Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with an idea

Southeast Kansas (40 feet from the middle of Nowhere)

Help with an idea

I am thinking of a chronicle set just before Angmar attacks in 1409. I have three characters: 1 Dunadan, 1 Elf, and 1 Half-Elf. I've created an NPC that will trail them and make their lives miserable. He is, in fact, a vampire and a spy for the Witch King who attaches himself with the party as a trusted comrade.

I've been thinking of different ways this "friend" could cause trouble, then picked up my Atlas of Middle Earth and saw that Rivendell was besieged in 1376 and thought, "Let's figure out how to get this guy into Rivendell." Now, my characters will be responsible for the siege.

What can anyone tell me about the siege? How long it lasted? Who was involved? How do I get this guy in without Elrond figure out who or what he is so he can do his mission? I've thought of small scenes where the PCs see him strolling down the street, deep in thought when he is actually pacing off distances (much like VC infiltrators do in the movies).

Any and all help is requested and greatly appreciated.

dustin
    Professional soldiers are predictable, unfortunately, the world is full of amateurs.

In life, there are defining moments; it is for you to decide whether the moment will define you, or if you will define the moment.

I can't pull off the "traitor in the party" trick anymore--it's been done too manytimes. But if it is a new trick to your players, then more power to you!

There is virtually no information available that I've found for that part of the Third Age. In fact, the siege of Rivendell is not even mentioned in Tolkien's ROTK appendix (it must have come out of the "History of Middle-earth" series). So it seems you have quite a free hand to expand upon this event without running afoul of the canon. Even the date seems to be flexible--Fonstad labels it "around" 1375.

The only advice that I can really give you is to keep the siege in perspective. Rivendell is not an armed fortress like Helm's Deep. In the descriptions that we have from Tolkien, he makes no mention of walls, battlements, or even keeps. The only structure described in detail is Elrond's Last Homely House--and it really is just a mansion. I think Peter Jackson's team did a marvelous job of envisioning Rivendell in their movies, and I would base it off their visuals. So then how could Rivendell withstand a siege? I would advise you to have the Elves of Rivendell make use of nature: it is, after all, a dell (valley) cloven by rivers. Imladris, thus, is defended by rivers, mountain cliffs, and forest on its various sides. Elrond's magic power extends to all of these natural barriers (remember the River Horses?), which he can manipulate to defend his land, so in that sense I think Rivendell is much more like Doriath--a "veiled realm" that can only be found and entered by those whom its lord wishes to admit. So a "siege" of Rivendell might rather be a "leaguer" (blockade) rather than entrenched assault lines.

Also keep in mind that (especially in the early Third Age) many of Rivendell's resident's are Noldor High-elves, and so would be very skillful defenders. Rivendell must have had a larger population, though, because in the Second and early Third Ages armed forces marched out of Elrond's valley. Who formed these larger hosts of Elves? It is difficult to say. Tolkien implies that there would no longer be enough Noldor to form an army, so it is likely that Rivendell at its height was home also to some Sindar akin to Elrond (who was Sindarin through his mother's lineage) but probably also a great many Nandorin-elves of some variety (I always liked to think that the pleasant Laiquendi "Green-elves" of Ossiriand managed to escape Belariand and settled in Rivendell...that would go a long way to explaining all the playful singing of the Valley-elves in THE HOBBIT).

As for getting your spy into Rivendell...I recommend some kind of deus-ex-machina. Perhaps the Witch-king has given the vampire a "magic cloak" which shields his true nature from even the perceptive minds of the Elves? But as soon as the cloak is removed, his evil is announced like a trumpet. The advantage of this is that it fits well into Tolkien's stylistic devices: he's got magic cloaks all over his books, including The Silmarillion. Good luck ot you!
    Scottomir's LOTR Game Resources:
    http://www.geocities.com/scott_metz/

This is the first time I've tried the Trojan Horse bit. This is only my second attempt at running a chronicle, so everything is still new. The vampire is actually a character that one of my players created for the last chronicle. I figured I would use someone they already know so they won't be immediately suspicious of him (they have come to expect the unexpected).

I greatly appreciate your comments. The one about a cloak with a veiling enchantment is good. I just might use that.

I wasn't concreate on a traditional siege, like that of Yorktown or Khe Sahn, but was leaning more toward your idea of a blockade with some incursions into the city. The "siege", I think, is going to come toward the end of the story. Afterwards, I'm thinking about fast-forwarding thirty years to 1409 and the conquest of Cardolan and Rhuduar, which will be a whole other chronicle. For now, I'm going to concentrate on their recon missions into Arnor.

Any ideas for this?
    Professional soldiers are predictable, unfortunately, the world is full of amateurs.

In life, there are defining moments; it is for you to decide whether the moment will define you, or if you will define the moment.

A word about vampires in Tolkien: they are not like in Anne Rice, biting people and turning them into vampires. Rather, they are demon-like entities (probably lesser Maiar) who manifest themselves as giant bats with human-like heads. Morgoth gave them all magic cloaks that permitted them to take the guise of whatever they wish. If any vampires still existed by the Third Age, they could take the form of another character but could not actually make a mortal character a vampire.

As for questions about the fighting in Rivendell and Arnor, I think you're best having the heroes do specialty missions that could not change Tolkien's timeline. Rivendell can't be allowed to fall...though perhaps the Orcs might threaten a "sacred grove" which the heroes may or may not be able to save. Rhudaur cannot be saved...but perhaps there is a young princess who may or may not be safely carried out to Rivendell, etc. Likewise, Rivendell itself shouldn't be raided (Elrond's power of Vilya shields his realm), but there could be battles to turn back Orcs at the river or hunt them down when they get lost in the bordering woods.

My basis for the vampire is the "Fell Beasts and Wonderous Magic". How accurate is that description? They are spirits that possess bodies and use them to affect the world. In a spirit form, they are incorporeal.

I had no intention of letting Rivendell fall. At first, I think I'll use the vampire to try and lure them to Carn Dum where the Witch-King can have his way with them, but something will turn them around and they will head back to Rivendell. That's where the vamp will learn the way and report it back to Angmar.

Thanks for your suggestions,

dustin

Watertown, WI (between Madison and Milwaukee), USA

Rivendel Merp module?

If you can get your hands on it, you might want to look in the old MERP module for "Rivendel". I can't remember if it talks about the seige or not, and my copy is at home not here in front of me. Is there anyone who has that module handy and can tell us if any info on the seige is in there?

Also, regarding vampires, I think that the FBWM description of them is not too bad, but the picture is horrible and gives people who are not familiar with Tolkien's works the impression that Bram Stoker wrote the LOTR
    In the hierarchy of living organisms, it's snakes all the way down.

Re: Rivendel Merp module?

Originally posted by ReptileJK
    Also, regarding vampires, I think that the FBWM description of them is not too bad, but the picture is horrible and gives people who are not familiar with Tolkien's works the impression that Bram Stoker wrote the LOTR [/B]
    I've been reading a lot of posts about the opinion of the vampire picture in the FBaWM. I pictured my vamp as looking totally "normal" but with a few hints, i.e., pale skin, cold and clammy hands, always seems to disappear just prior to a vampire attack, etc. What I am counting on, though, it that my players still think in terms of Anne Rice and Bram Stoker. Two of them, my wife and her best friend, are fans of Buffy, so I hope to use that to their disadvantage!

Also, while I sat in my World History and Sociology classes this morning, I had an epiphany. Tell me what you think:

At this time, Arthedain and Rhuduar are having border disputes (like the ones between MO and KS in the 1850s) as a result of Arthedain's claims to the failed thrones of Rhuduar and Cardolan. What I was thinking is, that during one of these raids, a young Dunedan girl is kidnapped and Elrond sends the party to help rescue her. In the meantime, the girl has escaped her captors (which is why the vampire is also looking for her), and they must track her down before the Witch-King's minions do. The characters don't know why, but for some reason, Elrond knows that this girl is very important, and so does the Witch-King. Elrond says, "Her line is one of destiny and will produce a great king."

What do you think?

dustin
    Last edited by dustin; 02-16-2004 at 02:41 PM.

Another brainstorm

I have one male character. He is a half-elf about 25-30 years old. How's this for a plot twist: the girl that is rescued is about the same age and the two fall madly in love. After all is said and done, they have a daughter who, in turn, marries Prince Araphor of Arthedain before his father is killed at Amon Sul. You see where I'm going with this one?

dustin

I think ideas like kidnapped princesses and border disputes are interesting and in-theme for Tolkien. However, I'd just caution you against anything that could alter the canon timeline. If you make this princess someone *too* important...what happens if the heroes fail? And if you simply decree that she can't ever be harmed, then where is the risk and challenge for the characters. That's why I always prefer something with emotional value (oh no, a kidnapped lady) but that doesn't change the timeline.

