Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: [TrekRPGNet] Your input requested

Originally posted by Phantom
    Berating you, eh? I thought I was asking a question.
    The day is young.
    Anyway, I thought the "donate what you can" was a good idea.
    The problem with "donate what you can" is one of disparity.

Ineti donates $40. He gets the benefits of membership.
    Phantom donates $20. He gets the benefits of membership.
    Styro donates $10. He gets the benefits of membership.
    Cmdr. Matt donates $5. He gets the benefits of membership?

Where do you draw the line? $5? $1? Lets say we decide on $20 (USD) on a membership fee. Frankly, if you can't afford $20 USD a year then you've got larger financial problems than me. I don't want their money if it is going to be a financial burden for someone to pony up $20 to help support this site. Ultimately, it's just a web site about a game.
    Or are you thinking of using an "at par" system?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Specifics, please (or a solution).
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    Ah, so that's your fiendish plan is it? We're onto you Mappin.
    I think it's pretty clear: the ion storm has struck again and we're dealing with Dan Moppin! Get thee hence, pizza-demon!

(I can just see it after we've locked him in the brig: "All right, Hunter, whatever your game is I'll play it. You want pizzas, I'll give them to you. You'll be a full man. A Little Caesers of your own? I can swing that too."

"Apparently, some kind of transposition has taken place. I find it...extremely interesting."

"Hunter. What is it that will buy you? Dipping sauce?"

"Fascinating."

"Dipping sauce, Hunter! I can get that for you!")

I'm sorry, it's been a long day.
    Last edited by D.S.McBride; 03-02-2004 at 01:29 PM.

Originally posted by Liz Not Beth
    So, lets get down to it. How much would I have to pay? Throw some numbers out there Don.
    You first. (Actually, I've tossed numbers around a couple of times in this thread already.)

The better question is "what are you willing to pay?" Ultimately I have to court users like yourself to help support the site so what is a reasonable amount for you? Also, what would you like to see/get for that money?
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Originally posted by Don Mappin

Ineti donates $40. He gets the benefits of membership.
    Phantom donates $20. He gets the benefits of membership.
    Styro donates $10. He gets the benefits of membership.
    Cmdr. Matt donates $5. He gets the benefits of membership?

Where do you draw the line? $5? $1? Lets say we decide on $20 (USD) on a membership fee. Frankly, if you can't afford $20 USD a year then you've got larger financial problems than me. I don't want their money if it is going to be a financial burden for someone to pony up $20 to help support this site. Ultimately, it's just a web site about a game. I'm not sure what you mean by this. Specifics, please (or a solution).
    If you were to go that way you would have to set a scale. Example, I donate $5 get access to the forums only, the more you donate, the more perks you get. That way it is up to the person to chose how much he/she wants to get out of the site.

Yes, I can afford $20 USD for a memebership. If it were a perfect world. But, with Lodge dues, paying out for Karate classes and university tuition, plus bills that have to be paid and the charities I support (or at least try to) as well as the other sundry daily expense we humans have to endure do you really think I WANT to see more money leak out? Sure this is a worthy thing to keep going, but I have other financial things to worry about. Enough of this we all have similar problems, mine are just compounded by exchange rates.

The "on par" means $1 CDN=$1 USD.

Ah McBride it's a damn good thing I'm not munching on a pizza right now or I would of just coughed it up all over my laptop laughing.

That was damn funny.

Think I wanna go watch Mirror, Mirror now

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

If you were to go that way you would have to set a scale. Example, I donate $5 get access to the forums only, the more you donate, the more perks you get. That way it is up to the person to chose how much he/she wants to get out of the site.
    Uuugh. That would be a pain in the ass to administer. [Edit] With a blanket membership I could automate the whole thing fairly easily.

Anyhow, what would the scale look like? Examples, please.
    The "on par" means $1 CDN=$1 USD.
    I understood that. What I don't understand is how you suggest I handle such equity. I work in USD, which means if someone donates a 10,000 lira that doesn't do me much good ($6.43 USD). It sounds impressive, though.

