Thread: Why hasn't anyone developed a Star Trek CRPG?

Post Why hasn't anyone developed a Star Trek CRPG?

I've always been curious about that but could never find an answer.....

That would be computer RPG, right? It seems some Trek computer games could be classified as RPG's, like that insurrection sequel and possibly The Fallen. Could someone tell me more about computer RPG's? I don't get them. What I like about paper ones is you create your own characters and adventures, and modify the setting. I don't think computer ones are like that.

I find computer rpgs too restrictive, and replayability is non-existant. Most of the time it's just fighting monsters and moving up levels, with minimal storyline.

Star Trek: Final Unity is a computer game that is semi-rpg, i.e. not all battles and you get to decide what the bridge crew does. Still, when you hit a wall, there's no narrator to give you an idea of what to do (unless you shell out money for a cheat book).

------------------
    Tony Fanchi
    Scotty "Laddy, don't you think you should rephrase that?"
    Korax "You're right. I didn't mean to say the Enterprise should be hauling garbage, I meant to say it should be hauled away as garbage!"
    [The Trouble With Tribbles/Trials and Tribbilations]

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

The biggest problem with Computer RPGs is limitation. There is so much the game simply cannot do - like hold an interactive conversation. All conversations are pre-ordained - it's just a question of what path it goes down. All task resolution is done for you. Combat is typically unavoidable.

It's just not Trek, IMHO.

------------------
    "Just think of it - a blind man, teaching an android how to paint? That's gotta be worth a couple of pages in somebody's book." - Riker to La Forge.

Ahh... the cattle chute....

Grab yer gunsticks, fellas. Anyone fer hamburger???

[I wish to apologize in advance to any vegetarian and vegan friends out there; it's only satire!]
    R

Really? I thought I remember hearing news from a year or so ago that they were working on a Star Trek Massively Multiplayer Online RPG.

Arrow

If anything, it'll be like EverQuest or any monthly pay-for-play online computer games.

Personally, I prefer something like the upcoming Neverwinter Night engine, that allows a DM to run their own online game with other internet players for free (one-time purchase of the software not included).

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

Smile

Something along the lines of Black Isle's NWN was definitely what I had in mind. I could only imagine what they could do with a Star Trek game After I had written my original post, my roommate Tracy asked me the same question that I posed. Why can't we have a computer game that's open ended where we can roll up a Starfleet Officer and play in a computerized galaxy? I was just curious what everyone's opinion on this topic was. Thanks for replying

Someday you'll be able to do that... it'll be called a "Holodeck"

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

A computer cannot create interesting sensical results to unexpectable actions, unless you're playing a strategy game.

Exclamation

Ummmm.
    Excuse me, but is everyone forgetting that most time-consuming and lovable internet creation the MUSH?????

There are a couple of Star Trek MUSHes out there. If you want more info on MUSHes and MUDs, E-mail me @ LeoMIW@aol.com

They do have that out there.. but.. Player beware.. there is one that I know of called TOS Muse but you are not given really any player control or creativity.. What I would love to see is a MUSE out there where it's based on LUG's gaming system..

Wink

There are ST RPG on the net that are free of charge in the form of MUSH/MUX. They are text based games, and there is one, Anomaly TrekMUX that uses the LUG rules. If you would like to see what it's about, go to anomaly.mybis.com all information on how to get started is included on that sight.

stEVOL

p.s. This is more than a PBEM game, as everything is in realtime.