Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronald Reagen has died at age 93.

Ronald Reagen has died at age 93.

Like a lot of politicians, the man was polarizing. Nevertheless, he was an important figure in his day, and I believe his passing is noteworthy.

Re: Ronald Reagen has died at age 93.

Originally posted by Fesarius
    Like a lot of politicians, the man was polarizing. Nevertheless, he was an important figure in his day, and I believe his passing is noteworthy.
    Indeed. He is on the list of Americans I admire.

RIP Ronnie, I think you've earned it.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    God rest his soul, and may his family find comfort that he is most assuredly in heaven.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Rest in peace Mr. Regan. God-bless.

An end of an era.
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

Aye rest in peace, he'll always be my most favored American president.

"The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

I think he died a decade ago, or so. The man wasn't much of a man due to his diseases/disorders. I'm glad the shell of that great man is put to rest. Now we can freely remember his great moments without being reminded of his weakness.

/salute Ronnie
    Uruz - Alexander Skrabut - uruzrune@gmail.com

Originally posted by Uruz
    I think he died a decade ago, or so. The man wasn't much of a man due to his diseases/disorders. I'm glad the shell of that great man is put to rest. Now we can freely remember his great moments without being reminded of his weakness.

/salute Ronnie
    This is by far the most offensive post I have ever read since joining this community. Shame on you!

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    Ergi, I believe that Uruz was talking about Reagan's battle with Alzheimer's. At the stage it had reached, you could argue that the man who was Reagan was dead while his body lived on.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

I know how it was meant.

Who else should die, so we can freely remember his great moments without being reminded of his weakness?

Muhammed Ali comes to mind, or Christopher Reeve. But they might still qualify as "men" since they don't have Alzheimer's disease in the terminal stages. How lucky they are.

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?
    I see your point. Perhaps a better way to phrase it would have been that it's a blessing that President Reagan's suffering has ended. He is now free of the pain & confusion and is in a better place. Not a call for euthinasia, but a recognition that he's no longer suffering.
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Normally, a person loses about 0.2% of their brain mass each year. An Alzheimer's disease patient loses about 3% of their brain mass each year (the structural changes are obvious even to those who aren't physicians). That means that Reagan lost 30% of his brain mass since his diagnosis. Usually, by the time diagnosis is possible, the symptoms have been apparent for a year or two.

It's probably safe to say that the essential part of Mr. Reagan -- the part that ran the country, loved his wives, raised his children -- did, in fact, die a long time ago. I don't think that statement was meant disrespectfully.

Yeah, I didn't mean it offensively. I don't believe in "blessings," though, so I stand by what I said.

Rest in peace, Ronnie.
    Uruz - Alexander Skrabut - uruzrune@gmail.com

Having seen two relatives go through Alzheimer's, I know what Uruz is talking about, and the way it was meant.

RIP Ron, I think you earned it.

Cheers

Tas
    I'm NOT stupid, I'm NOT expendable and I'm NOT going!

At a time when it would have been all too easy for my generation to grow up with the pessimism and cynism of the 70's Reagan gave us a belief in simple opptimism even if you didn't agree with his politics if you grew up in the 80's you invariably believe that your cause will prevail eventually. As supporters of any cause we tend to not have the huberius, selfness nor self rightious of our parents generation but a sense of "get'er done". I think we owe that to Reagan.

At a time when the Status Que seemed as if it would last an eternity He asked a simple question "Why don't we try to win?" Cold warriors and Leftist doves screamed bloody murder for eight long years as the US and its allies mounted a coordinated peaceful assault on Communism and then astonished all by winning! Perhaps his one true mistake in all those years was one even he said he regreted upon leaving office that in Sending the Marines back into Lebanon. But even though the fallout was long he made the decision with 400 dead to leave before the US truely fell into the quigmire that was Lebanon. His only other true failure was at its root a move to free American Hostages though you can ague with the means his motive was just.

On Saturday when I heard the news I stopped my car on the quiet and solitary country road I was driving on. MY President was dead the man who I owed so much too for the way I see my country, my world had passed on. Like when my grandparents died I tried to cry to shead some tear, the emotion was such, but I couldn't becuase I knew like them, He was expected on the other side of the river by so many more who were his friends, colleges and yes even foes then those who remain here. But I am sure he will wait until his beloved arrives before he crosses.

As Edward Stanton siad of Lincoln I think it now applies to Reagan as well:

"Now he belongs to the ages"
    Draftsmen in Training

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Well said, Eric. I think that defines the 80s generation quite well. I'm proud to be a part of the generation that grew up with Reagan as president, and his death has made me rethink the way I've lived my life the last 15 years.

Regardless of politics and faith, his honor, integrity, charm and kindness should be the ideal to which we all live our lives.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz