

Dan, the dwarves and Mirkwood elves weren't really "absent" from LotR. According to the appendices, they were quite busy dealing with orcish armies from Dol Guldur. That's why there weren't any elven or dwarfish armies directly opposing Mordor. That has lots of potential for writing your own epic in the North.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Originally posted by Sarge
    Dan, the dwarves and Mirkwood elves weren't really "absent" from LotR. According to the appendices, they were quite busy dealing with orcish armies from Dol Guldur. That's why there weren't any elven or dwarfish armies directly opposing Mordor. That has lots of potential for writing your own epic in the North.
    That exactly what was going to happen in my imagination, with another army sent to hold them off...

Well, now I know I have the professors support!

Speaking of which, one of my concept NPC's is causing some friction in the group. I think it fits, the players disagree.

As a stand on the whole 'nature vs. nurture' arguement, I was thinking of having a half-orc among the Rangers assigned to help them. Separated from his people at birth and raised by humans, he is aware of who and what he is, but the actions of his people disgust him (almost as much as his understanding of their evil disgusts him)... I wanted a character that is almost the opposite of Frodo, rather than good turning eventually to evil, but instead evil fighting its nature to serve good...

I think he would fit into the Rangers (after a little difficulty), and could make an interesting NPC and spy in the enemy camp...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Try to make them realize that redemption for past transgressions and rising above one's own station when the need arises are two key elements to Tolkien's story (as well as who you are has a lot to do with who raised you, not necessarily who your biological parents were).

Try giving him some flaws to balance the character out like one of these (or combination/abstraction) I made up:

Cultural Conflict
    -----------------

You disagree with the ideals and philosophies of society of origin or of the cultures of your parents.

Effect: You have a -4 penalty to all social tests when dealing with members of your own species. If of a mixed species, -4 to all social tests when dealing with a minimum of one of the species from which you are descended.
    Upgrade: If this trait is selected again, add another -2 penalty (maximum penalty -8).

Outcast
    -------

You have been cast out of your home, society, or planet. Pretty serious consequences may take place if you are ever encountered by a member of the group you were excommunicated from.

Effect: If you encounter another of the group of which you were cast from and you are recognized as an outcast, double your Renown penalty to all social tests, minimum of -1.