Thread: Optimistic Decipher correspondence

Question Dubiously optimistic Decipher correspondence??

I received this reply from Decipher Customer service just now:

On Jan 22, 2004, at 9:33 PM, Manveru wrote:
    > To whom it may concern,
    >
    > I was wondering what Decipher's plan is regarding the
    > unreleased RPG titles. Can you please iterate this
    > for me?
    >
    > Kindly,
    >
    > Manveru

We are moving our RPG Studio to Virginia and will announce a new release schedule in March.

Robin
    Last edited by Manveru; 02-14-2004 at 04:19 PM.

If they didn't routinely fail to meet announced deadlines, I'd be more optimistic about this.

Right!

Sure, but optimistic compared to what? ;-)

I was considering more opitimistic than hearing no word at all.

Having said that. Point taken.

At least we have a little more official info from Decipher. Not knowing what is planned is extremely frusrating.
    www.unfinishedtales.net

'Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works' JRR Tolkien

On the subject of information there was a survey about when people were stuck in traffic jams. If they had any information (for example on the radio or those electronic info boards on the motorway) then people stuck in traffic jams waiting were 50% less frustrated.

So, transposing this theory to Decipher's LOTR RPG they should release some info to reduce the frustration by half.

Stats - don't you just love 'em!
    www.unfinishedtales.net

'Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works' JRR Tolkien

I'm not filled with confidence here - a customer service rep e-mail to a fan isn't what I'd call official word, and since they've been inexcusably late (or failed) with ever other activity they've promised, it isn't exactly a beacon of home.

For two examples of this, consider the official website upgrade originally mentioned in Fall 2002 or so, and the limited edition core book, still not officially cancelled.

This is news? Didn't they say just about the same thing when they dropped that little bomb originally. But, then again how can they mess up a deadline like "soon?" Oh wait. We're talking Dec here, aren't we?

Originally posted by Jason Durall
    [BFor two examples of this, consider the official website upgrade originally mentioned in Fall 2002 or so, and the limited edition core book, still not officially cancelled. [/B]
    Last I heard, the former is still in the works and the latter is officially cancelled.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Originally posted by Doug Burke
    Last I heard, the former is still in the works and the latter is officially cancelled.
    It's still here:

http://www.decipher.com/lordoftherings/rpg/products/

and to this date, I haven't seen anything official about the product's cancellation other than hearing from it from Jeff Tidball.

It's still here:

http://www.decipher.com/lordoftherings/rpg/products/

and to this date, I haven't seen anything official about the product's cancellation other than hearing from it from Jeff Tidball.
    In all fairness, we are all familiar with the speed the web site is updated at ("glacial" is too fast). And, at the time, you really couldn't get any more official than a statement from Jeff (he was where I got the majority of my information, any way).

Originally posted by Doug Burke
    In all fairness, we are all familiar with the speed the web site is updated at ("glacial" is too fast). And, at the time, you really couldn't get any more official than a statement from Jeff (he was where I got the majority of my information, any way).
    I would agree with you, but for two points:

- the CCG aspects of Decipher's website were updated with lightning speed, often daily (or, on occasion, more than once daily).
    - to date, the Powers That Be haven't made any statement officially cancelling the deluxe edition.

I would agree with you, but for two points:
    My only two points, I notice...

- the CCG aspects of Decipher's website were updated with lightning speed, often daily (or, on occasion, more than once daily).
    I should have been more specific. I meant the RPG section of the web site.

- to date, the Powers That Be haven't made any statement officially cancelling the deluxe edition.
    As I said, at the time Jeff was part of TPTB and since the web development team wasn't updating the web site, the boards were the only way to make an official announcement.

But I'm not here to argue the semantics of what conmstitutes an official announcement or not. How would I know anyway, I'm just the Net Rep, right?

Didn't mean to get too argumentative or hair-splitting with you, Doug.

It's just that the RPG line has been treated as Decipher's red-headed stepchild (or worse), and it's hard to treat a "temporary" announcement (such as is on Decipher's lousy board software) as being an official announcement, regardless of whom it came from.

According to my local games shop, the distributor is still listing it as "delayed" rather than cancelled, so I would guess that Decipher has not bothered to official cancel solicitations on it.