Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [TrekRPGNet] Your input requested

$12 to $24 a year does not seem unreasonable.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Don, I would be more than willing to pay for content, but what kind of content will you be providing? I realize that official trek and LotR rpg content is out of the question, but will you be providing high quality unofficial trek and LotR rpg PDFs? If this is the case, sign me up now! As you mentioned, however, you can make all the fan material you want, you just can't charge for it. So, if I understand correctly, this material will be 100% free to everybody it is just that paying members will get access to it a little sooner?
    Last edited by E W Dawson; 02-27-2004 at 05:50 PM.

Originally posted by E W Dawson
    Don, I would be more than willing to pay for content, but what kind of content will you be providing? I realize that official trek and LotR rpg content is out of the question, but will you be providing high quality unofficial trek and LotR rpg PDFs? If this is the case, sign me up now! As you mentioned, however, you can make all the fan material you want, you just can't charge for it. So, if I understand corretly, this material will be 100% free to everybody it is just that paying members will get access to it a little sooner?

If it's anything like trekrpg was a while back, it would be fanmade supplements hosted on the site for free. I guess it would be up to Don to make sure there was an editing or selection group of people to make sure the stuff was worthwhile and of a good quality.

I for one, would volunteer my editing and layout services so that the material would be of a decent quality.

Well guess I should weigh in as well.

I would be happy to pay $25 - $50 dollars a year, given all the help I have garnered and friendships I have made through this place.

Count me in in a big way.

Originally posted by E W Dawson
    So, if I understand corretly, this material will be 100% free to everybody it is just that paying members will get access to it a little sooner?
    Correct. That's my current thinking.

However, as is the point of this thread, I'm open to any ideas.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

That is just what I wanted to here, Don. So how do I cast my vote for the new face of trek-rpg.net?

I would first attempt to sell the idea of an official trek rpg website to Decipher once again, however. In this day and age, if a rpg wants to be on the cutting edge they need to provide quality web content/support for their rpg lines. I realize web support is the least of Decipher's worries at this moment, but it should be a major consideration at one point or another. But lets face it, it is a long shot at this point. We have waited long enough. It is time to see what the fans can do.

Too me, $25 to $50 a year would be well worth 2 to 4 high quality PDFs especially if they have strong envolvement by former Decipher employees. Assuming PDFs are the format of the content, I think a base price of $10 per major PDF (say 25 to 50 pages) would be a reasonable price. Additionally, a monthly publication (in PDF format) similar to Gandalf of Borg's Hall of Fire publication for the LotR rpg but focused on the trek rpg would be well worth $2 to $4. The thing is, however, that I am not sure people will actually pay for this content if it is all "free." I suppose the only way to find out is to run a 6 month trial and see how it is received.

EW, I think the intention would be to offer the PDFs for free. If one charged for the product, I'm pretty confident the licensors (Paramount and New Line/Zaentz Co.) would want a piece of the action, and might even want to review potential products.

Not sure about the legalities, but if they're free, it's possible that legal and monetary quagmire might be avoided...

However, I think it's certainly feasible to say something like "Your $30 annual membership gives you a bunch of benefits, plus the runners of the site promise to deliver X number of laid-out PDFs per year for the Trek game and LOTR game."

Though it would partly be up to the fans to submit that stuff. Thinking aloud, I could see the volunteer development team taking a fan's basic submission and prettying it up for better presentation. Heck, maybe we could come up with a trekrpg-net trade dress so that all the PDFs have common design themes. That way, any time you look at it, you could think "Yep, that's a trek-rpg.net product."

Just random thoughts...

As I have been mentioned in an another's post, I will weigh in as well on two issues: one on topic and one slightly off, but in response to the previous post. (internal monologue: too many words, get to the point)

First, I agree and am willing to support the site by paying for access to the website, but would suggest that the delay of content access be optional because the webzine IMO is something all should be able to get as soon as they, when they want it... but that's just me.

Second, I would like to develop a Star Trek webzine in the same likeness as <i>The Hall of Fire</i> and had previously attempted to garner interest in it, but only got one person's interest. If there was more, I'd get on it right away as I already have an outline for it and everything, just need the writers.

GOB

I would support the site by paying an annual subscription (no more than £20). However, at the end of the day there are so many free forums out there one needs to offer a unique thing to entice people to join.

Take a look at portent.net . This web site is probably the most popular Games Workshop site and it struggles to find advertisers and paid subscribers (I am a paid subscriber). What do the subscribers get? Well, a little symbol by their username to indicate they support the site, the ability to search the message boards and elimination of banner ads.

Maybe these boards could do a simillar deal, perhaps allowing subscribers to also have avatars.
    www.unfinishedtales.net

'Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of their works' JRR Tolkien

Originally posted by Brandir
    Maybe these boards could do a simillar deal, perhaps allowing subscribers to also have avatars.
    Such was brought up by Don a page or two ago - I think that's pretty much one of the "givens" for the potentially refurbished site.

After reading the threads, I noticed most folks have said they're willing to pay $20 to $30 US per year to continue to have access to the boards.

Although I appreciate all that the site has given me in the past, my wallet is only willing to go $10 to $12 per year.

Considering this, perhaps you could have multiple levels of membership at various prices from which users can choose.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

There really hasn't been any other site to compare to this as far as Trek gaming support. I've been visiting for years (back when LUG still had a webpage & Icon Links), so I'd be sad to see it go as well.
    But, I can't imagine your level of frustration from the LUG days thru Decipher. I, too, think you should do what's best for you.
    That said, if you were willing to try & keep things going, $1-$2 a month would be more than fair.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by StyroFoam Man
    Sorry, I don't see it.

We killed our fanbase with the over-the-top political discussion. As a band-aid we kill all such discussions now. ICON is no longer supported here. Anytime someone posts an idea for somthing different than "mainstream canon" Trek they get basted.

As much as I enjoy comming here I just can't see this site surviving the transition to a pay site.
    I agree. Except for the comment on politics, you have to discuss other things sometimes the just Trek. But, hey that's just me.

Pay money to get all "perks" of the site and still not be able to say what I want? Don't think so. I've already been spending more and more time over on AEGs and Mongoose boards, if Trek goes "pay per view" I'll be over there full time.

Sorry.