Regarding vampires, I think FB&WM totally missed the boat. The picture is straight out of "Ravenloft". Their description is debatable. Tolkien only details vampires in The Silmarillion, and in that story they are lesser spirits (Maiar?) whom Morgoth calls into his service and spies and messengers. When they take corporeal form, it is as a giant bat. However, Morgoth gives them magic cloaks so they can assume any guise...even appearing as specific individuals.

Originally posted by Scottomir
    I think ideas like kidnapped princesses and border disputes are interesting and in-theme for Tolkien. However, I'd just caution you against anything that could alter the canon timeline. If you make this princess someone *too* important...what happens if the heroes fail? And if you simply decree that she can't ever be harmed, then where is the risk and challenge for the characters. That's why I always prefer something with emotional value (oh no, a kidnapped lady) but that doesn't change the timeline.
    All Elrond tells them is that hers is a "line of destiny that will produce a great king". This can be taken two different ways: One is, if they succeed, the girl is Aragorn's distant grandmother. The other is, if they fail, her children were destined to reunite Arnor. That's my "out" if things go terribly awry. Either way, I do not change canon.

If the characters believe that she is an ancestor of Aragorn, it adds a very real sense of urgency.

dustin

Something else to keep in mind is that, ultimately, it depends on what you think will be fun for the characters. If you change *small* aspects of what some may consider cannon to add excitement for your players, then I don't think it's the end of the world (as long as your players aren't people who nitpick minute continuity details). Unless you have those very stringent type of PCs playing, no one will really care. What they will care about, however, is whether or not they have fun.

Good luck!

Touche!

Any ideas for some sticky situations and other troubles I can put them in. I think I've settled on making the vampire the 'big bad' for this, now how does he go about causing problems?

By the way, all of the comments and suggestions have really been helpful. I think I have enough to start my first chapter this Sunday.

dustin

Well, we played the first chapter of this chronicle tonight. Before we got started, two more characters joined the party--total of five now. We have: 1 elf ranger, 1 half-elf ranger, 1 Dunedain noble woman from Arthedain (it is her younger sister that has been taken and she has asked Elrond for help in finding her), 1 Arthedain soldier (who is very resentful that he has to babysit the noblewoman while there is a war on), and 1 middle-man rougue that is in the pay of the noblewoman.

My plan of introducing a past PC as an NPC backfired. They totally suspected that he was the vampire (which he is). So I had to give them some background info on vampires (basically, the info from FB&WM), of course, it was the vampire that told them this information. Now, they are all paranoid that anyone of them is going to be possessed by the vampire at any minute. So, I'm thinking of going the other way and using Scottomir's suggestion of a vampire based on Mr. T's writings, with the whole magic cloak and such. Any opinions on this?

Also, the noblewoman is going to create problems for me. I really don't have any real ideas about how she can be used effectively. By nature, most of her talents will lie in the social skills, but I don't really know how to use them. How do y'all do it? (I'm from SE Kansas, please excuse the accent).

Playing to the warriors' strengths is pretty easy--start a fight. The rogue and noble is a little tougher. Help!!(whimper, whimper).

dustin.

I *love* writing for nobles and diplomats, what I have a hard time with is getting players to play them. Put plainly, it is easier to play a bruiser. Role-playing is less time consuming, attention to detail is less taxing, and all you really need to do is declare two attacks every round and you've filled your role in the game.

So I always put lots of diplomatic challenges in my games. Here are a list of things I've done with social challenges...

* Perform test to impress a council of envoys and to distract an enemy army so that they would not instantly attack
    * Inquire test to gather information from targets not instantly willing to cooperate
    * Debate test to win an argument before a ruling council and to negotiate a treaty between warring factions
    * Persuade tests to convince border guards you are not a threat, to gain passage through controlled territory, and to convince a council to accept a particular course of action
    * Intimidate tests to trick a foe to leave one character alone to pick an other, to cow a rival noble who was trying to whip up sentiment against the heroes, and to compel a warlord to accept the characters as legitimate envoys from their king

So I think there are lots of really cool things to do with social skills, and many different ways to use each skill. Don't forget about the specializations. A scene using Debate (Parley) has a very different feel from one using Persuade (Fast Talk).

Good ideas by Scottomir. Another good application of a Noble's skills is having them try to find a diplomatic solution to a problem rather than resorting to combat. Tell your noblewoman to speak up the next time your warrior pcs are thinking about fighting. Tell her she can use her diplomacy skills to stop the fight before it begans (this may make your fighter-type pcs unhappy at first, but remind them that they'll still have plenty of opportunities to get involved in combat )

Oh yeah, this probably wont work against fell-creatures, like trolls and goblins, etc.

Reptile