The current exchange rate has $20 CAD = $14.93 USD. Again, see my earlier post about the disparity problems.

How is it equitable to have Ineti pay $20 USD and Phantom pay $20 CAD for the same services, even though you're only paying 74% of what Ineti is?

Further, lets expand that example to people of other countries. I mean, if it's good enough for Canada then it should be good enough for everyone, right?

One of our Italian users then donates $20 ITL, translating to a grand total of...$.0128 cents!

Now lets factor in the ever-changing exchange rates and it becomes even more confusing.

The only way to make it equitable for everyone is to use a common currency. In this case, the one I operate in...USD.

If I'm missing something (anyone!) then please tell me. I don't know how to handle the problem of several countries and varying exchange rates and make it equitable for everyone. It would seem to me to be unfair to provide the same privileges to Canadian members (as an example) who in actuality paid less to support the site.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Originally posted by D.S.McBride
    I think it's pretty clear: the ion storm has struck again and we're dealing with Dan Moppin! Get thee hence, pizza-demon!
    For the record, based on this thread, I had pizza for lunch today.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Funny. Based on this thread, I'm watching Mirror, Mirror while I have my dinner.

I did have pizza yesterday. Texas BBQ chicken. Yum.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    1) Uuugh. That would be a pain in the ass to administer. [Edit] With a blanket membership I could automate the whole thing fairly easily.

2) How is it equitable to have Ineti pay $20 USD and Phantom pay $20 CAD for the same services, even though you're only paying 74% of what Ineti is?
    1) Who said change was easy?

2) The reverse is true as well. How equitable is it for Ineti to pay $25 US (using top price as example only) and myself to pay $34 (based on today's rate) out of my pocket for the same service?

As to the scale? ::shrug:: I guess it would depend on how you set the site up. Say, a min. of $5 (example only) for access to the forums only, $10 gives access to where the PDFs are located, on so forth more you donate the more shiny the perk. I can't really give a clear example without knowing what I have to work with.

2) The reverse is true as well. How equitable is it for Ineti to pay $25 US (using top price as example only) and myself to pay $34 (based on today's rate) out of my pocket for the same service?
    But your not paying $34 (USD) -- you're paying $34 CAD! You're (nearly literally) comparing apples to oranges. They don't have the same purchasing power.
    I can't really give a clear example without knowing what I have to work with.
    Examples exist in several places in this thread. I've thrown out a few or make up your own.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

I don't post that often but Phantom does have a point. I already have to shell out almost double CAD than what I bid in USD for items on ebay to supplement my RPG collection (shipping included, although its a little less with the current exchange rate)

I wouldn't mind paying $20 USD right now, but what if my greenback takes a dive and goes back to the 60 cent levels it was almost a year ago. I would be forced to give up paying just to keep my money at home where it would go further.

I know 'at par' is not the greatest thing, but what if you set a price for Canadians that we would still be able to afford if our dollar went tumbling. The same could go for other countries.

I'd just like to make this clear right now: This site originates in the U.S., we're talking U.S. dollars. That's fine with me. If it was the U.K., it'd be pounds sterling. Well and good.

I was going to make a statement about how much - or little, really - I earn, but I decided I don't want to embarass myself. Twenty-four dollars equals roughly thirty-five, thirty-six or thereabouts? Fine. I blow more than that on parking tickets every couple of months (I don't have to buy my tickets, I have them given to me).

I'm fully on line for the refurbishment of this site, and whatever it takes to get the ball rolling. The fun is worth it for me. End of story.

P.S.: "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."

Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by D.S.McBride
    P.S.: "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."

Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season)
    Yea! A new quote!
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Ah, immortality is mine! Thanks, Don.

It seems to me that since everyone is going to lose out on Pizza money, that maybe the 'monthly prize' could be a Pizza delivered to your home.. it solves two birds with one stone - gives you the chance of getting Pizza and solves the issue of what to give people as a prize (and's pretty cheap LOL)
    Ta Muchly